It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Case Against the "Prime Directive"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
In short, the only worthwhile nonhumans and/or ET humans are the ones who are truly serious about revealing themselves to us, obviously in a truly benevolent enough way. Secrecy, while possible for good people/beings nowadays to be FORCED into (having no other real choice), is in this political world THE strongest factor in ALL policies and laws and their enforcement, and is simply unacceptable to we who are more civilized than that. What the hell is there to SHOW for rule BY secrecy in general, known and unknown? Those who need to hide what they are and do are, basically by definition, up to no good, or at least not nearly enough good. The proof is in the sociological pudding, in the extreme enough level of overall dysfunction. Case basically closed. It's time to REALLY expose and destroy, or at least neutralize, the most plainly corrupt ruling class of today. Secrecy IS the problem.

For all we know, there may be a real "Prime Directive" that rules the roost among the intelligently unseen (IU) operating on this planet, but as a permanent, utterly reactionary policy, there is no sufficiently logical or moral basis for the idea. The "PD" has become, to a significant enough extent, its own de facto religion-cult, where any sleazebag can invoke it as an excuse to maintain business/secrecy as usual. When an intelligent (enough) species is politically-economically freaking out in a hardcore enough way, and creating enough havoc upon itself and its natural environment, logic and morality dictate that a more advanced people should bestow as much knowledge and abilities as possible, and reasonable, upon said lower, plainly needy enough people as we Earthlings.

I tend to believe that, given the excessively hostile environment(s) on this rock (at least now), there is great wisdom in the (friendly) ETs holding out for as long as REASONABLY possible before Contact occurs, and indeed I've basically always had the feeling a full-blown SHTF societal collapse is required for such a historic moment to transpire, if ever. Of course I hope I'd be wrong, and The Great Change can somehow be done bloodlessly, terrorlessly, or at least enough so, but with the, um, inordinate number of many various militant freakazoids in this "civilization," it ain't looking good, but who has a crystall ball?

The idea that there is some kind of clandestine program of gradual awareness of the ET presence until humanity as a whole is ready for Contact, fulfilling the Star Trek-Hollywood definition of the PD, is a farce when met with the REALITIES of the monolithic institutions of official secrecy and religions, the ultimate double-whammy. SYSTEMIC change is needed before any real progress can begin; we need truly new (to us) concepts of government and leadership. Such change can be initiated only by certain actions that will or would be deemed as exceedingly unexpected and powerful.

It would be wonderful-beyond-expression, and clearly preferable, if there can be, as the primary force for change, simply enough people getting off their butts and speaking out about ALL things even slightly related to the machinations of secret government, instead of waiting on the unseen realm (or "God") and/or whatever other powers that be to make everything happen. Unlikely as it seems, perhaps a sudden, large enough number of folks demanding the WHOLE truth and NOTHING BUT the truth will happen after all, thereby, ironically, unintentionally actualizing the original meaning of the PD: We're ready NOW, so bring in on, suckahs! Whatever happens, those of my spiritual-political community are already prepared as such, if no one else.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Very interesting thoughts.

I'll have to re-read your post when I get home to give you a better answer, but I still believe in the need for a "prime directive"-like rule. Maybe we should put ourselves into the different roles to get a better idea...
drakus

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Maybe thats why different figures throughout history have tried to take over the world, one language, money, religion etc. They could still view Earth as a planet of savage tribes (i do) that are in costant conflict and competion that the tribes make very little progress as a whole. Hitler might have had the right idea but gone about it in the wrong way.
But I will agree that the planet needs to be unified in order to make contact. We cant even get along with ourselfs, why in the hell would an advanced race want anything to do with us?
And to what purpose does the human being serve on this planet and would the planet be better off without the human being?
edit on 15-7-2011 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by StratosFear

Enough human beings have created enough great works of art (visual, including architecture), literature, music, theatre, cinema, dance, a certain percentage of science, athletics-sports (and whatever else I'm leaving out) to justify its preservation as a species, in my opinion, however probably reduced in population, at least eventually.

Btw, regarding your name, are you familiar with the Dukes of Stratosphear, the retro-psychedelic incarnation of XTC back in the '80s? They're amazing, as any group with Andy Partridge as the principal songwriter (in his prime) would be.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Lightworth

No interference in the healthy and "normal" development of a culture...is subjective.
Unless you know whats normal for the culture your assessment must be based on your own ideas of normal.
Interference may be justified if development is straying from normal.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by StratosFear
But I will agree that the planet needs to be unified in order to make contact. We cant even get along with ourselfs, why in the hell would an advanced race want anything to do with us?

Well it's possible that contact could cause unification, and not the other way around. If ETs are waiting for unification before they make contact, it's going to be a seriously long wait, too bad for us
. And why would they want anything to do with us? Well if we are their creations, or experiments, or somehow related to them, I guess those would be decent enough reasons?

Originally posted by newcovenant

No interference in the healthy and "normal" development of a culture...is subjective.
Unless you know whats normal for the culture your assessment must be based on your own ideas of normal.
Interference may be justified if development is straying from normal.

Could be, but IMO a natural development, whatever course it takes, good or bad, would be normal.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
If there is intelligent life out there, I think on their space maps there is a skull and bones with a warning to stay clear and not to drink the water where our planet should be. Think about it if we didn't attack them they would be hounded by the paparazzi, followed by groupies, stalked by creepy cult members who want to worship them like gods. If they did catch a break to do some research or take in the sights they would have to worry about germs, drugs, booze and who knows maybe even STDs. Face it we are the Tijuana of the cosmos. Nobody in there right mind would visit except to take in a donkey show or buy the "I survive Earth" T shirt.
edit on 16-7-2011 by Ladysophiaofsandoz because: double post

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
If there is intelligent life out there, I think on their space maps there is a skull and bones with a warning to stay clear and not to drink the water where our planet should be. Think about it if we didn't attack them they would be hounded by the paparazzi, followed by groupies, stalked by creepy cult members who want to worship them like gods. If they did catch a break to do some research or take in the sights they would have to worry about germs, drugs, booze and who knows maybe even STDs. Face it we are the Tijuana of the cosmos. Nobody in there right mind would visit except to take in a donkey show or buy the "I survive Earth" T shirt.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Nice post and well-written too. This idea of a Prime Directive is often used to explain why we haven't gotten any closer to solving the UFO enigma. It's a neat idea, but discredited by simply googling keywords like 'aliens,' 'ET invasion' or 'UFOs.' Turning on the TV is often enough to challenge the idea. Our society is saturated with beliefs in aliens visiting and much of it is due to the UFO activities of the 40s/50s/60s.

If the UFOs are actually alien craft, they screwed up big-time when it came to not influencing, or interfering with, our society!

The silence is what seems to power our imaginations into explaining what the UFOs are and what they might want. Stan Friedman says 'quarantine' and Charles Fort said 'we're property.' The Exopolitics and scammers tell us that UFOs are peace-loving aliens bringing free energy and higher vibrations, whilst others are spreading scare-mongering ideas of demons and abductions.

In spite of the fears that society would collapse, most people would accept the 'new reality' like they have always done. People adapt pretty fast to change when they have no other choice.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Are you refering to Tangerine Dream? Thats where i got my name and my unconditional love of air-to air combat. I live for the dogfight.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz

I completely agree but I can say all that in a couple sentences. They don't visit us for the same reason we don't visit a crack house. The risk out weighs the benefit ten fold.

We are just a society of addicts, I'm not just referring to drugs, although most people are medicated (professionally or self treatments). What always comes first to an addict? My girlfriend is laying in the bedroom waiting for me to get done posting this so we can watch a movie. I'm no better than the people I'm referring to.

Neither are you, or you and even you! I don't blame them one bit for staying away.

new topics

top topics

join