It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are kids taught in public schools to believe in next to impossible chance, rather than God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Why are kids being taught in school, to believe life on earth was absolute fortuitous eventuation that on the face of it leaves God out of the equation? Wouldn't this actually be a form of religious imagination intruding on the minds of our kids? If we are going to teach origins in school, then all origins should have equal footing.

By only allowing one view on origins, we are basically killing any chance for our kids to discover critical thinking skills, rather than just following the imagination of another human being.

I'm being wheedled in perpetuum to home school my children, by what used to be regular old lassitude from those who hold the keys to the education system. Now I see this nefariousness is a calculated total disregard for the rights of the children, and for the total abrogation of God. If it's just the observable that's being taught in the Science classes, then why even entertain any imaginative idea of origins? It's actually oxymoronic, in that it masquerades as a viable scientific idea, yet it's the exact opposite.

+109 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by addygrace

This is a troll thread right? Please tell me this is a troll thread?

The American government is not allowed to force any type of religion or spirituality upon Students.
Furthermore, accepted scientific theories are worked into the learning process, as they help students understand the basics of biology and chemistry, giving them further insight to the cycle of life and creation around them.

It'd be asinine to hear "God did it" in a science class. Seriously, go find a bridge to crawl under.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I agree that both theories should be taught in schools, Although I feel that Creationism should be taught in an elective (voluntary) theology class not under the guise of science.

+33 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Why are kids being taught in school, to believe life on earth was absolute fortuitous eventuation that on the face of it leaves God out of the equation?

Because it makes sense? Why must children believe an invisible supreme being made them?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Yep, indoctrinate em early. I see your point. Why wait? Get em when their most mallable and impressionable and they trust you to tell them what's what.

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

No children should be forced any sort of religion at school!

Science only for my kids please!....

If they fancy a religion later in life then thats fine but very doubtful!

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Because it's not next to an impossible chance. Because it has observable evidence which, while not conclusively proving it, strongly suggests its truth; at least a lot more than the observable evidence of God which is mostly "Things are pretty! Read this book! or that one."

In addition, it's not directly incompatible with God; it is only directly incompatible with the biblical account, and most other classic accounts.

And do you really think that because it's not being taught in schools, kids won't be exposed to Christianity? It's pretty damn hard not to be exposed to Christianity.

*feeds a thread, oblivious to the fact that it's a troll disguised as a thread*

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
Because it makes sense?

Lol, and how does "we were made from nothing" make any more sense?

+21 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I agree ops

Another thing that steams me...why are they teaching computers are made in a factory? I believe they are made by a magical genie named Fred that pops all computers into existance

What do they have that is proof of manufacturing? some scientists saying so? pah! like scientists are gods or something...

I think in science class, they need to give equal time to not only the mythical manufacturing process, but also my concept of genies making electonics!

See the issue yet?
Lets go with what we can prove for science...given thats pretty what much science is all about. leave mythos to a class designed for that...aka, theology.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Because, unlike you(yes I'm making an assumption about you, correct me if I'm wrong.), the government hears from the scientific community where the facts point to for evolution/intelligent design. You, I'm imagining, have been hearing from churches and other individuals with an agenda of promoting their idea, instead of the scientific agenda of finding what's true.

Impossible chance is a joke. If you write a book; every thought that pops into your head(random chance) gets put in if it's good and fits, if it doesn't it gets removed right away or later. Sentences get gradually rewritten to be more fluid(streamlining), and the final draft is far more complex, if not totally different from the original(Compare bacteria to mammals). Best part is if you save different drafts(fossils) onto your computers or leave notes.

It's "Impossible" chance that the book came out the way it is. And you have about as much evidence to try to convince someone that god wrote the book as is as you do saying god had to make life.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Kids should not to be forced in school to learn about religion. if parents want them to lean about god in school send them to a private school

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

It's not quite "we came from nothing." Study it instead of bashing the strawman that you learned from the televangelists.

To properly sum it up in your brand of conciseness, "We come from some 2 billion years of really cool stuff that we kind of understand happening, and before that something we're not quite sure of happened, but what led to that is a pretty sweet ten billion years; but back then, something else happened, and we really don't know what it is." What you call "nothing" is what scientists call "I wish I knew what that was!"

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by addygrace
If we are going to teach origins in school, then all origins should have equal footing.

Not all origins are equal though. One works on science and probabilities, without any outside influence and the other preaches intelligent design without providing any proof of it.

Nothing wrong with teaching faith, but it has a place - churches, temples and mosques.

Khar

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

As TheOneElectric said, please please please tell me this is a troll thread.

Chances are it isn't because the ignorance of the religious knows no bounds so...

Wouldn't this actually be a form of religious imagination intruding on the minds of our kids?

No it absolutely is not. I am assuming you are referring to the teaching of the theory of evolution, which does not deal with or attempt to explain the origins of life. It explains the bio-diversity of life on earth as is backed by the preponderance of the evidence, what evidence does 'god did it' have?

If we are going to teach origins in school, then all origins should have equal footing.

Again what evidence is there for creationism? Also science isn't about being fair, it is about the evidence.

By only allowing one view on origins, we are basically killing any chance for our kids to discover critical thinking skills, rather than just following the imagination of another human being.

So you want kids to be taught nonsense that has no evidence to back it up and is most certainly the product of peoples imagination as an equal theory to the theory of evolution which has 150 years worth of evidence? Yes it sounds great to indoctrinate our kids in religious dogma while their young. Creationism is not science. It is not testable, falsifiable, nor does it make any predictions.

Now I see this nefariousness is a calculated total disregard for the rights of the children, and for the total abrogation of God.

Your paranoia is laughable. So teachers as well as scientist have banded together in order to keep god out of schools, never mind what the constitution says, and teach a made up theory called evolution that is supported by evidence instead of teaching that god willed everything into existence? What is life like on your planet?

If it's just the observable that's being taught in the Science classes, then why even entertain any imaginative idea of origins?

Please give one example where imagination plays a role in the theory of evolution that is not supported by evidence?

It is very simple. Right here at your fingertips you have access to vast amounts of scientific knowledge. You may have to pay for access to some journals but everything you need to learn is right there. Don't brainwash your children by teaching them creationism and telling them evolution has no evidence. Don't tell them rubbish like 'its only a theory', attempt to use statistics to disprove evolution, or tell them how absurd it is to think we came from monkeys. Your children will be laughing stocks and will grow up extremely ignorant of science and the natural world.

If you want them to make up their own minds than teach them logic and rationality. Teach them critical thinking skills without your own biases.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I don't want them to learn the wacky theories of "science" either. They get taught nonsense like the Big Bang THEORY as if it is a fact.

It is science's weak trick to try to accommodate themselves with religion, as in first there was nothing, then God said, let there be a big bang.

I don't believe either one.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

Originally posted by Nobama
Because it makes sense?

Lol, and how does "we were made from nothing" make any more sense?

Do you know what a straw man is?

Can you name me one scientist that says we came from nothing.

We came from nothing sounds an awful like creationism actually.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

I home school my children because I want them to believe in a Goddess/Mother Nature, and not have the majority religion shoved down their throat here where I live in the south...Schools here are bad about that. There is no separation of church and state...

The last I checked, there are many different religions and viewpoints!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
I don't want them to learn the wacky theories of "science" either. They get taught nonsense like the Big Bang THEORY as if it is a fact.

It is science's weak trick to try to accommodate themselves with religion, as in first there was nothing, then God said, let there be a big bang.

Yet another straw man.

When does science try to accommodate themselves with religion? What scientist says first there was nothing then bang? Saying god did it would be the tactic of the theists. They are the ones that like to stick god into the gaps in our knowledge, not science.

Scientists do not make things up, such as god, when they don't know something. You know what they say if asked what was before the big bang? They say I don't know.

Do you have any clue about how much evidence there is to support the big bang?

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

I know, right? They even act like the Theory of Gravity is a fact, the nerve of them.

The big bang theory wasn't designed to fit with or go against the God hypothesis. Understand why science believes something before assuming they're trying to trick you. And especially at least research what Theory means scientifically, instead of assuming it's the same as you'd mean it speaking casually.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This is the truth that the Holy SPirit put on me while praying and deliberating on the origin of creation. in the Book of Genesis it says "and God said, let there be light", and the universe exploded into being. This means that yes the Big Bang most likely occurred, however an explosion of that nature just does not "happen", it requires a catalyst. That catalyst I believe was God, for nothing happens without it being his will. Think of the sheer power he has that with just a few words he spoke the universe into existence.

The bible tells us an analogy of God's time, that a thousand years (our time) is like a day to him. This does not mean it Literally was, but that at that time with their knowledge man couldnt fathom bilions or millions of years, so that analogy was used to give our primitize brains some form of an idea.

When God created the first humans, they were not adam and eve. There were 3 earth ages before he got around to making adam and eve. For whatever reason those other humans were not deemed fit to survive. Once adam and eve were created, they were made to live eternal lives, and therefore had no need to procreate, because procreation is only needed for mortal species, and at that time they had not fallen and were not dying. Until the Fall, they probably lived for tens of millions of years, which could explain the human footprints beside dinosaur footprints found fossilized in rock, discovered several years ago when some rock climbers discovered the prints on a sheer rock face high in the Himalayas. So after the fall, i believe they became mortal probably around 40,000-30,000 years ago. My reasoning for this is that after Kain slew Abel, and was cursed by God to walk the earth with a mark on him, he went to the land of Nod and took a wife. So there were probably the other human remnants left other with which he bred (Neanderthals) and which were probably exterminated in the great flood caused at the end of the last ice age when a sheet of ice from antarctica broke off and caused a massive wave 3-4 miles high to spread across the earth and subsequent rains thereafter because a tsunami of that size would no doubt have catastrohic effects on the jetstreams.

It doesnt matter if you believe in God or Jesus, there is NO way to heaven but through Jesus. You can believe in whatever gods you want, or you can believe that nothing happens and you go to oblivion. Its better to have Faith, than have nothing at all. I've seen even the most staunchest athieists cry out for God on their deathbeds in fear of what lies beyond this world. Ive seen these atheists quail in terror, the ones that refused to get saved, for they saw demons coming to take them to hell in thier final moments. I've felt the love and light flow from loved ones and friends who were saved as the Lord came to take them home, and saw the joy and the freedom in their eyes when they were catching glimpses of God in his glory, and to see their friends and family who have gone before them.

I choose to believe in Jesus, if i were to leave this world today, i would be happy to go home. I could spend the rest of eternity at Christs feet worshipping the one who saved my soul, and gave me a love and a friendship that i would never have known otherwise. One day brothers and sisters, we will all go home together, we will open our eyes there and this world will be as a dream.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join