It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brest Fortress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
A couple of weeks ago, i as a Westerner decided to watch something different, an Eastern front WW2 film, and i'm very glad i did!

The film shows the heroic defense of Brest Fortress, against the German fascist invaders on June 22 1941.

Events of the first days of defense are being described with documental accuracy. The film tells about three main resistance zones, headed by the regiment commander, Pyotr Mikhailovich Gavrilov (Аlexander Korshunov), the commissar Efim Moiseevich Fomin (Pavel Derevyanko) and the head of the 9th frontier outpost, Andrey Mitrofanovich Kizhevatov (Аndrey Merzlikin). All heroes are tied by the story of Sashka Akimov (Аlyosha Kopashov). We see film events by his eyes.

There are messages, written by the defenders, on the inside of the fortress’s walls. “I die, but I don’t surrender. Good-bye, Motherland! 20.07.1941,” says one of them, and the others echo – “We shall die, but shall not leave the fortress” or “Here were three of us, we did not lose courage and we die like heroes.”

Unfortunately i couldn't find a trailer with English subs, So the Belorussian one will have to do.

An English subbed version of the film can be found in full below.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Wow op nice find it does look like a pretty good war movie from the trailor. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

It is a must watch!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Interesting and thanks for posting!
Always fascinated by WW2 history.
The initial resistance to the German invasion of Russia is usually glossed over in history books and supplanted with the horrific figures of casualties and surrenders in the millions, just during the first 3 months of Barbarossa.
It's often written that the Russians were caught completely off guard, something I no longer believe.
I think the Russian plan was to sacrifice territory for time and draw the Germans in deeper and wait for winter, much like they treated Napoleon.
On the other hand there does seem to be a recent Hollywood trend to show the Nazi bad guys ad nauseum. You never see the Japanese treated the same anymore so my suspicion is that there is somewhat of an agenda behind what movies are and are not made.
Why don't they make movies about Stalin's purges or the Chinese great leap forward?
There is a great deal of evil that needs addressing by history and cinema. I just wish they would expand their subject matter somewhat.

I'll be watching this movie all the same.

edit on 15-7-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I too am fascinated by WW2 history along with any other military history too, i don't know why though.

Indeed the Russian hierarchy knew the war was coming, hence why the Nazi-Soviet pact was signed, too give the Russians time to prepare. If they didn't waste their time in Finland and lose 250,000 men and many tanks, things would have undoubtedly been different.

I agree the Germans always seem to be portrayed as the bad ones. Although atrocities where committed, Stalin killed many more of his own people than Hitler did and yet this is never mentioned.

Anyway great film this, i would recommend to anyone who likes this type of film.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Shame this didn't get more attention, it's a good film, it's probably the title, not the most appealing.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Somehow, I was picturing something completely different from the title of this thread...

Like a castle filled with Hooters girls or something...but nope, not a typo...

new topics

top topics

join