It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon discloses largest-ever cyber theft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
www.armytimes.com...

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon on Thursday revealed that in the spring it suffered one of its largest losses ever of sensitive data in a cyberattack by a foreign government.

William Lynn, the deputy secretary of defense, said in a speech outlining the strategy that 24,000 files containing Pentagon data were stolen from a defense industry computer network in a single intrusion in March. He offered no details about what was taken but said the Pentagon believes the attacker was a foreign government. He didn’t say which nation.

“We have a pretty good idea” who did it, Lynn said in an interview before the speech. He would not elaborate.

So the attack back in March was the biggest cyber-theft the Pentagon experienced? Plus, it was problably a foreign government?

I wonder what kind of information was stolen. Maybe they need a better security system these days?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
it just bizarre that any computer carrying any kind of top secret sensitive info on military weapons would even be on a computer that is connected to the internet.

knowing the pentagon their files are saved on windows 95 which they just acquired exclusive rights from microsoft for $87 billion dollars.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
China or Russia, take your pick. I just elaborated.
edit on 14-7-2011 by michaelmcclen because: elaborated

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
why do i get the feeling another wiki is commin on.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'd bet the US government is doing a lot more hacking than whoever they are.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Of course we all know the chinese government has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this attack. I would blame the ET's. They have always been tricky, sneaky & picky...

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
No details on what was stolen or who stole it...plus this happened awhile ago.

So this pretty much leaves it open for whoever they want to lay the blame on to justify another 'Humanitarian Mission'? Or label it as another terrorist attack on the US since hacking is now considered terrorism?

Yup, a wide open opportunity to basically launch an attack anywhere without providing proof, names or evidence.

Not buying it anymore.

edit on 14-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
"We have a pretty good idea." he says...

pff, more like "we have no idea, go back to sleep, everything is fine."

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
24,000 files? Who's bright idea was it to put a computer with that many files onto an internet network?

They should be fired, along with the entire DoD Cyber Security Department. I could find better hackers and more advanced encryption on 4chan.

Hell, my home internet is more secured than the computers at the Pentagon.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Raises the question: If the "enemy" knows, dont we have the right to know it to??

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
* Waits patiently for the same members to say the 'foreign government' are E-terrorists, CIA, Feds, etc and then twist it to blame it all on anaonymous*

C'mon I know what you're thinking.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Balkan
I'd bet the US government is doing a lot more hacking than whoever they are.

I seriously doubt it. There are better hackers in Russia and China.

Hence the panic.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Wasnt the entire newest jet they havent even built yet stored in some contractors computer which got hacked last spring?I am sure this is what hes talking about

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
why do i get the feeling another wiki is commin on.

The information they lost is probably worth a fortune. Doubtful you will see it end up in the public domain.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It has to have been Iran. I'm sure once we go in we will find the evidence on one of their computers. Shock and Awe X, this time we're serious.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Perhaps it was Israel
just to see where they fit in with the 'arab spring' all around them?

would not be the first time they have stolen/received US secrets.
also would not be the first time they have attacked the US (cyber and otherwise)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
it just bizarre that any computer carrying any kind of top secret sensitive info on military weapons would even be on a computer that is connected to the internet.

Yeah, I'm thinkin this is just a complete fabrication concocted to help convince the masses that Internet Anonymity is bad for our health and well-being. Here we are mid-July, this happened in the Springtime, and they just decided to throw it out there? Riiiiiight....

edit on 7/14/2011 by new_here because: (no reason given)

top topics

join