It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Playing The Race Card"?? Yeah Right!!! You Don't Know The Half!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

WHITE PEOPLE WOULD NOT LET BLACK PEOPLE READ, WRITE OR SUPPORT THEIR FAMILIES FOR 400 YEARS.

I didn't have anything to do with what happened in the past to black people...so why am I excluded from loans and scholarships that only apply to minorities?

How long should I be oppressed from higher learning based on my skin color before it changes up again?

How are you being oppressed? Are you saying that there are only loans and scholarships for black people? Maybe you should log off ATS and go study, with a high GPA you won't need a loan or a scholarship.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonibelle

I'm going to go ahead and say what has already been said on the first page:
It's not because you're black, it's because of what you're wearing, you can tell in the video.
Two young kids dressed in "street" clothing. I'm sure being black helped the manager's reasoning a little, but your friend in the tuque wasn't helping at all.
Stereotypes are there for a reason. I don't like most of them, but they're there for a reason.

edit on 15-7-2011 by jonibelle because: (no reason given)

Stereotyping is a form of racism. #FACT. One boy had on a hooded sweatshirt and that justified they way the PAYING CUSTOMERS were treated? If you really read this and say "Yes" then you are a very bad person, even dangerous imho. It's these simple freedoms that YOU help to strip away and then get mad at the TSA or get mad when you get arrested for speaking lawfully at a town hall meeting.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45

Sir,I speak for myself only here. I would never do anything for you because of your race,nor would I do anything to you because of your race. Racism is a two way street,if you expect that things should be done for you because of your race.You should also expect that things will be done to you because of your race.
Being of mixed lineage myself I found that carrying a chip on my shoulder was far heavier than the burden of just being a man. When my self imposed racism died,the racism around me died also.

What does any of that have to do with the video in the original post? Did the two youths do anything wrong? Were they followed incessantly? Do you feel they were treated like that because of a stereotype? All i am doing in this thread is pointing out something that occurs daily that you might not be aware of. IMO this was lightweight compared to other things (lightweight but still disgusting). Even the boys had a laugh at it, paid and left.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

How is stereotyping wrong??? I think is a useful tool which helps a human process millions of interactions daily.

If you don't like it, tell your bros to shape up, got it???

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
And for everyone commenting that filming was "suspicious" he did not start filming until he noticed the manager and the phone was an iPhone 4 with the front facing camera. Shopping in a supermarket while using an iPhone is not suspicious. On a side note, the iPhone 4 cost more than $600 (U.S.). A teenager shopping in a supermarket (probably for his mother) with a $600 phone gets followed like that, laughs at it, pays then leaves.

What did they do wrong again? Wore a hat? Wore a hooded sweatshirt?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
You asked a question

How is stereotyping wrong???

and then answered it yourself

If you don't like it, tell your bros to shape up, got it???

Must have been rhetorical

There are MANY black Managers, Business Owners, Lawyers, Surgeons, Scientist, Mathematicians, Millionaires, Judges, Mayors, Governors....... We (meaning you and i) even have a black President of The United States right now.

You see how stereotyping can be wrong? I think my "bros" are doing alright.

edit on 7/15/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Let's talk about people who drive hot cars.

They're targeted. You don't see them snivelling.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD
And for everyone commenting that filming was "suspicious" he did not start filming until he noticed the manager and the phone was an iPhone 4 with the front facing camera. Shopping in a supermarket while using an iPhone is not suspicious. On a side note, the iPhone 4 cost more than $600 (U.S.). A teenager shopping in a supermarket (probably for his mother) with a $600 phone gets followed like that, laughs at it, pays then leaves.

What did they do wrong again? Wore a hat? Wore a hooded sweatshirt?

You haven't mentioned that there's a bit in the video where the lad says ''I've asked him three times why he's following me'', so there was apparently some verbal interaction between the teenagers and the manager prior to the camera footage.

As with many of these eye-witness camera-phone ''incidents'' which are uploaded to YouTube, you have to be wary of the fact that the person who uploads the video is not going to reveal anything which may portray themselves in a negative light.

Having an expensive iPhone 4 is not really an indicator that someone isn't going to be a shoplifter. Who's to say that, hypothetically, a shoplifter didn't also TWOC the phone on a previous occasion ?

Also, that white guy looked like he was over 50, so he might be a bit of a technophobe and not realise the significance of that phone. Uh-oh. There I go stereotyping over-50s.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I think it is you playing the race card here even mentioning racism with this video. First off, you are videotaping and it doesn't look like you're doing much shopping. Second, I live in Hamilton Ontario, and when I was ages 15-20 I got followed and looked at all the time. There is a certain age group that is portrayed by alot of older generations as "punk kids up to no good". It most likely has absolutely nothing to do with race, but rather your age.

Is there a word for that? Ageist? Why don't we call it that and create another seperation between us all.

edit on 15-7-2011 by godfather420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Prophecy, I gotta say man..you are not living up to your "PhD." I am hearing the same babble that I have heard for years, upon years. There is absolutely no new information here, there is absolutely no "prophetic" quote to be read. Except from this members response,

Originally posted by daddyroo45
Being of mixed lineage myself I found that carrying a chip on my shoulder was far heavier than the burden of just being a man. When my self imposed racism died,the racism around me died also.

I am one to support anti-racial sentiment, but when I realize the person I have considered supporting is completely close minded to any outside interpretation, I tend to change my stance. Not that of support for the cause, but rather support for you.
You are of an age where you are striving for answers to the wrongs you see in the world, that's great, you are amongst like minded individuals. But you are generalizing far to much, nobody here wants to argue with you about the existence of racism, as you will see from the responses to your thread most people agree that it is obvious within our communities. With that said, and I will reiterate, racism exist on both sides of the coin. It is how you learn to manage it, and work with it, that will define you as a man. Fighting it is a losing race, you can never control how people think no matter how hard you try, you can only learn how to manipulate them to your liking.
If you want some direction, here it is....Pursue that "PhD," and pursue an avenue which has not yet been tackled, better yet make that pursuit about racism in America, or the world. But use you brain for more than the everyday BS we have all heard and seen, use it to open our eyes to something new, or use it to help your own friends and family learn to deal with the inevitable....Racism exist! Sorry, but that's the truth and that's how I roll....

edit on 7/15/2011 by TheRealTruth84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I'm white and i'm followed all the time in stores and by police too, but its because the way i look. I have tattoos all over and i look young. I'm sure they think i'm stealing or have drugs (which i do not) Let them waste there time though, i think its funny to make them look dumb when they stop me and i have nothing and have done nothing wrong. It entertains me.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

I will reiterate, racism exist on both sides of the coin. It is how you learn to manage it, and work with it, that will define you as a man. Fighting it is a losing race, you can never control how people think no matter how hard you try, you can only learn how to manipulate them to your liking.

I do not believe fighting racism is a losing "race" (weird word to use,
i would have said battle). How i choose to "manage" it is by being vocal and educating people. Did you read my posts on this thread? The replies i got from some make me feel as if i went off on a rant or somehow offended some members by posting a video of some young black males getting profiled.

What happened happened, we can all see the video. The young boys (neither are me) were PROFILED (i believe racially) while SHOPPING at a supermarket. Why so many ruffled feathers? Everyone seems to agree that the young boys were being profiled/stereotyped. We can all clearly see them purchase something and in no way shape or form were they threatening or even mischievous.

I'm just pointing out a very small portion of something that happens every single day to people who might not even be aware of these types of activities. I am a black male and this is something i can relate to (and a lot worse) so i wanted to share it with you guys. Why all the anger? I even have someone talking about college loans
What does any of that have to do with the OP

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012srb
Let's talk about people who drive hot cars.

They're targeted. You don't see them snivelling.

Being born black isn't a choice and you can't "buy" being white. I can't believe a moron actually starred your post!!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
As has been said many times in this thread. If you do not want to be followed do not act like you are up to something (in this case you were but not what the manager thought).

If I were manager and saw any customer doing what took place in this video I would follow them as they are up to something, it might be harmless or it might not be. In your case it was harmless, but I believe you are mistaken about the events.

Next time why not just confront the guy and ask him why. If I were him I would have said you were acting suspicious and leave it at that. He might be racist but it is most likely your actions that brought that on.

Lesson learned stop doing strange things in Publix and get on with you business.

Raist

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

It is fine that your are looking to bring it to light. I think there are alternative methods you could have used that would be better received here. Like I said, you are amongst peers here, but ones that tend to look well past generalizations. You would not have used this video if it were a couple white kids being followed around by security, funny thing is, it happens everyday.
Have you read up on the flash mobs that are happening around the country? Store owners and workers have allot to fear these days. Race is an issue, but as a corporation or business, you are just looking to prevent loss and turn a profit. If someone looks suspicious, racism aside, you need to keep a watchful eye.
The security guard at this Publix market may have been a little over the top, and trust me I have been followed around plenty at a younger age. The difference is, I would leave laughing about the ridiculousness of the mall cop ego vs. leaving and calling him a racist.
Keep on fighting the good fight, just remember not everyone is out to get ya, sometimes they are just doing their job....

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

You're just pissed off because the analogy is an apt one.

ALL of us can't help being what we are.

Get over yourself.

The more minorities snivel, the dumber they look.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
As has been said many times in this thread. If you do not want to be followed do not act like you are up to something (in this case you were but not what the manager thought).

If I were manager and saw any customer doing what took place in this video I would follow them as they are up to something, it might be harmless or it might not be. In your case it was harmless, but I believe you are mistaken about the events.

Next time why not just confront the guy and ask him why. If I were him I would have said you were acting suspicious and leave it at that. He might be racist but it is most likely your actions that brought that on.

Lesson learned stop doing strange things in Publix and get on with you business.

Raist

It is not me in the video. The young boys stated that they asked 3 times why they were being followed. They recorded it and gave a fake "chase" because it was funny to them and they made light of an otherwise "dark" situation. Why must people place blame on the young boys? Why can't they just accept it for what it is? The youngsters were PROFILED and half of you are tripping over your selves to blame something on them.

The facts stand. Theses were paying customers in a supermarket being followed around like criminals by a fake detective. The manager could have alerted security to keep an eye on them through the cameras and loss prevention (which are usually in plain clothes). What he did was unnecessary and appalling.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
What they need is a boot in the *** for playing games with the staff.

I blame the parents.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

The security guard at this Publix market may have been a little over the top, and trust me I have been followed around plenty at a younger age. The difference is, I would leave laughing about the ridiculousness of the mall cop ego

That was the MANAGER not security and they did laugh, pay for their items and leave. Did you watch the whole video? Maybe you should read the whole thread as well to gain a better perspective on the discussion going on. Did you read some of these replies? Did you read the one directly under your last post?

The fact is these paying customers were profiled for apparently no reason. The people defending such actions are the point of the thread.

You would not have used this video if it were a couple white kids being followed around by security

If these young kids were white i'm sure the thread would be filled with criticism for the manager vs. criticism for wearing a hooded sweatshirt to a supermarket. Did you actually read the responses i got

edit on 7/15/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: added 2nd quote

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Strap on a set of boobs, then you'll really have something to whine about.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join