It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New law prompts marriage officers in Deerpark to quit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

New law prompts marriage officers in Deerpark to quit

www.recordonline.com

All couples, whether they're gay or straight, are going to have to search a little harder to find someone to officiate at civil weddings in the Town of Deerpark.

Both of Deerpark's marriage officers are resigning their posts on the heels of the change in the state's marriage laws recognizing same-sex unions.

Town Clerk Flo Santini has resigned as a marriage officer. Supervisor Karl Brabenec says he's planning on turning in his letter of resignation as a marriage officer at Monday's Town Board meeting.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.recordonline.com

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
What I find funny is this town supervisor, Karl Brabenec, put out a flier during the national Young Republican convention for his birthday party, which was called Karl-palooza '03. The flier promised "lots of beer, liquor and sex to go around all evening" and encouraging women to attend wearing as little clothing as they can.

Sometimes I really hate living in this country full of blatant hypocrites.

www.recordonline.com

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by olliemc84

What I find funny is this town supervisor, Karl Brabenec, put out a flier during the national Young Republican convention for his birthday party, which was called Karl-palooza '03. The flier promised "lots of beer, liquor and sex to go around all evening" and encouraging women to attend wearing as little clothing as they can.

Sometimes I really hate living in this country full of blatant hypocrites.

www.recordonline.com

What's hypocritical about that? He's advertising his birthday to be a traditional form of debauchery. The fact that he doesn't want to be legally obligated to do something he personally disagrees with doesn't make him a hypocrite, it makes him a free man.

Lots of "bad people" have standards and mores as well.
edit on 15-7-2011 by gncnew because: Engrish

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
They have their views. I also do not support gay marriage. Additionally, were I still on active duty I would be resigning. Like it or not, homosexuality is an aberrant lifestyle choice. I applaud them for standing up for their convictions. Just so we are clear, while I find homosexuality disgusting I do not support these idiots who go around and kill or assault people just for being homosexual. I support EQUAL rights. Any man should be able to marry the woman of his choice and any woman should be able to marry the man of her choice so long as the relationship is consensual.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Let the door smack them on the ass on their way out.

Lots of people looking for jobs - - that support equality.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Yeah i'm not seeing how the birthday bash suggestions have anything to do with marriage laws.

Care to elaborate on the connection?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
I also do not support gay marriage. Additionally, were I still on active duty I would be resigning. Like it or not, homosexuality is an aberrant lifestyle choice.

NO - - it is a natural birth right.

Belief - - as you do - - is a choice.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I also do not support gay marriage. Additionally, were I still on active duty I would be resigning. Like it or not, homosexuality is an aberrant lifestyle choice.

IMO, and I have seen no real evidence otherwise, homosexuality is a choice. It is an aberrant choice at that. These people have a right to decline to perform these unions.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Umm....the original article was posted in 2003. That's 8 years ago. Why are we discussing it now?

What am I missing?

Plenty of lessons for Orange GOP in 'Karlpalooza'

Published: 2:00 AM - 08/11/03
Last updated: 7:34 AM - 12/16/10

edit on 15-7-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well, good riddance to antique religion and antique morality. Here is to the future!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Yeah i'm not seeing how the birthday bash suggestions have anything to do with marriage laws.

Care to elaborate on the connection?

He is quitting because it clashes with his Roman-Catholic faith, yet can promote a party that is full of sin and debauchery.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

So you would give up pride to your nation, a salary, pension, medical benefits, etc. just because homosexuals can get married. I just don't understand the prejudice that people have towards other people and their right to do whatever they want to do. I could care less if gays can get married. What effect does it have on your life?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

IMO, and I have seen no real evidence otherwise, homosexuality is a choice. It is an aberrant choice at that. These people have a right to decline to perform these unions.

In your opinion? You've seen no real evidence? What evidence have you been poring through? How many Gay and Lesbians have you counselled? Known? Interviewed? Helped? How many of your family members have come out? What prompts this aberrant lifestyle? Where does it come from, the Devil?

What researched have you propagated to come to this educated opinion of yours?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

You can have all the opinions you want - - you are still wrong. Attraction to same gender is a natural birthright.

Did you choose who you are attracted to? NO? You were just naturally born that way?

You honestly believe this diverse minority group would choose to be hated and ostracized by society? You really believe that?

Of course - - you have the right to believe what you want - - - that is choice.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

It is called strength of convictions. He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
These officials are exercising their freedom. Let them.

Many people believe that their convictions should the preferred metric for establishing secular law. Why this is so has more to do with 'group-think' than with logic (an endangered species, I know).

I cannot for the life of me see why the choice of partnership should be restricted as compelled by choice of religion. The government has no 'rights' - and it never will - it is it's place to oblige the citizens in their pursuit of liberty and happiness.

On the other hand, the dogged insistence of the gay 'movement' to eradicate the traditional boundaries of the institution of marriage eludes me. I'm not saying they can't have a legally equal union; and I'm not saying that the government can deny them those things which other citizens have. But to have couched this debate as one of 'marriage' or not is ludicrous. Many citizens can't get married as they wish because they come from different faiths and neither will convert. That's why civil unions are in place, to maintain that freedom and equality. What gender has to do with it is strictly a matter of personal opinion.

If these two can't bring themselves to provide the services for which they are paid without the imposition of their personal faith-based belief, then this is not the job for them.

my 2 cents.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Ok so heres the deal. These two people (Brabenec and Santini) are town employees and are also elected civil servants. They are resigning from a duty that is voluntary. My argument is that if these two don't want to do something for the township that could potentially provide additional revenue for said township, they should be released from their duties, since the STATE made it legal. Now they are leaving an entire township with a population of about 9,000 people without marriage officers.

Lets say I worked at, I dunno, McDonalds, and I worked the register. If one day they needed me to make burgers and I refused because I was a vegetarian and it was against my morals, I'm pretty sure they would fire me.

I thought our founding fathers wanted a separation of church and state....

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

reply to post by olliemc84

It is called strength of convictions. He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression.

Thomas Jefferson

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
So they are bigots -- can you only be a bigot about one thing or does bigotry permeate everything.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I'm not saying they can't have a legally equal union;

Separate but equal creates a second class citizen.

There would be no end to: "you don't have a real marriage" - "my marriage is sanctioned by god" - - etc etc.

Its All or nothing. Marriage belongs to everyone*

*legal consenting adults. No animals - child - incest (how pathetic a disclaimer like that even enters the mind)
edit on 15-7-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join