It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need a new hobby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I've been finding myself spending a lot of time alone now, and I'm finding myself trying to fill the time. Aside from lurking the Interwebz, I've been desperately looking for a new hobby.

I'm a university student so finding a hobby that requires money is almost completely out of the question. I'm open to all ideas!

So, throw some suggestions this way! Anything goes (except costly things), and the more creative the better!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I would suggest learning to knit. You can find the how to's on the net and yarn is not really going to break the bank. It helps with stress as well. I suggested looped bamboo needles to start, and a big ball of some fairly cheap yarn, and starting with a scarf pattern.....easy, cheap, and worth the time learning to do. Hope this helps!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by beauty from pain

At the libraries in Canada i believe its free to rent-out movies and Books.

There are purportedly many games online you can play for free MMO's and many other types of games.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
You could do card flourishing? Sounds odd doesn't it haha. Here's an example of what I mean:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I used to find old bottles that were unusual and then build ships in them made from pieces of wood, toothpicks, cigarette papers and matchsticks. I used the secret seal plugs so they were corked with a crossbar holding the wooden carved cork in tight.

You could use a small exacto set but a good penknife that can hold an edge for a long time is fine. Assorted welding rods and stiff wires. You will figure out what hooks and bends to put in them real fast.

A few decades ago. I made around a hundred of them and I know one was sold to a collector for $200 as an example of primitive folk art. It was an average ship but I found a nice piece of driftwood and cut it down into the perfect stand.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I would suggest learning guitar, I'm not great at it but I love it. Plus if you don't have much cash pawnshops or craig's list is a good place to look. Or if you're artistic, and enjoy tattoos, learning how to give them is very fun and stress relieving. That last one is bit expensive though until people will pay you for it.... Hope one of those help.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I see you're from Toronto Canada . I was there for the G20 . For an inexpensive hobby maybe stroll over to Jane and Finch on the warm summer evenings and count gunshots .
Went to some big mall , Etins Center ? Good place for people watching and striking up conversations in the food courts . Make a bird house .

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
how about volunteering at a community center ? or help look after people with a disability, or elderly people ? maybe go for walks with people in a wheel chair ? cleaning the universe on a local location ?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Have you checked out....PINTEREST

Lots of cool stuff out there to do for free..

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
sometimes when i get really bored i might just have a little fiddle with myself. not sure how you girls do it but i am sure you will get it with a bit of trial and error.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bandito
I see you're from Toronto Canada . I was there for the G20 . For an inexpensive hobby maybe stroll over to Jane and Finch on the warm summer evenings and count gunshots .
Went to some big mall , Etins Center ? Good place for people watching and striking up conversations in the food courts . Make a bird house .

Jane and Finch is only bad at night, and the crime seems to be moving down towards other areas. It's sad

The Eaton Centre is way too big for my taste, I avoid people!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Learn to play an instrument, it's absolutely the best thing you could do. It will expand your mind.

Not necessarily guitar, everybody and his brother plays guitar. Go to pawnshops, buy a cheap instrument. Go nuts. Even a ukulele is cool. A trumpet, a sax, even a flute.

I met a guy once who had a saxophone he had made out of bamboo, it was the coolest thing I ever saw, and amazingly enough it sounded exactly like a real one! In fact I think that guy is a little famous. Yeah, get some bamboo and try it, I'm serious.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

I've been slowly teaching myself the keyboard that my friend gave to me years ago. I know how to play basic guitar, and basic cello.

That bamboo saxophone sounds amazing!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
In fact, check this out!

I'm gonna get some bamboo and try to make one myself! It's cool!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
* Creative writing (stories, poems)

* Knitting

* Painting/Drawing

* Turning the local stray animals into your own private army for world domination

* Basket weaving

Those are just a few ideas. Hope they help.

I play guitar but I'd love to learn the whamola.
edit on 15/7/2011 by curious7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7

* Turning the local stray animals into your own private army for world domination

Done! If I become the Overlord of Earth it's your fault

top topics

join