It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else bothered by the "Girl found eating herself" headline?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I had to take this thread off of my subscribed threads list.

It was making me physically ill each time that I saw it. I keep picturing the mistreated little girl in a cage, eating her own skin, and it makes me sick.

I am not blaming the member that posted the thread, because we need to know that there are people out there like that do evil things. We also need to know that justice is served on those kind of people.

My problem is.... I keep seeing that headline in even bigger letters on the home screen now. Am I wrong for wanting that to be taken down?

Does anyone else feel this way?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Ha. Now it is gone from the home screen.

Thank God.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I couldn't bring myself to click on that one. Every time I saw the thread title my stomach churned. I considered hiding the forum it was in for a few days so I wouldn't see the thread title. Sad I know, but somethings I just can't handle.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Not to minimize the roles of the parents in any way. But, this article is sensationalizing the claim of the child eating herself.

"She was suffering from bed sores, severe starvation, and so hungry detectives saw the child eating the flaky skin from her forehead."

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Couldn't this have been discussed in that thread? Is it really worth making a thread about a thread title that makes you uncomfortable?

I mean... there's enough crap on ATS without everyone making threads about threads they like or dislike.

It's ok just to think some things you know, I know everyone likes to "like" and "dislike" and "poke" and "tweet" every single thought they have and every time they fart..... but really?

Who cares?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I clicked on the thread because of the title. If it was just 'girl locked in a cage' I probably wouldn't have.

Guess I'm completely desensitized to this kind of thing because I've seen countless stories like it over the years, I know some people are twisted and sick.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This is what producers of news stories do.

It is the reason the OP made it here to ATS.

Perhaps, we should have a 'shock' news flag. If it's red it could mean it's purely shocking, if it's blue it could mean it's fabricated or sensationalized shock.

Anyway, it is clear that as sad as the case was, she was not consuming herself... simply picking at and eating anything she could.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I mean... there's enough crap on ATS without everyone making threads about threads they like or dislike.

I completely agree...what has this got to do with anything?

It definately does not qualify for board and business discussion...what an absolute waste of time...if I started a thread on every thread that bothered me, we would have a forum named after me...Jerryznv's disliked threads forum...I mean really.

I think if you have something to share about that thread (your like or dislike of it) then share it in the thread.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I hear you and am with you.

Then the story of the little 8 year old in NYC that got butchered after getting lost & asking for help...

The wife and I were disturbed by it all yesterday.. and some today. To be honest, that is why I did a thread on a Multi-colored Frog that was found/pictured. Had to escape the other B.S news.

I was surprised Drudge put it up like that.

Good call out!

edit on 7/15/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

No , its not bothering me ... the headline is fine. Its words on a page. What bothers me is that someone would cage a five year old, and put them into a position where they have to devour thier own dead flesh , or starve to death.

Someone had an issue with another headline the other week. It was about a guy who raped his six month old son, and infected him with HIV thinking that the act would "cure" his illness. My argument then, as now is , that words are not capable of inflicting a psychological state on me. The facts ARE. It doesnt bother me to read those words, but to think about the facts of what those words mean... well thats a different matter.

However , one must NEVER allow ones disgust to keep one from reading either a headline, or a main body of information. By shying away from such data, or the headlines which herald such data, we are keeping ourselves from knowing our enemies. That is we keep ourselves from learning all the faces of evil, and how they operate, so that if we come across them, we might smite them and save thier victims. Without the capacity assimilate information on those who make this world a total rotfest to live on, we cannot hope to remove them as a threat.

Logicaly speaking then... man up for the good of humanity !

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

i was. and everyone i told. thats such a messed up repugnant situation to be in when your only 6 years old. bleh i hate the human race. things are going down the tubes. mankinds toilet is clogged in this world of #

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Kids eat their boogers, but you don't see people running around screaming "They are eating themselves!"

That being said, you wouldn't be normal if you didn't suffer a negative emotional response to news of auto-cannibalism .

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I hear you and am with you.

Then the story of the little 8 year old in NYC that got butchered after getting lost & asking for help...

The wife and I were disturbed by it all yesterday.. and some today. To be honest, that is why I did a thread on a Multi-colored Frog that was found/pictured. Had to escape the other B.S news.

I was surprised Drudge put it up like that.

Good call out!

edit on 7/15/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)
Yes, I have a 5 year old son, and 7, 15 and 18 year old daughters. It really makes me keep my eye on them. It really is a scary world today.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Couldn't this have been discussed in that thread? Is it really worth making a thread about a thread title that makes you uncomfortable?

It's ok just to think some things you know, I know everyone likes to "like" and "dislike" and "poke" and "tweet" every single thought they have and every time they fart..... but really?

Who cares?
I do, sorry to have offended you.

I think if you look at my profile and the list of threads that I have started, you'll find that I am not a big 'clogger' on the boards.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Not at all. I didn't click on it either but as others, I have been wondering what brought this poor soul to doing this. I'm speechless for the most part.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

It definately does not qualify for board and business discussion...what an absolute waste of time...if I started a thread on every thread that bothered me, we would have a forum named after me...Jerryznv's disliked threads forum...I mean really.

I think if you have something to share about that thread (your like or dislike of it) then share it in the thread.
The title of my thread completely describes what is to be found therein.

So by clicking on it, bothering to read it and then going so far to post on it..... You wasted your own time, and you chose to do it 3 separate times.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It sounds crazy to say, but perhaps people who do these unbelievable acts to other humans (children no less) have been enlightened by the way things are in the world. I remember finding out about how things really are as a kid. As a young child, I believed that lying, cheating, stealing and causing pain to others was wrong. This was probably due to my upbringing. By the time I got through grade school I had been treated unfairly by enough adults and kids to begin to understand that almost no one played by the rules I was brought up to believe in. By middle school I was running around on the streets with "bad kids" and causing a lot of trouble because I thought it was fun. The bullies, bums, alcoholics, punks, cops, and most adults taught me about the real world.

The criminals are the "wise guys" and understand that the rules are for suckers and everyone is out for their own personal gains, what ever that might be. I became very disenchanted about what's right and what's wrong and believed for the most part is was OK to do just about anything as long as you weren't caught doing it. My attitude changed for a while in college after having a drunken conversation with a philosopher who convinced me that most people in the world were actually good and that a few bad apples didn't spoil the whole bunch. In the work-a-day world I live in now, I see that isn't true. Most people are selfish, petty and would stab you in the back to get ahead or just for the pleasure of getting away with it. When most of the examples of how people behave in real life situations are essentially bad and they are rewarded in some way because of that, then there is little or no reason to be good.

Of course I'm not trying to make any excuses for the type of behavior this post is referring to and I find I'm pretty numb to the horrors I see in the news, however, this story did penetrate my hardened heart and actually produced a tear or two.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by jerryznv

The title of my thread completely describes what is to be found therein.

So by clicking on it, bothering to read it and then going so far to post on it..... You wasted your own time, and you chose to do it 3 separate times.

Yes the freedom of choice is a beautiful thing...and yes I have now done it by your count 6 times...so if your title is all inclusive I should have known your business was about taking a poll..."who else thinks like I do?"...now that you have firmly established that there are others who agree and disagree with your feelings...what are you going to do with your new data?

Did you hope to change the course of topic titles...or was your poll non-specific and only for information gathering?

How do you intend to use your new data?

There...now I don't feel so bad about wasting my time...it might come to some fruition after all!

Provided that you have an answer that is purposeful.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Couldn't agree more.

All this thread has accomplished was to draw even more attention to that threads topic by peaking peoples curiosity not lesson it...

OP this sort of defeated the purpose.
It should have been posted in the thread IMO.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

You are correct, I think that you are defeating your own purpose of conserving bandwidth.

Way to go.

"who else thinks like I do?".

You should have paraphrased that, as it is not an accurate quote.

I wanted to know if anyone else felt physically ill when seeing the Title, after having read the OP of that thread. It wasn't asked as a poll, you have inferred that I am polling.

You talk about me wasting the space on the boards, don't you have something better to do than prolong what you are railing against as being frivolous?
edit on 15-7-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join