It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the New Crime... Walking Under the Influence.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
reply to post by Surreptitious

Whilst it is still technically an offence to be drunk in a public place here in the UK, it's very rare the police will arrest you for being drunk alone. Otherwise we would have thousands of people arrested every weekend simply for being drunk!

If your excessively drunk, still not causing an issue and a police officer spots you they'll usually just check your okay and make sure you have the ability to get yourself home.

Usually, you would be charged with being drunk & disorderly - your drunk and acting in an inappropriate manner i.e. shouting, swearing, being sick, being rowdy etc

To the OP:

Sounds like a fairly horrible experience and not knowing the laws where you live I don't really have to much to say. However, it seems wrong and if I were you I'd definitely file a complaint..

Hi, not neccesarily, just being over-drunk is in itself an offense in the UK, also the Police have a duty to "Protect & Serve" (ish) so if you've been silly enough to waste your 20% VAT on alco-pops (which in part pays for the Police, - like drug trade convictions/assets confiscated etc) then you deserve all you get in my humble opinion.

Regards.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Surreptitious
Hi, not neccesarily, just being over-drunk is in itself an offense in the UK, also the Police have a duty to "Protect & Serve" (ish) so if you've been silly enough to waste your 20% VAT on alco-pops (which in part pays for the Police, - like drug trade convictions/assets confiscated etc) then you deserve all you get in my humble opinion.

Regards.

I know, I said that here

Whilst it is still technically an offence to be drunk in a public place here in the UK, it's very rare the police will arrest you for being drunk alone.

Unless your that hammered you can't walk straight, talk coherently or stop throwing up on yourself and your not acting in any way to disturb the peace 9 times out of 10, you'll be left alone.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

Yes, only joking... always be respectful to the cops, it assures an easy life.

Regards.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

No need to quote me,

thanks anyway..

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
What is that old saying? PIGS WILL BE PIGS

I swear they do more harm then good. Back in the days cops were cops but now they are just revenue collectors with a huge superiority complex.

What does it take to be a cop? Not even a high school diploma. Most of them don't even know the laws they are imposing on people.

Sorry for the rambling, just never had a good experience with pigs.

My 2 cents
edit on 14-7-2011 by JustBreathe11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

No need to quote me,

thanks anyway..

I beg your pardon?

You have a problem because I quoted your post?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

No not at all, what ever gave you that idea?

Let's just chill and be nice,

Regards.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Are there a lot of DUI arrests made there?

Honestly it seemed to me, like they were trying to bully you into driving home instead of walking, so they could then get you on a DUI and put some serious hurt on you.

That, or something personal like someone else here mentioned.

Hope they leave you alone in the future.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

No not at all, what ever gave you that idea?

Let's just chill and be nice,

Regards.

I'm sorry

How am I not being nice? Have I done something to offend you?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Again, thanks you guys! I really appreciate the input.

I was intrigued to hear about all the laws of drinking in the UK.
Especially the being drunk on an airplane, considering (it may be different there)
they serve alcohol on the plane.

I definitely feel like this situation wasn't right.

It is possible that I flirted with the wrong girl, but the dollar shot girls are dressed in lingerie!
LOL.

Anyway, if anyone has any idea who to talk to, or how to talk to them about this, I definitely would appreciate
that info.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by canselmi

LOL I have thought about that.
It sounds like a good idea, but at the same time, I worry they would
just assume I was on some drugs or something because
'clearly I am under the influence of something'

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I believe there are a lot of DUI arrests... at least that is the impression I get from the monday morning dockets. haha.
I don't own a car, but I have access to drive. I choose not to drive because I don't need a felony DUI arrest or anything
like that, it does seem like some sort of entrapment. Don't drive drunk, but if you walk, we'll get ya anyways!

Either way I guess I understand that I am 6 foot 2 and about 210 pounds, so that may be why he called for his buddies.
What I don't understand is that I was not stand-off-ish, and had no threatening demeanor (i don't like confrontation), and I stopped and stood still. Hands in plain sight, etc.. so I felt very intimidated by the whole thing.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HardyWhite

this might clear things up for you www.avvo.com... from the link

BURLINGTON — Vermont’s second largest city is changing its approach to how it handles publicly intoxicated people. Anyone encountered by local police who is severely drunk and incapacitated can be placed into protective custody and taken to jail at the Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility until sober enough to leave.
i do not know if this is where you are in Vermont, but all most any one with in a 2 hours drive gets to visit there if public intoxicated.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I live about 45 minutes from Burlington. Interesting article. The prison they put me in was
Chittenden County Correctional Center. I haven't heard of the Marble Valley place, but this is very
good to know!

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I'd speak to a lawyer mate and see where you stand legally on the matter

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

my opinion? stop drinking at the bar. it takes away a "reason for stopping you". if the police stopped you every time you wore Nikes, you'd stop wearing Nikes out doors really quick. if you get pulled over repeatedly for drinking... IF alcohol is causing you problems, maybe you shouldn't be drinking.

I work EMS, there are only 3 types of people out on the street at 1am. LEO/EMS, Preditors & victims. if you're intoxicated and walking the streets, you're moving yourself to the top of the victims list. consider the position your placing yourself in.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Your not doing anything wrong bud, I dont understand why they thought you should be locked up, Especially if you have no prior criminal record, Just seems strange to me.

I would most definetly consult a lawer, There are alot out there that will do free consultations. You could gain some vaulable information from them at least, some information you could either use to get yourself out a like situation if it were to happen again, or info on how to go about calling these cops out about their bull*&%$ behavior.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The reason this happened is civil liability.

If you were to stumble out into the street and get hit by a vehicle after the officer interacted with you (most likely because you're out walking at 2AM- something most people are not doing and therefore is unusual) then he gets hit with a MASSIVE lawsuit for NOT taking you into custody until you are sober. Before someone says "Probable Cause": PC is not needed for an initial contact and investigation. What is needed is reasonable suspicion and any action out of the ordinary is sufficient such as being out at odd hours walking through a residential neighborhood.

Even if he were to drive you home and drop you off that is a risk. If you were to hurt yourself, say trip down the stairs and break your arm, the liability is on the officer.

If you wish to affix blame for this place it on personal injury attorneys. They and the juries who sit on these civil cases created the case law that officers now have to deal with.

That being said I'd often drive drunks home- even after a DWI stop- if they lived close enough. If something would have happened to those people after I dropped them off I'd STILL be paying out 35 cents out of every dollar I make so take that into consideration.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join