It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you cut on the city/county level?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrganizedChaos
I would stop law enforcement from taking home vehicles, or using them for their own personal activities.

Tax payers should not have to pay for that expense. I also think county LEOs should live in the county that they are employed in.

Good Report
edit on 7/16/2011 by OrganizedChaos because: (no reason given)

I agree. Have the same number of police cars for the same number of police on duty per shift. Drive your own vehicle to work and get assigned your police car for your shift. Why should you get to take it home and have it sitting in your driveway all weekend while you're off duty. Good one Chaos!

edit on 16-7-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelling

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I would shut down all public schools and require the kids to work in forced labor camps.
Stop all public transportation and make people ride horses or mules.
Close down all the jails and bring back public flogging and stocks.
Make all public employes work in just their underwear or naked depending on the job.
Free all the animals in the Zoo except for the emu.
Open the Land fill to public scavenging.

edit on 16-7-2011 by whaaa because: todays code is 9

I seriously agree with numbers one and two on your list... except the "forced" part of number one. And I would replace horses and mules with bicycles. Anyway, public schools are such a waste of time and end up being more harmful to children than good (as usual, here is a link to support that statement: www.remnantofgod.org... ). Homeschooling is much safer, plus it will save millions of dollars to not have a physical location, and with less supplies, salaries, etc. As far as the labor part goes, it would be a wonderful thing for part of the children's homeschooling to become a part of a community garden. They would learn something very useful and rewarding, not to mention the fact that if everyone had their kids join, and then joined it themselves, community hunger would be cut down dramatically, or even disappear.

I don't know about anyone else, but I really would love to be able to ride a bike around town. The only thing that is stopping me is that no one where I live knows how to drive, and I can guarantee that I would end up in an involuntary game of "chicken" with some fool who doesn't know that a red light means "STOP"! If they required everyone to walk or ride bikes (except of course those with legitimate reasons, such as medical issues, etc.), can you imagine how much money would be saved? People would no longer have to decide between going grocery shopping, or buy fuel; or, taking the family out to eat and to have some fun, or buy fuel. The amount of money that would be pumped into local economies would be amazing. And there would be far fewer accidents, deaths, injuries, rise in medical costs. It would be wise to keep public transportation to some extent, though, because I doubt those in big cities would want to ride a bike or walk many miles from one end to the other.

Oh yeah, and allowing public scavenging would be alright, too, because you never know what you might find!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

The governor's pay and the representatives' pay and I would cut motor vehicles/privatize it... I would cut pensions for ex politicians, I would cut funding for airports until the TSA BS was over. I would cut stuff like AA AND NA. And any funding that goes to the rehabs, let them people take them selves out of life really.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.
Cut the pay of the mayor, city counsel and police dept. by 25 %
and downsize the numbers of offices necessary to do their business.

All state paid smoozing meetings do not need to be catered...want food, bring your
own...want to use golf as an excuse for a meeting...pay your own greens fees only...
Everybody else can pay for theirs.

Don't need "crotch" rocket motorcycles for the barnyard...pigs can always ride a bike...
or better yet...let 'em walk...would do 'em good to get to know who employes them.

You said just one...sorry...I could think of sooo many more.
edit on 15-7-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

This is sound and logical. Our mayor makes 85K a year for a town of 27K! Jesus! 27K! He has a biz degree from our second rate college and works maybe 125 days per year, most of that smoozing. Do the math 1000 hours a year, that's 85 bucks and hour and don't get me started on the kickbacks!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Oh and while I am ranting, I am sick of our portly cops taking their cars home. They need to buy these fat porkers bikes to ride home. I am a volunteer fire fighter with a local rural service and friend of mine who is a state trooper told me not one of our town cops, that's 25 or 26, is not consider morbidly obese.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Had you asked this question in early spring... I would have suggested July 4th fireworks across the entire nation.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I have 2 things that have been really annoying me.

- Salaries larger then 100k.

- No more city funding of large events.
I think it's ridiculous that city's have to pay for, for example, sport-events. Let the organizers pay for hiring security, fencing off the area's, renting extra transport for supporters etc.

I just thought of the following idea btw: I think that there are lots of people in (large) city's who wouldn't mind taking care of pieces of the local park or general landscaping for free. Give them some freedom to do with it what they like to encourage people.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Cities and counties are actually pretty easy. One, they need to sell all the land that they sit on. No reason that land can't be sold and added to the tax base. Parks, lots, liquor stores.... All this stuff really should be in private hands, paying taxes.

Get rid of city/county employees. Get subcontractors to do the jobs. You would likely need a handful of people to manage the subs (or the mayor could do it). No reason everything from police to street cleaners to school lunch ladies can't be hired by a private company to do the job. This frees up government buildings (puts the land back into the tax base). Gets rid of the government obligations with having employees, puts them into the hands of a taxpaying business.

EDIT: The ultimate goal of this is efficiency. When a private entitity is not efficient, they cease to exist and another firm takes it place. Government can't be efficient.
edit on 17-7-2011 by croweboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Heros_son

Perhaps we should stop giving Israel Billions of Dollars every year and stop our wars , then we use the money to grow OUR economy and educational system.

The time has come for Israel to cease to exist ( Root of all problems in the world )

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Airi81

You're right - there are many roles that could be handled at the local level by volunteers, particularily the retired folks who often want/need something to do. In the communities I've lived in, it seems that the only place that effectively uses volunteers is the library.

I mentioned sports programs in a previous post. The administration of leagues could easily be handled by volunteers, who are typically full time employees, we currently pay $12/hour for a ref for both basketball and football games. There are many retired folks who have the knowledge and skill to run a game and who would do it for free.

Retired folks are one of the most under utilized components within society. They have a lot to offer, many of them would love to offer it if they could do so flexibly and many would do it for free.
edit on 17-7-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
I have worked for the city and county of denver and another metrpolotin city and can honestly say, wasted money doesnt even begin to explain it! I have witnessed 1st hand the disgusting money wasting. However , the reason why it is like this is because nobody wants to work themselves out of a job. To truly save money the city needs to contract this roadwork and other projects out to private sector. imo

I'm on the fence with your idea. The theory is sound, but I have seen first hand the graft and use of sub-standard materials used by some (not all) contracting companies.

It provides a great opportunity at City Hall/County commissions to strong arm kick backs. Though, sometimes it is just out and out bribery on the part of the contractor.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join