It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something needs to be done about the FDA; now they're trying to ban menthol cigarettes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Yep. There isn't any debate about their intentions. The FDA is definitely trying to completely remove menthol cigarettes from the U.S. market.

Article

How can anyone support this "gateway drug" crap? Seriously... why don't they just reword their "findings" in a way that's closer to the truth: "Kids who try to get a "high" from cigarettes may also try to get high in other ways". I'm not sure if the FDA is using this "gateway" theory as an excuse to push some other agenda or if they are really that stupid. I seriously am confident enough that they are full of # to write them a letter telling them exactly how I feel.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Urgh Menthol fags make me feel sick.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

One of my friends says the same thing but I honestly never felt any ill effects from smoking menthols.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen

One of my friends says the same thing but I honestly never felt any ill effects from smoking menthols.

Don't know why but it gives me the same bilious feeling I get if I drink too much black tea.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

lmao at first I thought you were referring to the people who smoke menthol cigs and were calling them fags, then I noticed your from the UK. I once saw a guy thrown out of a bar for asking some guys if they had any fags he could smoke. Classic.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It is just aggravating that our new government can't stay out of everyone's business. Besides that, how does it benefit the govt to ban tobacco? They need the tax money.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
They already banned "flavored" cigarettes from the market, but decided to leave menthols alone because banning them would be racist.

I'm sure this won't get too far, once the NAACP gets word of this.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Russh50

Somebody in the comments section of that article mentioned that one of the biggest lobbyists of the FDA is Johnson & Johnson- which is a manufacturer of a lot of "quit-smoking" products.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Russh50

Thanks to Obama's lovely PACT act I can no longer purchase Chewing tobacco over the internet. I find it funny because I could buy just about any type of weapon with the click of a button but can't get something I enjoy. Pretty sad that America has become a bunch of pansy's.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
So I guess kools, newports, and salem, should just be put out of business, oh well!

Im so sick of living in the u.s. But where would I go?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I would like to nominate chocolate as a gateway drug.

See, the FDA needs something to use as a scapegoat in their hunt for gateway drugs..... They can't point the finger at alcohol. To them, it apparently isn't a drug at all, and it doesn't kill tons of people every year.

edit on 15-7-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Honestly, I smoke cigarettes, I know menthol is the worst kind health-effect wise, but I'm also aware that they push cigarettes as "legal" while taking away illegal drugs that are less dangerous.

##SNIP##

But if you want to incite a riot, this is certainly the way to do it in America. Take away the addictive substance tobacco companies have been pushing for years.
edit on Sun Jul 17 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: UPDATE: The Discussion Of "Illegal Activity" On The Above Network Sites

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I will preface this by saying that I was once a smoker (though I never really liked Menthol cigs).

I think the real question is, how is it that cigarettes are sold legally at all?

If a kid gags on a toy, 8 million of that toy are recalled. If 1 out of 80 million people die of a heart attack (maybe) because of a medication they were on...all heck breaks loose, and the drug is withdrawn (or at least they must spend 25 seconds of every 30 second commercial talking about the risks...versus the benefits).

But cigarettes....menthol or otherwise...kill hundreds of thousands of people a year, but are allowed to be sold.

How does this make any sense?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Yes I totally agree the FDA is out of control and don`t give a crap on our health. They don`t do what they are supposed to be doing that`s for sure. Yet they fit right in with the rest of our screwed up Government. I say something needs done to them all and then lets start over.

Menthol a Gateway drug?
And beer isn`t?

Might be a good time to stock up on Liquid menthol that is used for making the electronic cigarette e-liquid flavor. A line on a cig with a toothpick just might give you those menthol flavored cigs.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MachiventaMelchizedek

I wouldn't really call it a high. I guess its more like the sense of satisfaction you would get from eating an elaborate piece of dessert, lol.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I more or less quit after a stroke but keep my menthol cigarettes around for when I get really congested. It seems easier to burn one than going around smelling like Vicks VapoRub. I figure one or two once in awhile won't do any more harm than was already done.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

Suspiria is actually using English in its correct sense in that a faggot is a measure of sticks used for ovens/fires and since a cigarette is burned this was/is a common term for these little stick people light on fire and suck on.

It doesn't appear that menthol cigarettes are worse for you than regular cigarettes. If anything the opposite may be true.

People who smoke menthol cigarettes are no more likely -- and may actually be less likely -- to develop lung cancer than people who smoke non-menthol cigarettes, a study suggests.

webmd - Are Menthol Cigarettes Riskier Than Non-Menthol?

If anything this will be seen as a stick in the eye to the black community. They're going to cry "racism" on this restriction. Everyone knows that if you're standing in line behind a black man at a cigarette counter he's going to order the menthol. Don't know why it is this way but truth is truth.

Menthol cigarettes make up approximately one quarter of the U.S. cigarette market and are smoked disproportionately by Black smokers with more than 70 percent of Black smokers using menthol cigarettes primarily.

Harvard School of Public Health - Harvard Researchers Gather More Evidence Implicating Menthol in Health Disparities Between White and Black Smokers

Personally I'm sticking with the cigar and pipe. No menthol for me thank you.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This actually makes me pretty angry...for two reasons...

First and foremost...I am a menthol smoker so this is not good news for me...I think any other cigarette pretty well sucks compared to a menthol.

Secondly, it is my right to smoke and I equate this with stealing more of my rights...today it's menthols...tomorrow my firearms...what's next?

How about alcohol...how long until it's banned...kills equally as well as smoking and the flavor list is ad infinitum...I think things are out of hand and are going to **it faster than we can imagine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join