It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple pays South Korean over tracking location of users

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Source< br />

US technology giant Apple said it had made its first compensation payment in South Korea over a feature on its iPhone that can track the location of users.

Apple Korea confirmed overnight it had paid one million won ($A888.85) to Kim Hyung-suk, complying with a compensation order from a court in the southern city of Changwon.

Kim, a 36-year-old lawyer, filed the suit on April 26. He said the smartphone's location recording infringed on his constitutional rights to privacy and freedom and caused psychological stress.

He demanded one million won, and the court ordered Apple to pay the sum for violating his privacy.
The settlement was expected to trigger an array of similar lawsuits since South Korea has about three million iPhone users.

Kim vowed to invite other iPhone users to lodge a joint suit against Apple.

"Amassing location data without iPhone users' consent constitutes an apparent legal violation," Kim told Yonhap news agency.

About 300 people have signed up to join Kim's campaign so far through a website that he opened overnight, Yonhap said.

The article says it all.

A class action upcoming for South Koreans!

This guy got his money,
So come on Americans!
The US is the land of constitutional rights and suing the pants off the violators
I'm sure you can all get more the $800 bucks each iphone user???
edit on 15-7-2011 by CitizenNum287119327 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I never thought I'd say this but, the U.S really needs to learn from Korea's example.

Freedom wins again!

S+F

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

I agree. There were a lot of people complaining about having their locations recorded

new topics

join