It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New law prompts marriage officers in Deerpark to quit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by olliemc84

What I find funny is this town supervisor, Karl Brabenec, put out a flier during the national Young Republican convention for his birthday party, which was called Karl-palooza '03. The flier promised "lots of beer, liquor and sex to go around all evening" and encouraging women to attend wearing as little clothing as they can.

soooo....
it doesn't say HETERO SEXUAL SEX....

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Yeah i'm not seeing how the birthday bash suggestions have anything to do with marriage laws.

Care to elaborate on the connection?

Because if you are a republican, you have to do nothing but go to church and read the bible, otherwise you are a "hypocrite."

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

Originally posted by olliemc84

What I find funny is this town supervisor, Karl Brabenec, put out a flier during the national Young Republican convention for his birthday party, which was called Karl-palooza '03. The flier promised "lots of beer, liquor and sex to go around all evening" and encouraging women to attend wearing as little clothing as they can.

soooo....
it doesn't say HETERO SEXUAL SEX....

Exactly

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99

Originally posted by kro32
Yeah i'm not seeing how the birthday bash suggestions have anything to do with marriage laws.

Care to elaborate on the connection?

Because if you are a republican, you have to do nothing but go to church and read the bible, otherwise you are a "hypocrite."

I never said that.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

Considering the unemployment, the jobs will be filled soon enough.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
I also do not support gay marriage. Additionally, were I still on active duty I would be resigning. Like it or not, homosexuality is an aberrant lifestyle choice.

NO - - it is a natural birth right.

Belief - - as you do - - is a choice.

IMO, and I have seen no real evidence otherwise, homosexuality is a choice. It is an aberrant choice at that. These people have a right to decline to perform these unions.

Then they can quit, and someone who knows their job isn't to be carried out with prejudice but upholding the requirements of the land can be hired, simple.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
If a teacher or a civil servant refuses to serve someone who is black, white, native, young, old, straight or gay due to their own mindset, let them find other employment. When they're doing a civic job, they uphold the laws without prejudice. It would be like a public school teacher refusing to teach brown eyed kids.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants
reply to post by ShiftTrio

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
~Mahatma Gandhi

OT, but I also just saw this one (had never seen it before) and liked it as well.
“God has no religion”
~Mahatma Gandhi

Damm facebook had me looking for the like button =)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustinSee
Well, good riddance to antique religion and antique morality. Here is to the future!

Lol, so much ignorance it's outstanding!

Nothing much else to say except old article, why are we even discussing it? I support the guy though, he's practicing his right to walk out on something he doesn't agree with.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Couldn't agree with you more, while I cannot say I am an atheist, most of the people I have seen that show love and compassion as taught by Jesus have not be Christians. (Not that they are not out there, so it is not a bash on Christians) Just the ones who like to shout it the loudest, seem to be the farthest from it. They also seem to talk a lot about liberty, and freedom and how great America is, as they bash other Americans for things that they do not agree on and have no problem oppressing them. The hypocritical nature of it all, just seems so obvious, but does not seem to get through.

Oh well...

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Forcing someone to fulfill a legal obligation against their own conscience is a positive, someone resigning because they oppose fulfilling a legal obligation against their own conscience is a negative. The former is the absence of choice and the latter is the presence of choice; they aren't the same. There's no bigotry here. Only individual agents exercising their natural rights.

*legal consenting adults. No animals - child - incest (how pathetic a disclaimer like that even enters the mind)

So two consenting adults who happen to be married don't have the same legal rights to marry each other? That's inconsistent. Either legal consenting adults can marry or they can't. Incest is no different.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by imherejusttoread

*legal consenting adults. No animals - child - incest (how pathetic a disclaimer like that even enters the mind)

So two consenting adults who happen to be married don't have the same legal rights to marry each other? That's inconsistent. Either legal consenting adults can marry or they can't. Incest is no different.

I am not discussing the disclaimer in this thread.

Its pathetic that I even felt the need to use it.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Reply to post by Annee

So Yeshua, being a Torah following Jew, condoned homosexuality?

Don't get me wrong, to each their own. Government should not have a place in it either way, but to assert that Yeshua would side against the very law that he came to hold up in perfection is a very huge leap in logic.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 7/15/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Adaptability is man's greatest asset for survival. The fact that the marriage clerks in question resigned showed to me that they could not adapt to society's changing needs.

As several other people have already pointed out these jobs will be filled in no time due to the economy. Hopefully some people who are more accepting of homosexuality will fill the openings.
edit on 15-7-2011 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
For the record though I believe homosexuality is wrong. Having said that though let them "marry" the world is already screwed up this will not change that. I say it in quotes because it would not be one sanctioned by God but by man and man is corrupt. Jesus never took the option of sinning away from people He just told them about their sins and they made a choice.

Isn't that for the persons church to decide if it is sanctioned by the god of their understanding? Hate to inform you of this, but there are gay Christian churches, I happen to live about a quarter mile from one here in Phoenix. No one has a strangle hold on the understanding of god or of jesus the christ.

O holy one, please descend back to earth you have forgotten the meaning of love.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Annee

So Yeshua, being a Torah following Jew, condoned homosexuality?

The bible is interpreted. Any person can CHOOSE - the interpretation they wish to follow.

Those who CHOOSE Hate and Abomination - - do so of their own free will.

Another interpretations below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walter Wink, is Professor of Biblical Interpretation at Auburn Theological Seminary in New York City. He has also taught at Union Theological Seminary and Hartford Seminary, and has been a visiting professor at Columbia and Drew universities. In 1989-1990 he was a Peace Fellow at the United States Institute of Peace in Washington, DC.

Homosexuality and the Bible
by The Rev. Dr. Walter Wink

Sexual issues are tearing our churches apart today as never before. The issue of homosexuality threatens to fracture whole denominations, as the issue of slavery did a hundred and fifty years ago. We naturally turn to the Bible for guidance, and find ourselves mired in interpretative quicksand. Is the Bible able to speak to our confusion on this issue?

The debate over homosexuality is a remarkable opportunity, because it raises in an especially acute way how we interpret the Bible, not in this case only, but in numerous others as well. The real issue here, then, is not simply homosexuality, but how Scripture informs our lives today.

www.soulforce.org...
edit on 15-7-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
So - - this story is what? 3 years old?

Here's a new one for you. There'll probably be more.

New York clerk quits over same sex marriage

By Raw Story
Tuesday, July 12th, 2011 -- 2:42 pm

by On Top Magazine

Laura Fotusky has quit her job as town clerk of Barker, New York rather than sign marriage licenses for gay and lesbian couples, POLITICO.com reported.

New York last month became the sixth – and most populous – state to legalize gay marriage after Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a marriage bill approved by lawmakers. The law takes effect on Sunday, July 24, and several cities, including New York City, have announced they'll open on the law's first day.

Fotusky said she quit because of her faith.

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Reply to post by Annee

That is all fine and dandy, but does not refute my point in the slightest

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Good to see people standing for there convictions. But really, who cares?. Wether or not getting some gays get a legal document that, lets be honest, will essentially only ever serve to waste both the courts and the tax payers money at a later date is not going to have any effect.

Theres plenty of crazy stuff i dont believe in, not going to quit my job over it, infact, considering how financialy grim things are you would pretty much have to be an unstable maniac to quit your job over something so trivial.
edit on 15-7-2011 by nyk537 because: For lude and sexual content. Please refrain in the future.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join