It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Maize/Corn Fields

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports
most of the arguments against Monsanto don't make very much sense - what does make sense is that like any other business should be held accountable for any claims and the government should weigh heavily the cost vs gain or more specifically the potential or real danger of these seeds and a single genetric string to the reality of not taking advantage of them.

The reality is GMO foods will take over someday with the increasing population it's a given - now whether they are through Monsantos current methods or through more advanced methods of manufacturing that may include more strains and either no or different anti bug measures is going to be the future choice.

Circuitsports, While I may agree with you in principle,the problem is Monsonto has never had humanity in mind as a prioriity over profits.

Read about how they do business.

From Agent Orange to trumped up licensing fraud against small farmers,their business model is about profits and control first.

They don't give a rats ass about feeding people if they don't have a profit, regardless of who dies,starves,or goes broke in the process.

It's power against the people that upsets many my friend. And crappy science.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Good for Hungary for having the BALLS to destroy these genetic freaks. Monsanto sucks balls.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyeHeartBigfoot
The corporate shills and lobbyist are already making their rounds:

GMO maize damage may total billions, says expert

Ecologist and forensic expert Imre Lanszki insisted that Hungary will not be in a position to reject GMO in the future, and Hungarian seeds will be at a disadvantage, which may compromise the productivity of national farming.
What the corporate shill says MIGHT be correct if consumers aren't willing to pay any more for non-GMO crops, but I don't think that's a reliable assumption.

Where I live I can now get milk and milk products where the cows were not fed hormones, not because it's cheaper, but because the consumers demanded it.

If consumers are demanding non-GMO foods, then the shill may have it completely backwards and Hungary may be at an advantage instead of a disadvantage. If it's one of the last remaining places where you can get uncontaminated natural seeds, they might actually become quite valuable.

I don't really fear GMO foods like a lot of people do. In the summer I eat an ear of GMO corn a day and I feel perfectly healthy, and I think I'm healthier than most people.

However I can't defend Monsanto and their corporate greed, their lawsuits against small farmers, etc. I do think there's a bigger problem with corporate greed than with GMO seeds, and Hungary's got one solution.

Regarding the farmers getting damaged by the crops being destroyed, fair point. However, how much do you want to bet that the next crop the farmers plant, they double and triple check the seeds to make sure they are not the banned type? If the government didn't destroy the crops then the farmers might think it's no big deal to plant the wrong crops and wouldn't get as serious about avoiding the banned seeds in the future. So yes it's a tough punishment, but it will be much more effective than the alternative.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Very admirable Hungary. Here's hopes that's a display to other countries before there's no turning back. Indeed it's a good thing that the big companies are at least catering to the good of the consumer's want, well, as long as they are being truthful. Some of the independent non GMO, Organic,non animal testing, non flouride, etc., companies have been bought out by the bigger companies, at least so far, with some, can't count for all the product is the same. The more we, as the consumer, demand we want healthier products the further we will get to push these destroyers aside.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Blast some microwaves at Hungary's fields stunting their crops and they'll eventually be begging Monsanto for seeds.

The world has no idea what they are up against.

The US no longer funds its military retirements....Ronald Reagan created a "Fund" where money was put and invested around the world to turn a profit to be able to pay the US military their retirements..

Monsanto is just one of many of those investments. They WILL turn a profit. They don't care if they have to starve/kill millions to get those profits. They've got tools to keep turning a profit you can't even comprehend.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dl2one

At least they're doing something..what have you done to "save the world"?

anyways out of all the places in the world, Hungary would of been the last place I thought that would reject GMO's aka cheap food..
edit on 15-7-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Well in Canada no one came to the aid of farmers when they were sued by Montsanto because a few seeds had blown from one farm onto a neighboring one. Everyone thought it was a ludicrous suit, but they beat the poor farmers in court, no surprise there. What made me sick is that our government did nothing. The farmers lost their shirts. So while I understand what some are saying about the trespass law (which by the way no longer exists in Canada thanks to Bill C-36) I'm glad they aren't going the way of Canada and India. Monsanto plays a very dirty game though, so let's hope Hungary's fields aren't sabotaged next year when the stalks are growing.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Look like Hungary will soon be the only place on earth with no GMO crops.

I should start looking for real estate and brush up on my Hungarian. It's nice to finally hear about a country taking a step in the right direction

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hungary better watch their asses, along with other countries that destroys Monsanto's global progress, because they will fly over and kill everyone's crops and there really will be a food shortage

funny stuff though

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

The corporate shills and lobbyist are already making their rounds:

S&F you just made my day!

Here is the info to counter Monsanto's claims:

Interesting then that a contributor to the FAO's Forum, Professor El-Tayeb, Ph.D. Professor Emeritus of Industrial Biotechnology at Cairo University commented that: "..currently available (GMO's) mostly contribute negatively to poverty alleviation and food security - and positively to the stock market."
www.warmwell.com...

With luck people will stand up and fight this tooth and nail.

For those who are not aware that the World Trade Organization is behind the spread of GMOs READ:

smirkingchimp.com...
www.smirkingchimp.com...
www.smirkingchimp.com...

MONSANTO, the most hated corporation in the WORLD

(Monsanto's new motto)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

I do not support Monsanto nor am a proponent of GM food, but this is just ridiculous. True, the pollination could travel and breed with heirloom or pure stock, but destroying it is, in a way, foolish, unless it is A) only to prevent said cross-pollination or B) to eradicate crop grown strictly for seed, which we do not know....

The private property issue is a problem.

Here are some of the facts.

1. Corn is wind pollinated so it can spread "contamination" over a wide area
2. Some strains of GMO corn have caused major health problems in humans. link

I can not find my link but one strain "Starlite"??? is NOT approved for human use but was exported and caused major health problems in those who ate it.

3. Monsanto has been caught "smuggling" seed into countries where it is banned.

Monsanto's Illegal GM Corn Found Planted In Argentina
India says Monsanto covertly, illegally conducted GM corn trials

4. Once the seed is introduced then Monsanto moves in with their lawyers and detectives to "enforce THEIR patent rights" www.i-sis.org.uk...

This is typical of Monsanto's aggressive business tactics. GMO corn is banned in Mexico, corn's original home.

Study: Modified genes contaminated Mexican corn
AP News - 863 days ago
Study may end bitter debate, claims that modified genes contaminate corn in central Mexico

One of the more acrimonious scientific debates of the decade may have ended with the publication of a study showing that genetically modified material did contaminate native corn in the crop's birthplace in southern Mexico, scientists said Wednesday.

But Elena Alvarez Buylla, author of the article published in the February edition of Molecular Ecology, said the difficult atmosphere surrounding the original debate — which threatened the reputations of some scientists — persists.

The controversy started in 2001 with an article in the journal Nature, which said that biotech genetic material had been detected in native Mexican corn in the southern state of Oaxaca, where the crop was first developed thousands of years ago.

Experts say preserving the genetic diversity of corn in Mexico is important, in case those native genes are later needed to reinforce modern varieties.

Berkeley, California, biologist Ignacio Chapela, the co-author of the 2001 article, was subject to a storm of criticism over his methodology, and Nature published an editor's note saying the evidence had not justified publishing the original article. Chapela was denied tenure after the article was published...
informsciencenetwork.com...

Monsanto is like Gangrene, you have to amputate to save the life of the person. Losing one harvest beats having Monsanto OWN you and your farm for the rest of your life and your neighbor's lives too.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports

The reality is GMO foods will take over someday with the increasing population it's a given - now whether they are through Monsantos current methods or through more advanced methods of manufacturing that may include more strains and either no or different anti bug measures is going to be the future choice.

That's a common misnomer spread by those with a vested interest in companies like Monsanto.

The reality, though, is that more and more evidence is showing that small-ish, regionally appropriate farms growing regionally appropriate foods will feed us all in the future (if we are to be fed), not massive monoculture agri-factories that are increasingly unsustainable, requiring massive energy inputs in the form of fossil fuels.

www.reuters.com...

The report, the U.N.'s latest World Economic and Social Survey, said a sharp move away from large-scale, intensive systems of agriculture was essential if growing environmental and land degradation was to be halted. The food crisis of 2007-08 and a price spike this year "have revealed deep structural problems in the global food system and the need to increase resources and innovation in agriculture so as to accelerate food production," the survey declared.

www.slashfood.com...
edit on 15-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

You are right, the government represents the people and should act as a protector, not as an abuser. Indian farmers had to take the matter in to their own hands, they recently beat the "ding" out of a Monsanto representative lol..

Let the awakening begin.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Indian farmers are pulling their hair out right now wondering why their government isn't stepping in to help the suicide rate for farmers by jumping on board with this one too.

Americans.....don't really care hahaha. Sad, so sad, but true. Sometimes I hate this country.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Blast some microwaves at Hungary's fields stunting their crops and they'll eventually be begging Monsanto for seeds.

The world has no idea what they are up against.

The US no longer funds its military retirements....Ronald Reagan created a "Fund" where money was put and invested around the world to turn a profit to be able to pay the US military their retirements..

Monsanto is just one of many of those investments. They WILL turn a profit. They don't care if they have to starve/kill millions to get those profits. They've got tools to keep turning a profit you can't even comprehend.

Agreed.

Care to elaborate and enlighten, please?
edit on 15-7-2011 by Copperflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by solsticks
Um, hello, I hate Monsanto too, but...aren't any of you noticing (especially on ATS) the irony of you all cheering on a GOVERNMENT DESTROYING PRIVATE PROPERTY? .

Especially since Monsanto suffered no loss whatsoever. People here are revelling in this supposed victory over Monsanto, when in fact the only people who suffered were the poor farmers.

People here also forget that Monsanto isnt the only company in the world developing GMO crops. If in the unlikely hypothetical situation that Monsanto vanished off the face of the earth tomorrow, it wont stop the continued spread of these crops.

People here also forget that this technology is getting cheaper every year. The day will come (if it hasnt already) when local villages in third world countries can develop and patent GMO crops to suit their own local conditions. Do we stomp on top of them and burn them down too?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by solsticks
Um, hello, I hate Monsanto too, but...aren't any of you noticing (especially on ATS) the irony of you all cheering on a GOVERNMENT DESTROYING PRIVATE PROPERTY? I understand the seeds were illegal...but some of you have said 'this should happen in America'. That smacks of something very wrong to me...jus' sayin....

Cause life isn't black & white. Monsanto is the greater of the 2 evils in question.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
The day will come (if it hasnt already) when local villages in third world countries can develop and patent GMO crops to suit their own local conditions. Do we stomp on top of them and burn them down too?

I would be very much interested in seeing the data that you base this statement on.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Yes, Bravo Hungary ! It is very sad and alarming to realize that within a few generations my country has been taken over by Globalist Predictors and Pirates whose goals are to enslave the world and turn it into some kind of Dream Child of Karl Marx with an elite group pulling the strings from their thrones. However and maybe even more of a worry is that generations have been raised up, immigrated and snuck in who they will use against us. I suppose its not a racial thing, as the traitors within are of every race and creed, and some of them are right here on ATS.

I have come up with a test to help people realize if they are with "Them" or with us; if you agree with the principals set forth in this documentary presented by the John Birch Society, you are with "Us" and if not, you are with "Them". This is not a debate but a statement of where I am many like me stand and are drawing the line.

edit on 16-7-2011 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
I would be very much interested in seeing the data that you base this statement on.

Data?
Its just a general observation that all technology becomes cheaper over time. I'd be very surprised to hear that GMO technology was an exception to this rule.

Edit - just to follow up on this, taking a random university in Africa, the University of Nairobi in Kenya, are clearly doing what I suggested a few posts above. Local GMO's for local conditions...
Marker Breeding of the Stay-Green Trait of Sorghum to Enhance Terminal Drought Tolerance in Eastern Africa
(although not much detail exists on the web)

edit on 16-7-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join