It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima a future silent killer - expert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I am posting this so that it will be noticed more widely than just in the Australian Press.

We all know the Nuclear Industry is trying their best to keep anything bad out of the MSM where they can.
Obviously their motto is "Profit over People"

This guy is here in Australia, and I doubt he will get much air time back in Japan - but ATS spans the globe.

Source

He said it was disturbing to see many people still living close to the exclusion zone despite the serious risk to their health after the nuclear meltdown sparked by an earthquake and tsunami on March 11.

The death toll from the quake - Japan's biggest on record and the world's fourth largest tectonic event since 1900 - has topped 23,000 including the missing.

"Many people really don't care because they cannot see the radiation, they cannot smell the radiation," Mr Adachi told reporters in Adelaide today.

"But the impact of the radiation will come maybe 10 years later.
"It will be a silent killer into the future."
Mr Adachi said he had come to Australia to urge the country to withdraw itself from the nuclear cycle.

"The Tokyo Electric Power Company, which operates the Fukushima nuclear power plant, gets much of its uranium from Australia, including the Olympic Dam mine in South Australia," he said.

"I think it is important for people in South Australia to realise that the nuclear problem is a global problem and that the most responsible thing for South Australians to do is to leave the uranium in the ground."

South Australian Greens MP Mark Parnell said his party backed Mr Adachi's call.

edit on 15-7-2011 by CitizenNum287119327 because: spells

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Of course it's a silent killer, but I'm not sure he's going about this the right way.

If Australia doesn't sell Japan the radioactive material, someone else will. So not mining it won't help anything.

If Australia gave Japan a list of things they expected to see done, and threatened sanctions like tarriffs on imports like Japanese cars, if they didn't comply, that would be more likely to have an effect.

And regarding impacts 10 years in the future, I think that's an understatement. The people who are exposed face a higher risk as long as they live, even if they move out of the contaminated zone. If they stay in the contaminated zone, the risk continues to go up more as long as they live there.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
yeah, 10 years is an understatement.
I am picking they will see birth defects within 2 years.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It's not a bad Idea, they don't dig it up, they won't screw up their countryside or pollute it.

The down side is of course is the price of it will go up and other countries will get greedy and mine it for profit.

Or they decide to invade Australia to steal it... or they may make the Austrian government an offer they can't refuse. (or greedy politicians...)

M.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
yeah, 10 years is an understatement.
I am picking they will see birth defects within 2 years.

I think the entire Earth will start seeing the TRUE effects soon of it since the poison is being breathed in by above grounders globally.. SAD that those poor people are still stuck there.
edit on 7/15/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Here are the latest cancer forecasts for Japan by Chris Busby, Scientific Secretary for the European Committee on Radiation Risk (ECRR). He expects to see 200,000 new cancer cases around Fukushima Daiichi, both within 100 kilometers, and even more (220,000) in the 100-200 kilometer distance:

www.japanfocus.org...

As Busby says, he is assuming that none of these people move (or are moved) out of the areas in which they are living.

top topics

join