It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature's Revenge: Bee swarms plague Calif. neighborhood, kill dog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Bee swarms plague Calif. neighborhood, kill dog

Nature is calling.

Could this be related to the nicotine based pesticides???

By The Associated Press
8:09 a.m., July 15, 2011

Aggressive swarms of bees tormenting a Southern California neighborhood have killed a family dog.

Residents in the southwest Riverside County community of Wildomar say the bees can be heard buzzing at certain times of the day. People are now timing their comings and goings to the bees' schedule.

Kim Bammes' chocolate Labrador mix, Reggie, died after being stung so many times the veterinarian lost count.

The Riverside Press-Enterprise says Bammes tried but failed to get help from the county or city. County officials say there's little they can do because the hive is on a neighbor's private property.

The bees built large nests on Bammes' home and an exterminator killed some 8,000 bees. But the exterminator warns the bees will return if the main hive with the queen isn't eliminated.

I really hope this is not the start of a new natural trend.

Bee swarms plague Calif. neighborhood, kill dog

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
That hits very close to home for me.

A local man was killed by a swarm last year.

I thought we had less bees.

There is no shortage of bees in So. Cal.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Nature finds a way, it seems. The more brutal or careless we get about her, the more vicious she is about finding a return to proper balance in life. Perhaps this is just one small sign of the tipping point being reached where nature becomes our enemy rather than our tolerant friend. There had to come a point where this began to happen eventually.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I guess my point is that just as anything that is disrupted by man's actions, pests and weeds always come back more aggressive.

Since Colony collapse disorder is being blamed on the pesticides that are nicotine-based: neonicotinoids in every affected country accept the US & UK, I am wondering if the bees have adapted to survive but now with added aggressiveness as a side-effect.

Colony collapse disorder - Wiki Link

"Nicotine Bees" Population Restored With Neonicotinoids Ban

Following France and Germany, last year the Italian Agriculture Ministry suspended the use of a class of pesticides, nicotine-based neonicotinoids, as a "precautionary measure." The compelling results - restored bee populations - prompted the government to uphold the ban. Yesterday, copies of the film 'Nicotine Bees' were delivered to the US Congress explaining the pesticide's connection to Colony Collapse Disorder. Despite the evidence, why does CCD remain a 'mystery' in the US?

"Nicotine Bees" Population Restored With Neonicotinoids Ban
edit on 7/15/2011 by EyeHeartBigfoot because: typo

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Good lord, each year is looking like a chapter in the bible! Earthquakes, fires, floods, strong winds! Next we'll have plagues of locusts, be breaking out into boils and lesions. Not to mention the bloody water.
Makes you really sure about getting right with your maker.

My god and It's only the beginning. I've never heard anything like this, I may be young but I never known swarms upon swarms of bees to be so damn angry
edit on 15-7-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Since the article didn't say what type of bee's they are i would guess that they're Africanized honey bees. Very nasty, aggressive type of bee's
edit on 15-7-2011 by CynicalWabbit because: spelling correction

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalWabbit

Excellent point.

I was just assuming they were european honey bees.

No mention of type here either...
Aggressive bee swarms torment California neighborhood for weeks, kill family dog

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Things like that is why the Indians used slash and burn land management for countless hundreds of years. Regular burning and clearing kept the pest down.

After we come here and no longer use those management tactics, then nature is returning to normal.

So, reality is exactly opposite of they way you try to portray it. The bee swarms are not because of our use of things to control the environment. It is because we no longer exert the control over the environment that humans use to.

The presence of the bee swarms are things going back to a “natural state” from lack of outside control.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

Makes you really sure about getting right with your maker.

My god and It's only the beginning. I've never heard anything like this, I may be young but I never known swarms upon swarms of bees to be so damn angry
edit on 15-7-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

Ya, better think twice before you throw that pop can in the garbage..

I think this would be bound to happen due to an improper management of that hive.
Probably unknown location or what not.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
That poor dog. I'm surprised the neighbor on whose property the aggressive hive is located isn't held to account.

I'm very surprised if these are not Africanized bees. I have grown up around honeybees and known them to be fairly docile. I even can touch them and they do not react. Of course I've never allowed myself near a hive! I'm allergic to venom thanks to the aggression of yellow jacket wasps that have stung me enough times over my lifetime without provocation to induce sensitivity.
edit on 15-7-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Typoholics Anonymous help me with these drafted typos!

top topics

join