It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey time on ATS, what is more imporant to you? Tax Breaks for the rich or Social Service Programs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Well seeing as the last financial crisis saw the biggest transfer of wealth from public to private in the history of mankind, I think it's about time the private started to help out the public for a change. So tax the rich or eat them.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I was never given employment from a poor person

A.

Imo, individuals and some cooperation's are more charitable than government. I don't think S.S. is a charity btw.

Thanks
edit on 15-7-2011 by sweetliberty because: for clarity

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Perhaps before answering ATSers may want to read this study:

Disparity of Wealth

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

What is more imporant to everyone here, tax breaks for the rich or maintaining social services which has served as our nation's backbone for nearly 80 years now?

Bolding mine.

Hello, I wanted to address the part in bold in the above quote.

I have to wonder if the talking heads are trying to keep us focused on some of the most needed social services and using it as a scare tactic.

With so many other "social services" that are no where as life changing if cut or all together eliminated, I feel Obama is using fear tactics to get his way. I say we drastically cut or eliminate something like The Cowboys Poet Society and the useless testings like counting the calories elementary school children eat during lunchtime and stop treading on SS or Medicaid.

The cooperation's do need regulated but at this time in life, these particular issues we are faced with due to the over spending crisis, we have to tackle one thing at a time. First things first.

Shame on anyone who threatens to halt Social Security as a tool to get their way.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

The GOP and the rich want at it because that is about $4 Trillion in the SS surplus fund that they cannot get their greedy hands on and will stop at nothing to gut that.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I can tell you, most people are not rich, so will want benefits.

If tax was fair and the rich actually paid the same percentage of their income as the poor this wouldn't even be an issue.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
A) Tax Breaks
A) Tax Breaks
A) Tax Breaks

And cut the free money the govt keeps handing out. It's not sustainable. I work hard for my dough I want to be able to pay for my kids college and buy them a car not give 50% back to the govt to handout as free rent and food stamps to people who won't work.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Rather than speculate I strongly urge people to read the fact-based article I posted above. It lays the whole things out. You notice in the middle of this whole thing no one is suggesting we end the military adventurism that essentially got us where we are. Trillions spent on useless wars that accomplish nothing --- except making a handful of people richer. The 'enemies' are still there in force, the drugs keep flowing and it's been how long? How much longer?

Imagine there is a huge sailing ship far out at sea. The senior oifficers come to realize that the ship is doomed. Would they have a big group meeting and tell that to the crew --- likely risking a bloody mutiny --- or would they strip the ship of everything of value and attempt to slip away in a lifeboat in the middle of the night? What we're seeing is the elite manning the lifeboats.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

b

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Nice unbiased slant to your questions....IT is not what you ask it is how you ask it !!
Here is a couple of questions.
A Do you support tax cuts for small business to create jobs?
B Do you support social programs wrought with fraud and abuse?

See it is all in the way you word it !!!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Well seeing as the last financial crisis saw the biggest transfer of wealth from public to private in the history of mankind, I think it's about time the private started to help out the public for a change. So tax the rich or eat them.

First off,what is public wealth ? Are you speaking of government confiscated tax dollars,that truly belong to private citizens ? Where do you think all that public money comes from,the tooth fairy ?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
A) Tax Breaks
A) Tax Breaks
A) Tax Breaks

And cut the free money the govt keeps handing out. It's not sustainable. I work hard for my dough I want to be able to pay for my kids college and buy them a car not give 50% back to the govt to handout as free rent and food stamps to people who won't work.

Social Security is paid by the worker each and every week and does not add to the debt as that is the way it was originally setup to do.

The money you pay in social security and state withholding pays for your social security and finances your unemployment in the event you were to lose your job.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45

Nice unbiased slant to your questions....IT is not what you ask it is how you ask it !!
Here is a couple of questions.
A Do you support tax cuts for small business to create jobs?
B Do you support social programs wrought with fraud and abuse?

See it is all in the way you word it !!!

Delete tax breaks for the rich, every company who hires a foreign worker, every company who hides money offshore and hides behind charities. Tax breaks for small business has created more jobs then giving some conglamurate a tax break.

There are bad apples in any program (Govt or private) and yes it must be dealt with but a clearcut majority of people currently on it truly need it.

Stop posting to this thread if all you are going to do is attack and bring hostilities to an otherwise peaceful thread, Or is this really your agenda? To derail it because someone's got your boys in a vicegrip demanding that you do?
edit on 15-7-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Nothing hostile in my post! I just pointed out that wording can be slanted to achieve certain goals . Sorry you got your boys in distress.....

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
do away with the tax loopholes
do away with corporations stashing money offshore thus evading taxes
do away with deductions/exemptions/loopholes for the Lobbysts, tax them at 75% (treat them like the gougers after a hurricane devestated area.)

the corporate tax rate is the highest in the western world, it just that corporations are allowed special treatment of their operating expenses & profits that hides the money from being taxed

the 'rich' are those paid & perked Senators & Congress-persons...don't let them bamboozle you with deflecting just 'whom' are the rich...pointing to Google & Facebook & Apple creators/CEOs or the other mega-rich in the moneysphere

the social programs are not 'entitlements' they are just compensation for the masses being exploited by the mega-corporations and predators in the bank & finance industries which have exacted a quart of blood & a pound of flesh of everyone in the poor-to-middle class

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Considering that the poor and many in the hard working middle class have zero or minimal Federal Tax liability, someone is already picking up the slack. Is ok to place even more of the burden on a particular income bracket just because people think the SHOULD be able to spare a little extra? Many of those in the upper brackets are themselves stretched to their limits financially. Sure its self imposed but still stretched. They overextended themselves as well in the mortgage boom era. They just did it on a larger scale with bigger and more expensive houses. They also invested in second homes etc. It's all about proportions. I have a couple of friends living paycheck to paycheck in $500k homes that are practically unfurnished. What happens to them when the primary bread winner gets laid off?

Our nation desperately needs sweeping tax reform. Trash it all and start from scratch. The FAIR tax would be a great place to start. Taxes based on your purchasing and consumption habits not your income. Best of all, it eliminates the IRS. How is that for a big budget winfall!!

The FairTax taxes us only on what we choose to spend on new goods or services, not on what we earn. The FairTax is a fair, efficient, transparent, and intelligent solution to the frustration and inequity of our current tax system.

The FairTax:

Enables workers to keep their entire paychecks
Enables retirees to keep their entire pensions
Refunds in advance the tax on purchases of basic necessities
Allows American products to compete fairly
Brings transparency and accountability to tax policy
Ensures Social Security and Medicare funding
Closes all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation
Abolishes the IRS

www.fairtax.org...

Until then, we need to see some serious spending restraints placed on those in D.C. and yes that may mean some cuts to our nation's fraud ridden entitlement and social welfare programs. Most of which are nothing more than a rubber crutch for those who make a living off of them.

edit on 15-7-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The question is framed in the way the its currently framed in the press. The whole premise is false because the notion of one section of society paying (or not) tax differently from another is one of the problems. If you allow a tax system to grow so complicated and manipulated it can never be fair.

The solution is to

a) At the personal level have a simple flat tax system based on income.
b) Change the governmental framework to prevent the government from running a deficit (unless the nation is fighting a war of national survival).
c) Global harmonised corporation tax (prevents Multinationals moving their base from one country to the next in search of a tax dodge and using employment as a way of extracting tax concessions). If we can have international treaties on WMD why not corporation tax.

The rich should not pay tax at a greater % than anybody else but neither should they be allowed to pay less. Social welfare should be in place as one of the nations priorities but only within the constraints of what the nation can afford. The hard truth of what the nation can and cannot afford should be dealt with by every sitting government every year. Not one US government has dealt with it for decades.

Maybe after the current system has imploded some sanity will return from the ashes.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Stay on topic please and any post that tries to continue the "Left-v-Right" paradigm going will be ignored.

You say that this is not a left vs right thing but there is a obvious liberal bias to your survey.

Cut unecessary spending on wars AND entitlement programs while creating an environment where small businesses can thrive in.

edit on 15-7-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
Time to decide what is more imporant for everyone right here right now.

This is a continuation on the debt ceeling talks currently being conducted stateside whereas the GOP wants to keep tax breaks, cuts and corporate welfare for the rich going while the Dems want to keep Social Service programs going like Social Secuirty, Medicaid/Medicare, keeping civil service workers employed.

What is more imporant to everyone here, tax breaks for the rich or maintaining social services which has served as our nation's backbone for nearly 80 years now?

A - Continued tax breaks, cuts and corporate welfare for the rich?
B- Financing social service programs by eliminating tax breaks and corporate welfare?

Stay on topic please and any post that tries to continue the "Left-v-Right" paradigm going will be ignored.

edit on 15-7-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

You dont think you are continuing the LvR thingy here? You are using all the language.

ANyway hay if we have welfare of any sort might as well give it to people that know how to use the money rather than prepetuate the eating, breeding, craping cycle of the other sort.

Our nations backbone? Welfare? Working people are the backbone here and the load is getting heavy!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I would say B, but some social programs are being abused and congress should be addressing that. They need to evaluate each program and set stricter guidelines so people can't take advantage of the system.

The 2 options you gave is just too simple and it doesn't address other areas that need to be cut like military spending, foreign aid, and calling back troops we have stationed across the globe. Trillions could be saved in military spending alone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join