It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toilet 2.0 Human Feces & Urine = Gold

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
A Human-Waste Gold Mine: Bill Gates Looks to Reinvent the Toilet Read more: www.time.com...

Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft who has morphed into the world's best-known philanthropist, wants to reinvent the toilet. According to UNICEF, at least 1.2 million children under the age of 5 die of diarrhea every year; the main cause is contact with human feces.

Turning human waste into a source of energy is something that has been pondered for years. We already do it with cattle and chicken waste. Manure is known for its rich nutrients for growing as well as a heat source. When piled high, some hills have been known to actually catch fire because of the intense heat generated from within. Makes a great fire log as well!

He says there are biological bacteria that could turn waste into compost; he talks about the possibility of toilets actually turning urine into drinking water. Human waste could be a real gold mine, Rijsberman jokes. In view of the world's limited water resources, both the Gates Foundation and German Development Policy support various projects for dry toilets that do not use water to flush and that separate excrement from urine in order to dry it.

Another method put forward by the Gates Foundation in South Africa is using the urine of 400,000 people to make nitrogenous fertilizer in powder form. A similar albeit high-tech variation is currently being tested by the Society for International Cooperation in Eschborn, Germany. Germany and the Gates Foundation's projects are complementary, says the German Ministry for Development. The importance of this research is not always easy to explain, says Rijsberman, because anything having to do with human waste provokes a "yuck factor." Read more: www.time.com...
Chicken waste is also prized for its rich nutrients and ability to be used as an energy source as well. The Netherlands have ventured further into the field by powering homes with it.

Chicken Manure to power 90,000 Homes in the Netherlands! Read more: Chicken Manure to power 90,000 Homes in the Netherlands! | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World
inhabitat.com...

Situated in Moerdijk, the 150 million euro plant was constructed by the Dutch multi-utility company Delta. It will convert roughly 440,000 tons of chicken manure into energy annually, generating more than 270 million kilowatt hours of electricity per year. The plant also addresses a key environmental problem in the Netherlands: “managing the vast excess stream of chicken manure, which, until today, had to be processed at a high cost”. Read more: Chicken Manure to power 90,000 Homes in the Netherlands! | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World

edit on 15-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Urination a gold mine??!! I understand it is a sterile substance. But to recycle it and use it for drinking water? Sounds absurd and you won't catch me sterilizing my urine so that it is drinkable. I will find other means to suffice my hydration if I become parched.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bokaforo
reply to post by jude11

Urination a gold mine??!! I understand it is a sterile substance. But to recycle it and use it for drinking water? Sounds absurd and you won't catch me sterilizing my urine so that it is drinkable. I will find other means to suffice my hydration if I become parched.

Although it does sound disgusting, I would suggest that in times of need for water, we would resort to almost anything. The technology is there already and it could save millions if used on a grand scale.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Well I can foresee our pharma industry pushing everyone to take our daily Culturelle Supplements..........Gotta increase that friendly bacteria!!

Well with over dispensing of antibiotics, a little known deadly bug called C. Difficile has no good bacteria to counteract its affects...

Our hospital has actually taken the bowel movement of a healthy family member and by using a NG tube, place the BM in the patients stomach for digestion, supplying the patient with all the newly acquired good bacteria, it defeats the C. Diff that is now antibiotic resistant!.....

Its amazing!

edit on 15-7-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I am in agreement with not trying it myself...but the idea is fascinating...I say that in all seriousness from a scientific point of view.

I don't know how it will really impact the suffering in the short term...but the long range implications are interesting and worth considering...then of course we are talking Bill Gates and the man is no dummy for sure so if he feels it warrants some investigation...well...there may be something to it!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well, this kinda thing could be used to desalinate ocean. That will be drinkable than the purified urine

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Finally, all those years of canning my excriment is going to pay off!

Who's laughing at my piss pantry and feces cellar now?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Bill Gates should know about turning feces into Gold.....he made fortune off Windows, didn't he?

edit on 15-7-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
so let me get this right
golden showers = golden mine

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

It is an interesting idea. I can only see this being of use in certain desperate cases. It may become a necessity to find other sources at some point. So I guess figure out the possibilities now. Why not.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bokaforo
reply to post by jerryznv

It is an interesting idea. I can only see this being of use in certain desperate cases. It may become a necessity to find other sources at some point. So I guess figure out the possibilities now. Why not.

I can actually see this for extended space travel and settling other planets as well.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The fact that this is being looked into as a business venture is troubling.

Quality control will be lacking, corp.-backed scientific studies will be rigged and criticisms swept under the doormat.

I say this won't fly...for now.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I've questioned why human waste could not be used as fertilizer before...and was told by more than one person that it is too high in methane gases. It appears I was misinformed...and am happy to read that it can be recycled into something useful.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It's true what they say...

A real salesman can package Crap and people will buy it.

Actually, all joking aside it was only a matter of time before somebody tapped this potential. 7.8 Billion people. That's a lot of potential bio-fuel/manure. Walks off scratching his head. Wonders why he didn't think of selling people his crap first...
edit on 15-7-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thats deep. I am not sure where your going with this. Like using feces to fuel a flight into space? If chicken poo can power 90000 homes then why can we not start pooping in our gas tanks and continue about our business. I think I am going to start saving my poop and pee in the freezer

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Don't forget about Food products from human feces

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Didn't someone already deem the human poop fertilizer as a really terrible idea?
edit on 15-7-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Now what..sell low-cost feces meat to those who are in need?

Sick..humans are a pile of (you know what)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It is not a new concept.
In Toowoomba , Australia, a plant treats sewerage and recycles the water for drinking water

sewerage to drinking water plant
edit on 15-7-2011 by guessing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4314e60aef34.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join