It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large 7.9-foot-long (2.4 meter-long) Sea Animal Skull Revealed? (a pliosaur, a type of plesiosaur)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c8ab5ba2e5d5.jpeg[/atsimg]
I find this to be an interesting find related to the ancient past of Earth sea inhabiting creatures. The size of this skull can only be a provide a limited visual of the size of the actual creature. When I see these types of finds it makes me think about the FAR past when Earth was more land locked. Allowing these large sea creatures the oppurtunity to cruise the entire ocean plane with freedom (making their bodies stronger and larger since their living environment was so large) allowing these large creatures the chance to have a diet that would consist of basically any other ocean living creatures around the total Earth oceans.

Put on display July 8 at the U.K.'s Dorset County Museum, the 7.9-foot-long (2.4 meter-long) skull (pictured) belonged to a pliosaur, a type of plesiosaur that had a short neck, a huge, crocodile-like head, and razor-sharp teeth. When alive about 155 million years ago, the seagoing creature would have had a strong enough bite to snap a car in half, according to the museum.

Amateur collector Kevan Sheehan found the skull in pieces between 2003 and 2008 at the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site, a 95-mile (152-kilometer) stretch of fossil-rich coastline in England. The Dorset County Council's museums service purchased the fossil, and later research by University of Southampton scientists suggests that it's the largest complete pliosaur skull ever found.

news.nationalgeographic.com...
So some can only imagine the power that this creature carried with every bite, amazing to have an ability to snap a car in half. There must of been some other fierce creatures existing back then for nature to provide this animal with some much bitting strength. 1 can only imagine the other competing animals who swam with these creatures in the far ancient wild oceans. And basically any other animals back then whos descendents exist today would of as well been equipped with various protection methods, so one can see how many of the old sea monster datas shared could of been real things. Just some of the descended offspring from the elder large animals of the sea.

To go further I think as humanity begins to probe some of the interest moons in the local SOL system like Enceladus or Callisto there may be found in these potential super water bodies even larger and un touched animals that may be giants when compared to the ones found on Earth.

Enceladus:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d4c5cc9cf644.jpeg[/atsimg]

Astronomers have found the strongest evidence yet for an ocean beneath the icy shell of Saturn's Enceladus, suggesting it could join the exclusive club of watery moons in our solar system.

The salty water is likely feeding jets of water-ice that spurt from the moon's south polar region. Such plumes were first reported in 2005, and ever since, astronomers have suspected a liquid ocean might lie beneath the icy shell of Saturn's sixth largest moon.

The new finding, published in the June 25 issue of the journal Nature, could bump this diminutive world ? measuring 310 miles (500 km) in diameter (about the width of Arizona) ? into a class that includes Jupiter's Europa, Ganymede and Callisto.

Callisto:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/633a95544441.jpg[/atsimg]

A recent image from NASA's Galileo spacecraft adds evidence to a theory that Callisto, the outermost of Jupiter's four large moons, may hold an underground ocean.
The image shows a part of Callisto's surface directly opposite from the Valhalla basin where Callisto was punched by a major collision. The opposition point shows no effect from the impact. Points opposite major impact features on some similar-size worlds, such as Mercury and Earth's Moon, show lumpy terrain attributed to seismic shocks from the distant impacts.

The new image is consistent with a 1990s model proposing that a liquid layer could be acting as a shock absorber inside Callisto, said planetary geologist Dr. David A. Williams of Arizona State University, Tempe.

Thanks for your time enjoy

edit on 7/15/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

hi good find, it looks very croc like. Narrow jaw & large teeth are for catching fish?? Skull almost 8ft, the eye socket must be almost 2ft across...thems big peepers. Cant tell if nostriles are on the end of the snout or on top of the head, also the eyes seem to be high on the skull ?? 40ft + stealth predator.. I`m no expert but would a broader jaw not be the norm in power biting? still pleased they`re not on my beach.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
As always I enjoyed your post
And even learned something
SnF

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by neileboy

Yes when I first seen it I thought of giant croc. type as well but they say its like a short neck plesiosaur, so maybe they are related to crocks genetically somehow. I just wish the ocean and ALL seas or lakes could be charted to see whats still around as there are so many places to hide. and to see their current development in todays time would be cool. I think tho back when creatures like this existed there were underwater caves systems within the oceans for them to retreat to and have their young or sleep. Some of the cave systems may still exist today under the oceans. but maybe its better there not iscovered because I could imagine they would get disrupted by some trying to study them.

Thanks for your input

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

I am happy that I have shared something that you have learned from and that you enjoyed it as well.

Thanks for your input within the thread

edit on 7/15/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
YIKES!

Look out Bronto(burger)saurus! That rather large horse tail sandwich just cost you your leg!

I can see these bad boys hanging out in swamps too... waiting for that unsuspecting brachiopod to step a lil closer to the 'floating log'... heh... CHOMP GONE!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Man I see a shark and it scares the crap out of me in the waters!! Could you imagine seeing something like this?? I would never touch water in the ocean ever again!!

Good find O....As always S&F for you...

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

Amazing how you just past RV that automatically
Nice, from my observation of the skull they do seem like the type to sit and wait for din din to come close unknowingly. I wonder tho did a predator of this creature exist also in the oceans or other seas.

Thanks for your input

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Yes it would be quite the site to see. 1 woonders if they were pack hunters or solo hunters. And if in packs like the gators that would be 1 area I am sure most of the animals of the sea would of avoided. I remember seeing a picture a few months back on ATS of a great white shark with 1 really bite taken out of it, many were saying it was possibly a magladon animal of some sort that may have did it. Thing is i dont htink what ever took that bite was found
. thats why I think the oceans contain some very very undistrubed secrets, but again with the spance between land and water maybey its natures way of saying some encounters are not ment to be--atleast for now--

Thank you for your input Chrisfishenstein wihin the thread

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Man I see a shark and it scares the crap out of me in the waters!! Could you imagine seeing something like this?? I would never touch water in the ocean ever again!!
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Ya ! Or what about not seeing it. Which is why I fear the ocean. I can never see even one foot in front of me into the water. Couple that with the emense size of and the fact we don't know what all is out there. Screw that !
I don't fear to much but I don't think we belong in the ocean.

SnF for a great thread.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

randyvs, thank you for your input as well.
Now as far as humanity belonging in there I agree humanity has accepted land as its home. I dont know some think there was a time the single cells played in the water before becomming many creations today, so we have relation but yes in the midst of those, why not prepared I can see your point.. Avoid. Makes sense.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Ok everyone thank for all your replies within the thread. I may be off for a bit but will check back later enjoy.

top topics

join