It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EcoAlert: A dozen massive volcanoes reaching nearly 10,000 feet above the ocean found in Antarctica!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
A Monster, a Leviathan lie beneath the Antarctic Ocean. A latest frightening discovery brings havoc into the scientific community. www.dailygalaxy.com...

A chain of a dozen undersea volcanoes some reaching nearly 10,000 feet above the ocean floor , and several of them active, have been near Antarctica, south of the South Sandwich Islands — desolate, ice-covered volcanoes that rise above the southern Atlantic Ocean about halfway between South America and South Africa which erupted as recently as 2008. It was the first such discovery in that region.

"That's a big volcano. That's a very big volcano. If that was on land it would be quite remarkable," said Philip Leat, a volcanologist with the British Antarctic Survey who led a seafloor mapping expedition to the region in 2007 and 2010. "We knew there were other volcanoes in the area, but we didn't go trying to find volcanoes,"

"It was quite frightening, actually," Leat said. The onboard instruments revealed that some of the peaks rise within 160 feet of the ocean's surface.

What if this huge "caldera" explode?

edit on 15-7-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
10,000 feet above the ocean floor , and several of them active, have been near Antarctica.

Oh, I see now.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Now we know what is melting our ice caps, warming our oceans and killing our fish.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I'm guessing that quake they had March 06 is related to does vulcano's.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OnlyLove
I'm guessing that quake they had March 06 is related to does vulcano's.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Right the same "hot spot"!

Stars

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I have a gut feeling there is going to be a massive EQK in the Antartica between 2011-2014.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

It must have been the oil spill... or pollution... isnt there some man made reason for this!?!?!?!

All those plastic bags we recycle, and then volcanoes make it look as if we should just be pumping our sewage into the oceans.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Wait, wait... help me out here. The article says:

The team mapped an area about 100 miles wide and nearly the length of Britain. The missing parts of the image are where islands blocked the mapping sonar.

And as you also noted, the article says:

A chain of a dozen undersea volcanoes some reaching nearly 10,000 feet above the ocean floor...

According to those numbers, should I see some volcano peaks 100 times taller than the smallest width of the image?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
What if this huge "caldera" explode?

Huge volcano does not mean massive, explosive super volcano. These are pretty "safe" volcanoes in the world turn. Seem to be on term with Mt St Helens in shape/size. I note a few flank collapses. So they may or may not be explosive... but just at first glance, they don't look the type to be super volcano explosion type.

reply to post by new_here

1 mile = 5280 feet, 10,000 feet mountain = 2 mile high volcanoes. Also the view we see is not the entire scan area.
edit on 15-7-2011 by Foxe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Foxe

I note a few flank collapses

I noticed them too.

What if their flank collapse? A Tsunami?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foxe
1 mile = 5280 feet, 10,000 feet mountain = 2 mile high volcanoes.

Oh my gawd... I don't know my feet from my miles.

Thanks for clearing that up, dude.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
so now it kills fish thousands of miles away?? -_-

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Yes, though where it is and surrounding regions, the resulting tsunamis would not impact to many...I mean I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it would be small tsunamis by the time the resulting waves worked their way to a noteable place.

reply to post by new_here

No problem
Was confident it was a miss-read lol... technically, mountains can't get "too" big or they sink into the planet until they are not "to big" lol.
edit on 15-7-2011 by Foxe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterAndrew

Not ours dude. Hers. We are all owned by Shan.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
I have a gut feeling there is going to be a massive EQK in the Antartica between 2011-2014.

Did you think that before or after reading the article?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Maybe this could be a good reason why water samples are coming back with high amounts of CO2?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
They have been there millions/billions of years, yet with ATS fear-monger mode turned to 'on', made to be on the verge of a global cataclysm. And now instead of people commenting on how natural object so massive are only now being detected, this thread will turn into what if cornucopia of doom and mostly gloom. All the op had to do was to leave this line out, "What if this huge "caldera" explode?", and it might have been an interesting thread. Next.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

If it hasn't yet, it won't likely soon. And if it did, there's no guarantee it would affect the Earth from such a cut off location.

Bare in mind the sheer volume of water pushing down on those volcanoes.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
edit on 15-7-2011 by RedBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Antarctica volcanoes for president 2012

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join