It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is CNN considered part of the "Mainstream Liberal Media"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I'm watching the CNN show "In The Arena" tonight and the segment being discussed is "Should the wealthy be taxed more?" The host brings up poll numbers that indicate 67% of those polled think they should, meanwhile only 25% think spending should be cut.

The host (this is on CNN,not FOX) then shows pictures of Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and the Facebook founder. He then shows a stock photo of a family with two kids and says this is also considered "wealthy", I'm paraphrasing here "let's pretend they make a combined 270K, they've worked hard all their lives, but living outside a city in the suburbs is really expensive, so that money doesn't go as far as it seems." And that's pretty much the end of the segment. ??????

IMO, this is just blatant propaganda for the top 2% and it's on a supposed "liberal media" channel! It's one thing to have a discussion about a family that makes 270K and that they shouldn't necessarily be overburdened with massive tax increases. It's another thing all together to have a segment in regards to raising taxes on the top 2% where a lot of the people in that group make much, much more than that amount and simply focus on a family that makes a combined 270K. It is very disingenuous to say the least, and it's clear that an agenda is involved.

This segment also made me realize that I never see any segments on any news channel that discuss raising taxes on the top 2% and how it can be a good thing for America, even though a vast majority of Americans are in favor of it. If it's ever discussed, it's always in a negative light.

BTW, the previous segment was basically a glowing endorsement for Michele Bachmann and how "poised" she. That CNN, what a bunch of Liberal jerks!

edit on 14-7-2011 by origamiandurbanism because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I think if a news source has it's own TV channel, it's a bad source.

I don't trust a news source that cares more about ratings than quality reporting.
edit on 7/14/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Unfortunately the news that the U.S. hears is far different to what the BBC broadcascasts. We still have live streamng channels that arn't censored.You on the other hand, hear only what you are meant to.
during the gulf war (first one) you were never told about the friendly fire incidents which killed 14 marines, also due to wikileaks showed the damning video- none of the US channels ever showed the helicopter tape of the rueters journalists being killed by one of your gun ships -2 children were injured in that debacle, and there was a gunship pilot quoted as saying ' serves them right for bringing kids to a battle.'American Murder... you see only what the 'higher highers' want you to see. whereas, we, the rest of the world, see everything.

edit on 14-7-2011 by crimsonred because: love

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by origamiandurbanism

In short... yes, CNN is a part of the Main Stream Liberal media. They aren't quite as bad as MSNBC, but they are still pretty bad. In all fairness, Fox does swing the other way, but I do think that they are indeed more fair and balanced thane their competition, but not much more. When having this discussion, it is important to differentiate between an opinion show hosted by commentators, and an actual news program.

One thing that you will never hear on any "news" channel, is that the super rich like Buffet and Gates don't make an income. In other words, they don't pay themselves a salary, and therefore they don't pay any income tax. They have already made their money, and the taxes that they pay are capital gains taxes based off of the amount that they make off of investments. This is why Buffet pays less of a percentage in taxes than the average Joe, because capital gains taxes are a lesser percentage than income taxes. However, if you look at the numbers, Buffet clearly pays much more than the average Joe in terms of dollar amount.
edit on 14-7-2011 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

I watched MSNBC a few days ago and almost DIED laughing once I realized they hired Cenk Uygur (from The Young Turks).

I didn't think anyone took that idiot seriously.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Yes , yes, CNN is predominantly liberal...

Yes, yes, FOX is predominantly conservative...

The MSM is designed to force sheeple to align themeselves with one side or the other...

The reality is YOU DON'T HAVE TO ALIGN YOURSELF WITH EITHER...

Think for yourself.

Enter the world of Alternative Media via the internet and use critical thinking to research topics on your own...

Alternative media provides ALTERNATIVE viewpoints... some alternative viewpoints are actually neither liberal OR conservative...

WOW! what a refreshing idea!!!!
edit on 14-7-2011 by coastlinekid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by coastlinekid

That is what i find refreshing about ATS, we have the ability to see,read,digest,understand,opinionise...with facts,videos etc.. i wish a lot more people realized what is really happening in our world. Unfortunately,, its a blinkered community that exists beyond.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
I think if a news source has it's own TV channel, it's a bad source.

I don't trust a news source that cares more about ratings than quality reporting.
edit on 7/14/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

I agree, I usually don't watch news channels anymore but tonight I made a mistake I think.

As far as I'm concerned, all news channels are corporate mouthpieces that usually don't even report news anymore.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

MMS never reporting the true facts, are you sure?hehe

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
In short... yes, CNN is a part of the Main Stream Liberal media. They aren't quite as bad as MSNBC, but they are still pretty bad. In all fairness, Fox does swing the other way, but I do think that they are indeed more fair and balanced thane their competition, but not much more. When having this discussion, it is important to differentiate between an opinion show hosted by commentators, and an actual news program.

Good point about Buffet and Gates, but I have to disagree in regards to Fox being more fair and balanced. I don't see it at all. Fox has a history of trying to create news stories instead of reporting on actual news, IMO. And they have a long history of somehow using the "wrong" footage in news stories, having a very heavy Republican to Democrat ratio on shows and misrepresenting facts.

These days I don't even watch much TV news, the only channel I'll check once in a while is CNN and I fail to see how they are Liberal at all. The segment in the OP is something you'd see on Fox and is far, far from being Liberal. It is just one example but I don't see how they are Liberal.

MSNBC is the closest thing to be a Liberal news station, and that is mostly with opinionated shows like Maddow and Schultz.
edit on 14-7-2011 by origamiandurbanism because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

You sly dog you! Your Partisanship is showing.

I'm not sure you will get many bites on this fishing trip.

You are of course aware if they took every penny the top 2% has, it would not take care of the first week? Of course you do

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
There is no "news" anymore.

All we see flooding the media which is 'pumped' at us, is the result of peddling influence along with a hefty helping of bread and circuses.

There is no "news."

It is all entertainment. It is the presentation of produced infotainment for the purpose and benefit of 'consumption' and those who 'provide' the product.

By the way, to a conservative, anything not conservative is liberal. To a liberal, anything not liberal is conservative. Don't get trapped in the theater. Our world is analogue; absolutes as ideology is a farce.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by coastlinekid

And, how would you advise someone to learn the 'real news'? Wikileaks has shut down, what we have here on ATS is, in my thoughts, becoming a very blinkered news forum, the reason being,- too many debunkers of facts, there are too many (disintell..) members.Are we to believe this that or the other?How do we , as interested, real, people searchers of truth, to know what is/are lies? How many videos, audio tapes can the BIG G. debunk?Can we honestly say, 'this is ''our forum''''? Do you honestly think the G's don't know about this forum? Of course they do , and they are more than willing to keep us playing.THIS IS A MASSIVE FORUM-DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THE US GOV'M DOESN'T KNOW IT?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

You sly dog you! Your Partisanship is showing.

I'm not sure you will get many bites on this fishing trip.

You are of course aware if they took every penny the top 2% has, it would not take care of the first week? Of course you do

I am honestly not trying to be partisan, even though I clearly do not like the current Republican party, but I don't like the current Democratic party either. I refuse to swear allegiance to any current party and I think this country would be better off if more people did the same. Just my opinion, though.

As far as taxing the top 2%, I think they clearly should be taxed more, but that's not really the point I was trying to make. It was to show that segments like these are not only on Fox, they are on other news channels that are supposedly liberal, or left leaning. There is no real Liberal media presence on cable TV anymore outside of the few shows MSNBC has on at night, IMO.

For example, MSNBC, the channel that is supposedly the biggest Liberal news channel on TV, has a morning show hosted by Joe Scarborough (a Republican) where recently a guest called Obama a dick.

And yes, this post is divisive, and I apologize in advance.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
OP thanks for the question and may PEACE be with you this evening.

Look into who Ted Turner is...part of the "Machine"

The founder who goes on to marry Jane Fonda (father was a Mason...Henry Fonda)

You are questioning and this is good! Many things are obvious once you peel the first three layers off (just a metaphor).

Regards and Nameste,

-Chung

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
CNN wasn't dubbed the Clinton News Network for nothing. Sure they have their center right moments, but the preponderance of their programming certainly takes a left leaning sway. It is the same way for the entire media and entertainment spectrum as a whole. The liberal bend has always been there in the subtle shadows and really came to the forefront in the 2008 election cycle. The liberal bias and blatant attempt to influence the public was alarming and its gotten worse since. 2012 is going to be a nightmare of an election.

Here is a thread I started regarding the admitted liberal bias in Hollywood and the entertainment industry (all "news" channels are now in the entertainment business)
It is clear as day and is coming straight from the horses mouth
www.abovetopsecret.com...

a little snippet from the article/thread

Some of TV’s top executives from the past four decades may have gotten more than they bargained for when they agreed to be interviewed for a politically charged book that was released Tuesday, because video of their controversial remarks will soon be hitting the Internet.

The book makes the case that TV industry executives, writers and producers use their clout to advance a liberal political agenda. The author bases his thesis on, among other things, 39 taped interviews that he’ll roll out piecemeal during the next three weeks

The liberal bias is everywhere.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Yup, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, BBC, Sky, Al Jezzera and any corporate media who airs more commercials then it does in programs and who can be conencted back to TPTB is all the LAMESTREAM MEDIA!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

CNN is pretty much all over the place. I personally feel they are too conservative and my conservative friends think they are too liberal. That tells you all you need to know.

They all tell lies. It's just that some of them tell you lies they know you'll keep coming back for.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
im sure at some point, some on the far right will call fox 'liberal'/

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
"Mainstream liberal media" is a codephrase for "Not owned by Rupert Murdoch". You know, the guy who was a victim of hacking in britain.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join