It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libyan rebels win international recognition as country's leaders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Libyan rebels win international recognition as country's leaders

www.guardian.co.uk

Libyan rebels fighting to overthrow Muammar Gaddafi have won recognition as the country's "legitimate authority" from the entire international contact group co-ordinating policy on the crisis

The entire Libyan contact group decided to recognise the NTC [national transitional council] as the legitimate authority of Libya," Frattini told reporters. "So [there is] no other option but for Gaddafi to leave."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Who is this Libyan Contact group?

In addition to the U.S., the Contact Group on Libya includes members of NATO, the European Union and the Arab League.

www.usatoday.com...

Anyone else feel weird that select countries and groups were to decide who was to lead Libya and then call it this group the International community?
Anyone else raising their eyebrows?

I think to understand this it's important to do some research on the TNC which is what i'm going to do now

Stay tuned for the results if any

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
If no elections where held then they lack legitimacy. In other words this is a puppet group controled by Nato. This is a very sad day for democracy.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Well what a surprise!
Seriously, does anyone really buy this BS? Support (instigate?) an armed insurrection by a limited section of the population and declare them the legitimate leaders? Hell, they even had help setting up a new central bank and oil deals, not to mention all the money stolen that was invested or in banks outside of Libya (which I am sure will not be used in any way to help those affected by the war).

When they speak of "the International Community" in such matters, it usually turns out to be those involved in the conflict and those bought off to support it, as in the coalition of the browbeaten and bribed that went into Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Perhaps a different coalition of nations should gather - self-authorize and then pronounce the 'recognition' as the disingenuous self-serving declaration that it really is.

While the media seems to have forgotten, this started out as a peaceful rebellion, until 'supporters' began to arm them. The fighting really didn't start until the ex-military folks switched sides bringing weapons systems and generally engendering combat.

I'm no fan of Ghadaffi, never was; even when Europe, the UK, the US and many other "industrialized oil consuming states' billed him as the darling of the Arab world.... even cheering his presidential bid for the African Union.

What changed? O-p-p-o-r-t-u-n-i-t-y for leverage.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well i do a bit.....

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
NATO and the other nations can say whatever they like, it is up to the people of Libya to say who their leader is. The way things are going this is going to be a very long and trouble stricken part of the world for a very long time. One big problem these nations have done is neglect the hearts and the minds of the population, without that they will never be recognised as a legitimate authority. With the rebels just a band of paid mercenaries they have not got a chance in hell in keeping the country together.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

These 40 nations already supported the NATO controlled rebels in order to cause a regime change, they failed miserably, now out of desperation they are using these means of propaganda, as if it is going to change the situation on the ground. The rebels have absolutely no support in Libya, in fact they they have relied solely on propaganda and NATO bombings. The rebels have already established propaganda offices in US to lobby for support.

We know this means nothing, it is up to the Libyans to choose, and if NATO and their pawns on the ground think a leader like Qaddafi will run with his tails between his legs when clearly his nation is under attack, they have another thing coming.

The Libyan regime has too much support, even if they manage to kill Qaddafi and his whole family, Libya will turn in to an Afghanistan or Somalia. This I guarantee, and you guys can hold me to my words.

The Libyan regime said let Libyans decide, let's have an election, but we all know why NATO and their pawns on the ground rejected, because they knew they had no support, and they still don't.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Ghaddafi isn't anymore legitimate. When he seized control he declared all other political parties illegal.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. He's probably gonna fall victim to the same methods he's applied for decades.

good riddance

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

The rebels are hired paid western terrorists, and you know what? you seem to becoming a rebels mouthpiece on here.

The rebel terrorists had looted towns,villages after capture burned homes, killed innocent civilians.

You can tell by Hillary Clinton expressions its all about the oil and money.
edit on 15-7-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

And Ghaddafi is a freelance terroritst so what's the difference? It honestly makes no difference who wins that power struggle over there but when I read posts and they are so inaccurate I like to remind people that Ghaddafi is no saint as many make him out to be.

He is not a legitimate leader by any stretch of the term and has held on to power through manipulation and fear. The rebels may not be any better either but they certainly aren't wrong for trying to overthrow him.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Libya has a different political system, political parties are illegal not to stop people from getting involved in the governmental decisions, rather because political parties take the rights of people, hence you choose someone to represent you.

Libya had direct Democracy, something which most can only dream about. While American and Europeans are screaming and shouting for real Democracy, Libyans had that, they participated in governmental decisions, they didn't just vote for representatives then let them have a 4 year dictatorship.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
That's fine but Ghaddafi has held public hangings and televised executions which i'm sure has helped sway voters into voting for him and discouraged any running against him.

To say that he has run legitimate campaigns is just a fallicy.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
That's fine but Ghaddafi has held public hangings and televised executions which i'm sure has helped sway voters into voting for him and discouraged any running against him.

yeah here in 'merica we do our televised executions the civilized way. through night vision on a predator drone with a hellfire missile. its $67,999 more expensive then a rope but it sure looks cool.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

I've never compared Ghaddafi to America and I'm not saying one is legit and the other isn't. My only statement was to those who think Ghaddafi is a good and decent upstanding leader.

He is as evil and vile as any of em and your free to add to that list whoever you want.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I feel bad for anybody who lives in libya now...their country is nothing more than a nato sock puppet now and it's pretty obvious...

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Yes, the Libyan regime was such a savage beast, in all of 2010 only 10 people were executed and they were all convicted murderers.

What a savage regime right? A regime which ordered its security forces not to shoot at armed gangs who which the media portrayed as peaceful protesters. Did you know in the first day of the supposed peaceful protests, police were attacked, buildings were set on fire, and only around 100 thugs were involved? The media called it violent crack down by the Libyan regime, but it was kinda the opposite, the thugs were violently cracking down on security forces, attacking them, and on the first day 10/14 of the injured were security forces.

Yes, very savage, so savage that the Libyan regime released over 700 prisoners, when did that ever happen in US where millions are locked up?

Do you even know why those thugs managed to take over Benghazi so quick? Surely it wasn't because the security forces were ordered to shoot, rather the opposite. If there was a violent crack down, all these hundreds of thugs would have been captured and hanged in public, but instead, the Libyan regime was naive, thinking that they merely wanted reform, so instead of getting rid of the infiltrators, they told the security forces not to shoot. Most would agree, that these thugs had an intention of causing a regime change using any means necessary, because they were hired to do so. They don't represent Libyans, they represent the CIA, as reports suggests these thugs were hired, trained and financed by CIA, and the same thugs tried to implement a regime change previously as well, but failed miserably.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

6 Stars for a disnfo agent eh?

I read posts and they are so inaccurate I like to remind people that Ghaddafi is no saint as many make him out to be. He is not a legitimate leader by any stretch of the term and has held on to power through manipulation and fear. The rebels may not be any better either but they certainly aren't wrong for trying to overthrow him.

The rebels are hired paid, western terrorists,mercenaries there are even french mercenaries in libya

The rebels may not be any better

They kill innocent civilians, burn there homes, loot villages, chase after the, kill innocent dark skinned African labor workers.

has held on to power through manipulation and fear

Thats what the rebels are doing in the towns, cities they captured.

Sounds to me kro32 that your a mouthpiece disnfo agent for the terrorists.

Just look at the time when you joined

So a few months or days before the manufactured revolutions in libya and in other places in the med east and yet you made only 3 threads but you have been responding to libyan threads alot of times, The american and canadian public do not support the rebels, heck i haven't seen one single Canadian libyan protesting agaisnt Gadaffi a 135 people did but thats it. .
edit on 16-7-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

top topics

join