It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are kids taught in public schools to believe in next to impossible chance, rather than God?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
reply to post by addygrace

This is a troll thread right? Please tell me this is a troll thread?

The American government is not allowed to force any type of religion or spirituality upon Students.
Furthermore, accepted scientific theories are worked into the learning process, as they help students understand the basics of biology and chemistry, giving them further insight to the cycle of life and creation around them.

It'd be asinine to hear "God did it" in a science class. Seriously, go find a bridge to crawl under.

Would you say, it would be asinine to teach imaginative ideas that have not been observed in science class?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I am not talking about evolution. I'm talking about origins. Seriously this thread is getting into a subject, that I never even mentioned. What's with all the assumptions.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
1. Separation of church and state is one reason.

2. Which creation Idea would to teach? There are many many different stories of creation and giving them all equal time would not leave room for anything else.

3. Religion can be tied to evolution quite easily if parents want to go that route. Doesn't have to be one way or the other.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
One more thing.

Since it seems that you think it is unfair that creationism is not taught alongside evolution...

Should we teach astrology as well?

How about the Babylonian creation story, which the biblical creation story is clearly derived from.

What about the flood from The Epic of Gilgamesh, which Noah's flood is so clearly derived from?

How about the Dogan tribes creation story?

Why not just teach kids that a mighty cucumber slapped two nuclear pickles together to create the universe?

No, of course not! That would be crazy!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Just to add, the posts that I'm reading on here, prove a different point about people who believe in evoloution(at least the one's who replied), believe evolution to be an all consuming theory that covers origins. They do this with a dogmatic fervency, usually only attributed to the bible thumpers. Hypocrisy.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by addygrace

The American government is not allowed to force any type of religion or spirituality upon Students.
Furthermore, accepted scientific theories are worked into the learning process, as they help students understand the basics of biology and chemistry, giving them further insight to the cycle of life and creation around them.

It'd be asinine to hear "God did it" in a science class. Seriously, go find a bridge to crawl under.

Would you say, it would be asinine to teach imaginative ideas that have not been observed in science class?

Not everything has to be directly observed in science.

Have you ever directly observed gravity?

What about air?

Have you ever directly observed DNA mutation?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
reply to post by Frontkjemper

It's not quite "we came from nothing." Study it instead of bashing the strawman that you learned from the televangelists.

You're barking up the wrong tree homeslice. I'm spiritual, not religious so either way it's "meh". I just find it funny how people react to one outlandish idea yet not the other.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I am not talking about evolution. I'm talking about origins. Seriously this thread is getting into a subject, that I never even mentioned. What's with all the assumptions.

So you are talking about cosmology?

what grade school is teaching cosmology?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Just to add, the posts that I'm reading on here, prove a different point about people who believe in evoloution(at least the one's who replied), believe evolution to be an all consuming theory that covers origins. They do this with a dogmatic fervency, usually only attributed to the bible thumpers. Hypocrisy.

Once again evolution does not cover the origin of life. Why is that so hard.

It explains the bio-diversity of life.

As far as being all consuming, it is the basis of modern biology.

The origins of life is left to the study of abiogenesis.

Please point to where the dogma is. I can back evolution up with cold hard facts.

What can you back creationism up with.

If you see people getting aggravated it is because they are tired of the religious trying to insert their 'theories' that are irrefutable and have no evidence into the science classroom.

We aren't being dogmatic, we are pointing out your ignorance of the scientific method as well as your ignorance of the philosophy of science.

If you can present a good argument why creationism should be taught along side evolution in the science classroom you could possibly sway me. However, I have heard many of them and they all have been illogical and show a complete ignorance of the way science works. Basically you would have to conform creationism to the scientific method and I don't see that happening.

edit on 14-7-2011 by megabytz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

Originally posted by Solasis
reply to post by Frontkjemper

It's not quite "we came from nothing." Study it instead of bashing the strawman that you learned from the televangelists.

You're barking up the wrong tree homeslice. I'm spiritual, not religious so either way it's "meh". I just find it funny how people react to one outlandish idea yet not the other.

So tell us all, what is outlandish about the theory of evolution, with its mountains of evidence?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

couldn't have said it better myself, really I couldn't have

It is absurd to think people are so brainwashed they ignore scientific and archeological evidence completely.

Reason # 1 : they teach them the facts we know, not the ones we made up

Reason # 2 : Its not ok to lie to children, it will warp their minds like it did yours

If you want to learn from the bible apply its lessons morally, thats where they count.

ps. kids do get taught this if their parents wish, there are such things as private schools, catholic schools, etc

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Wow...

What a pointless thread...

I could see this thread go on for dozens of pages trying to explain to the OP and his supporters that there is a difference between "believing" and "knowing"...

Public schools are supposed to stick to what is KNOWN, not what is BELIEVED...

(oh boy,,here we go...)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

edit on 14-7-2011 by GummB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GummB

You aren't directly observing gravity though, you are seeing the effects gravity. Have you ever seen the curvature of space-time?

You aren't directly seeing air either, you are seeing the effects of air.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Why are kids being taught in school, to believe life on earth was absolute fortuitous eventuation that on the face of it leaves God out of the equation?

Because they are public schools and fall under Separation of Church and State.

As they should.

Too bad - some public schools try to cheat and teach God anyway.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Why are kids taught in public schools to believe in next to impossible chance, rather than God?

HELLO, ANYBODY IN THERE? You still living in the dark ages, buddy? Next to impossible chance?

Do you know how many stars there are?????????? 1,00000000000000000000 x 1,00000000000000000000 more.

And lets see. There is one definite known star out there (ours) that has life. THATS PRETTY GOOD ODDS, HEY?

On the one planet life is on, it's EVERYWHERE on it that it possibly CAN. Impossible chance....

The only impossible chance I see here is the God that could create infinity whilst in eternity. it's all natural.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Origins, as in the origin of the universe? Abiogenesis? It's not hypocritical to not understand, what ever you meant, you made it up that it's "Impossible Chance", and refer to it as such.

Either of those, and you're only playing God of the Gaps, which isn't a good enough argument for teaching in classrooms. "We don't know, yet, the origin of the universe. So instead of letting you know the possible solutions scientists have that fit all the information we have, we'll leave all the information out and and just say god did it."

Now I don't have a "dogmatic fervency" regarding this. Nor is there enough to assume anyone else who disagree's with you does. I personally respond to topics to give people a chance to disagree with my thoughts. I'm always open to new information, or logical standpoints, though I filter new stuff out if it's faulty or nonfactual.

You make a topic with your position, I give you mine so you may try to offer persuasion as to why yours is right. You call me a hypocrite, I walk away unconvinced, you accomplish nothing. Why bother? If you have any convincing information(which you should if you're so convinced), it would be far more effective to share than personal attacks.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by megabytz

I disagree with the air, if I see a bubble rising in water am I not directly seeing air.
It is not solid, I can see what is on the other side, however I can still see it is there.
therefor am I not "seeing" it

and btw I removed my above post because i am a dummy and couldn't fix the quotes

as for seeing the effects of gravity I agree, but is seeing the effects not clear evidence of it itself

asking if i have seen things that can not be physically observed on a scale we can replicate is pointless... we have evidence of them is that not good enough.

I personally have never actually seen a real human heart yet I feel mine beat every second, my blood is its evidence, and i firmly believe its there, is that not proof enough. ... I know this analogy is crap but its something lol

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

I home school my children because I want them to believe in a Goddess/Mother Nature, and not have the majority religion shoved down their throat here where I live in the south...Schools here are bad about that. There is no separation of church and state...

The last I checked, there are many different religions and viewpoints!

I'd be doing the same thing - - if I lived where you are.

Public schools have no right to be pushing religion.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by megabytz

Once again evolution does not cover the origin of life. Why is that so hard.
Why do you keep pretending I meant evolution?

The origins of life is left to the study of abiogenesis.
Now we're getting somewhere.

Please point to where the dogma is. I can back evolution up with cold hard facts.
This is exactly my point. In a thread about origins, everybody replied to the OP, with dogmatic fervency. Basically saying, "Who has the gall to question evolution?" Trying to explain to me, evolution has nothing to do with origins. When clearly it wasn't in the OP. Needless to say, I was blown away.

If you see people getting aggravated it is because they are tired of the religious trying to insert their 'theories' that are irrefutable and have no evidence into the science classroom.
We aren't being dogmatic, we are pointing out your ignorance of the scientific method as well as your ignorance of the philosophy of science.
Now this quote was impressive. You point out my ignorance of the scientific method and the science philosophies, I point out your ignorance of the OP.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join