It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger King, IHOP among restaurant chains to make healthier kids' meals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Burger King, IHOP among restaurant chains to make healthier kids' meals

www.ktvq.com

Big changes are coming to kids' meal menus, now that 19 restaurant chains have announced their intentions to add healthier options. Chains like Burger King, Chili's, Friendly's, and IHOP plan to include low-sugar, low-sodium options that boast increased servings of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains at over 15,000 restaurants nationwide.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
it's about time is all I gotta say...I can't help but get a sick feeling in my stomach when I see fat kids all over the place...and we all know it comes from their diet and inactivity...just nice to see more and more places actually starting to try and help curve the curves on these kids

Au Bon Pain, Bonefish Grill, Burger King, Burgerville, Carrabba's Italian Grill, Chevys, Chili's, Corner Bakery Cafe, Cracker Barrel, Denny's, El Pollo Loco, Friendly's, IHOP, Joe's Crab Shack, Outback Steakhouse, Silver Diner, Sizzler, T-Bones Great American Eatery and zpizza are some of the places planning on changing menu's up a bit and I gotta say I love IHOP AT 2AM after a good night out drinkin

www.ktvq.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Good news indeed

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

Good for them, it's about time

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
They have to, some burger kings are selling beer!!!! They have to even out the menu.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by etombo
They have to, some burger kings are selling beer!!!! They have to even out the menu.

which bk's serve beers? send me to that bk PLZ

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Whats IHOP?

Kangaroo burgers? lean meat, tastes pretty good

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

International House of Pancakes...open 24/7...

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Yep, all for the peoples health my arse.

They will not change their recipe's, they'll just make them smaller and charge the same.

Nothing to see here except those who are playing you folk.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

did you read the source? they're not changing how much they serve...they're adding healthier items to their menu's...more fruit and veggies...healthier chicken and such...it's not just fast food restaraunts doing it either...

I'm surprised I didn't see Mcdonnalds on that list though
edit on 14-7-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Yep, I read the source, but I have also experianced dining in many of these establishments as well. Words are one thing. Actions are another.

One of the things I have noticed when companies expand their "healthier" menu" is that they raise the price as well.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

not everything is completely sinister...at least the places people eat at all the time are trying for healthier alternatives...you seem to imply this is a bad thing

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I'm with you on this one TDawg. I don't trust them to make anything healthier. Just look at the article in the OP:

The fast-food chain also reformulated children's chicken nuggets to include less sodium

"Reformulated"? Other than a couple spices (salt, pepper, etc), what else needs to be IN chicken nuggets?? I don't know, maybe the word reformulated is just rubbing me the wrong way in this article, but the obesity issue is not going to change until we ween these kids (and their parents) off of the processed food crap, IMO.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggyMcBigPants

quite a few of the restaraunts aren't even fast food...thats just burger king...less sodium=less salt and burger king and mcdonalds are the kings and queens of salty food...and I know they put a ton of salt in all chicken nuggets no matter where you get them

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
its good to know this, I love BK on certain occasions and IHOP is the best, its rare in canada can only find one in niagara falls

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

One thing I have noticed since I have retired. I cook at home more often and am eating a whole heck of a lot healthier and for a lot less money. Still it isn't cheap, But I feel better than I have in years.

I rarely eat out these days, and I used to alot, Mainly Applebees, Fridays and Paninis. Never fried though, but it did take it's toll on the wallet.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Good job nothing! Parents need to get off their fat butts and cook. not the processed crap in a box.

Eating out should be nothing more then a treat. Its called junk food for a reason.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

McDonald's is not part of this movement or program or whatever it is called though. Also, noticed this from the article as well:

The effort is part of a new National Restaurant Association initiative to not only give kids healthier options at restaurants but to make it easier for parents to find them. Some of the items are already on menus, but restaurants will advertise them more prominently and mark the healthier ones to make ordering easier.

To qualify for the program, restaurants must include at least one kids menu item that is 600 calories or less and meets other nutritional requirements, with a side dish worth less than 200 calories.

Are we the taxpayer's subsidizing this in some way?? I am going to need to look into this a bit further, but if it turns out we are subsidizing this in someway, then we know WHY the companies are doing this: free money, not out of a sense to "do the right thing".

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

By the way, Have you seen how chicken nuggets are made?

One word...fused.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants

McDonald's is not part of this movement or program or whatever it is called though. Also, noticed this from the article as well:

The effort is part of a new National Restaurant Association initiative to not only give kids healthier options at restaurants but to make it easier for parents to find them. Some of the items are already on menus, but restaurants will advertise them more prominently and mark the healthier ones to make ordering easier.

To qualify for the program, restaurants must include at least one kids menu item that is 600 calories or less and meets other nutritional requirements, with a side dish worth less than 200 calories.

Are we the taxpayer's subsidizing this in some way?? I am going to need to look into this a bit further, but if it turns out we are subsidizing this in someway, then we know WHY the companies are doing this: free money, not out of a sense to "do the right thing".

It's just an association that a restaraunt has the choice of joining...it's goal is pretty obviously stated...has nothing to do with them getting anything free from us...it's just a business's choice

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join