It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My own bizarre experience with TSA (as a muslim)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Peace everyone.

I meant to share this with you guys almost 2 weeks ago which is when it happened, but never took the time out to start a thread. Anyway here it goes…

If you know me from other discussions, then you know it's no secret that I'm a muslim. I don't fly as often as I used to, and the last time I flew, it was just me and I wasn't pulled for the scanner or the pat down.

Preface: Me, my wife, and my 2 children were getting ready to fly from Atlanta to Philly to visit my in-laws. My wife wears the hijab (just the head covering, not the face covering) and we both have arabic names as at our first or middle name. So basically, to TSA, we were obviously a muslim family.

We were in that looooong security line for about 25 minutes and had actually made friends with a white couple with a 3 year old daughter. We got to the front of the line, and through the boarding pass check as normal, and we got to the long process of taking off belts, and shoes, and emptying pockets and taking laptops out, bla bla bla. We ended up being in the same line as the white couple again too. As is almost routine, my wife was prepared to be "randomly selected" and knew to "opt out" of the cancer machine because of her head covering and the fact that there is always a huge bulge underneath because of her hair. (lol) Now, as we passed through the metal detector, I cleared, my kids cleared, but my wife didn't, because she had left her pin in her scarf. She was asked quite kindly by a white male TSA agent to check again, and she did, removing the pin and passing through the detector once more. She cleared and we started getting our stuff back together. As this happened, the white family went through, both set off the detector (he forgot to take off his belt and she said she had a surgical implant). However, I was quite amazed when BOTH of them were asked to go through the scanner by the same agent who then signaled for what seemed to be back up. (I say "seemed" because it was like 2 lazy looking agents, one male, one female, both black) They both looked just as shocked as I was as they opted out and were subjected to a very saddening fondling session as their daughter watched. When they got finished with their pat down, and came to retrieve their things "I had stood by to watch their belongings" there was no thank you, there was no more of that friendliness as though it was our fault they were put through that.

My point in telling this story was because that whole experience planted a seed in my mind. Just as though that couple turned sour to me and my wife after they were selected and we weren't many other people who are put through this "blame" muslims for what they go through, and we've all read threads and news stories about how it's the least likely suspect who gets selected (eg: 95 year old lady, 6 year old little girl, 67 year old cancer patient, etc.)

Could this be the whole point? 2-3 million people fly daily, it's almost easier to plant an idea in someones mind in an airport than it is using TV. In my situation, I know a lot of people saw what happened and all they saw was a family of “potential terrorists” gets cleared, and an "innocent" family get patted down. I'm sure that couple wasn’t the only ones with ill feelings. Could it be that Americans are gonna be subject to abuse by TSA until America completely turns against muslims, and middle easterners, and south asians, and such?

This is all just my take on it, and I posted this simply so I could hear others opinions.
Thanks in advance

Peace

edit on 14-7-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well what do you expect during times of war
Dont take this the wrong way ,its just that I am sure If Fritz was in London during the war ,he wouldnt be getting tea and scones
edit on 14-7-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Well what do you expect during war time,

Which war?

(choose one of the following)

•Libya
•Iraq
•Afghanistan
•Yemen
•Pakistan
•Somalia
•Terrorism
•Freedom
•Constitution

And my point wasn't so much THAT they got upset at us. It's WHY. Hell I expected to be chosen for the pat down. But why wasn't I? Same with my wife, why not her??

I'm alluding to a psy op.
edit on 14-7-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

The War on terror of course,It's everywhere man ,cant you see it?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Although, I don't discount the chill you recieved from the couple who had go through that awful ordeal, since they were so nice you might be able to give them the benifet of the doubt.

After I have been degraded, assaulted and humiliated, I don't feel very freindly either. I wouldn't want to look people, who watched my ordea,l in the eye. I would be shaken and shocked and would put my head down until I got a drink in my hand.

I do know of the ignorant fear that you refer to.

Thank you to you for being a sane and reasonable voice from the Muslum community for us here on ATS.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
Although, I don't discount the chill you recieved from the couple who had go through that awful ordeal, since they were so nice you might be able to give them the benifet of the doubt.

After I have been degraded, assaulted and humiliated, I don't feel very freindly either. I wouldn't want to look people, who watched my ordea,l in the eye. I would be shaken and shocked and would put my head down until I got a drink in my hand.

I do know of the ignorant fear that you refer to.

Thank you to you for being a sane and reasonable voice from the Muslum community for us here on ATS.

You're right, it could have just been that, however it just seemed as though they wanted to get as far away from us as possible. Also, you know the look people give you when they feel you "effed something up for them," we got that look. All while making sure nobody stole their macbook. lol

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

Could this be the whole point? 2-3 million people fly daily, it's almost easier to plant an idea in someones mind in an airport than it is using TV. In my situation, I know a lot of people saw what happened and all they saw was a family of “potential terrorists” gets cleared, and an "innocent" family get patted down. I'm sure that couple wasn’t the only ones with ill feelings. Could it be that Americans are gonna be subject to abuse by TSA until America completely turns against muslims, and middle easterners, and south asians, and such?

A reasonable interpretation, Leaving from Philly to LA recently I was subjected to a quick pat-down of my legs I still wear much looser fitting, baggy pants, so I've always gotten simple pat downs and though I was expecting a proper fondling I did not receive such.

Just a quick mid thigh to ankle sweep of both legs. I did not have to go through the new scanners, others in the group did however, 4 in total of 10, all of them larger men, 275lbs or more.

While I concede your reasoning in your interpretation of what happened I hope more people are smart enough to realize that it's not muslims who are installing the scanners and changing the rules. Even if we were attacked by muslims and were still constantly being attacked by muslims, the government is what's reacting in such a draconian fashion. I for one have not been afraid to fly since 9/11 nor should anyone else be.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Only a matter of time before the blame game gets more intense. We're only experiencing the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

A reasonable interpretation, Leaving from Philly to LA recently I was subjected to a quick pat-down of my legs I still wear much looser fitting, baggy pants, so I've always gotten simple pat downs and though I was expecting a proper fondling I did not receive such.

Just a quick mid thigh to ankle sweep of both legs. I did not have to go through the new scanners, others in the group did however, 4 in total of 10, all of them larger men, 275lbs or more.

While I concede your reasoning in your interpretation of what happened I hope more people are smart enough to realize that it's not muslims who are installing the scanners and changing the rules. Even if we were attacked by muslims and were still constantly being attacked by muslims, the government is what's reacting in such a draconian fashion. I for one have not been afraid to fly since 9/11 nor should anyone else be.

Well, a mixture of CNN, tap water, and pat downs can make you hate/fear anyone.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostmymarbles

Only a matter of time before the blame game gets more intense. We're only experiencing the tip of the iceberg.

That's what truly worries me. I mean I'm just one person and it's hard enough tryna convince some people on ATS that I don't want them dead just because they aren't muslim. It's saddening simply because I have children who will have to grow up in this type situation...

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Maybe your family wasn't attractive enough for a patdown??? Ok jokes aside though, don't read too much into the situation I'm sure it wasn't your family they were mad at..... How we you feel if you got man handled from people who get their kicks from feeling up old people and children? What kind of person applies for a job that asks on the application if you feel comfortable touching kids seriously????
edit on 14-7-2011 by jheated5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
To be honest, I've read many times, in many places an idle comment that Muslims are allowed to sail through security while presumably "upstanding" Americans are singled out for the patdown-feelup. It's a belief that many people have, and I'm sure it springs from a very deep, unexamined subconscious place. It represents resentment, a feeling of the unfairness of it all, the weariness of the constant traveler, and indeed a hidden and not-consciously-recognized or -expressed hatred of Muslims. Because, as we the intellectually honest and self-examining minority are aware, people tar with a very broad brush in their search for someone to blame for their disenfranchisement and absence of fair treatment and respect.

The Muslims didn't do this to us; al-Qaeda didn't do this to us; Bin Laden didn't do this to us; Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and any of a hundred other "bad actors" didn't do this to us. We did this to ourselves. More accurately, we demanded that our government do it TO us to make us feel safe, secure, and cared-for. But we're not inclined to hate ourselves for it; we need someone else--some "outsider" to hate for it. And you're it.

Truly sorry, guy....

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Well, a mixture of CNN, tap water, and pat downs can make you hate/fear anyone.
Indeed it can.

But if people are still watching CNN and drinking tap water, pat-downs and muslims are the least of their worries.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostmymarbles

That's what truly worries me. I mean I'm just one person and it's hard enough tryna convince some people on ATS that I don't want them dead just because they aren't muslim. It's saddening simply because I have children who will have to grow up in this type situation...

Yeah the feeling is not good. To much fear and uncertainty in the air...

It also seems to be an on-going cycle, with a new group (race,religion,region,etc.) being the target every "X" years, until another group adds to the cycle or replaces the current cycle. Good example of history repeating itself, instead of learning from it.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Not to encouraging but it's a start.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
Maybe your family wasn't attractive enough for a patdown??? Ok jokes aside though, don't read too much into the situation I'm sure it wasn't your family they were mad at..... How we you feel if you got man handled from people who get their kicks from feeling up old people and children? What kind of person applies for a job that asks on the application if you feel comfortable touching kids seriously????
edit on 14-7-2011 by jheated5 because: (no reason given)

True, but say for example they said their reason for adding TSA, and body scanners, and enhanced pat downs was because of the Mexican Drug trade, and Mexicans walked though happy and care free, while I got patted. I MIGHT be a little irked at the Mexican. lol

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
To be honest, I've read many times, in many places an idle comment that Muslims are allowed to sail through security while presumably "upstanding" Americans are singled out for the patdown-feelup. It's a belief that many people have, and I'm sure it springs from a very deep, unexamined subconscious place. It represents resentment, a feeling of the unfairness of it all, the weariness of the constant traveler, and indeed a hidden and not-consciously-recognized or -expressed hatred of Muslims. Because, as we the intellectually honest and self-examining minority are aware, people tar with a very broad brush in their search for someone to blame for their disenfranchisement and absence of fair treatment and respect.

The Muslims didn't do this to us; al-Qaeda didn't do this to us; Bin Laden didn't do this to us; Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and any of a hundred other "bad actors" didn't do this to us. We did this to ourselves. More accurately, we demanded that our government do it TO us to make us feel safe, secure, and cared-for. But we're not inclined to hate ourselves for it; we need someone else--some "outsider" to hate for it. And you're it.

Truly sorry, guy....

They did it to control us more and make us THINK we were safe. In reality, we ARE safe from OUTSIDE threats. But people don't realize the inside threats are far more serious.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostmymarbles

We need a V...

Yes, V is like my damn hero.

"There's something very wrong with this country, isn't there?"

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Absolutely but you see that is what the government wants, to keep the cycle of hate and violence in full swing.... See how easily it was to be friends with these people and all of a sudden because of big brother you are now both questioning each other or even having resentment towards each other....... There is a purpose and reason for this and the puppet masters know exactly how to pull your strings....

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5

Absolutely but you see that is what the government wants, to keep the cycle of hate and violence in full swing.... See how easily it was to be friends with these people and all of a sudden because of big brother you are now both questioning each other or even having resentment towards each other....... There is a purpose and reason for this and the puppet masters know exactly how to pull your strings....

This is only 10 years in.. Oh dear Lord I'm not lookng forward to 2020... Hell I'm not looking forward to 2012!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Don't worry friend I think these TSA Aholes will be a thing of the past very soon, this is probably just an exercise to see how far the government can go before the general population gets fed up with them, they won't have jobs much longer........

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join