It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 women and children killed in Check Point

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Dear Readers,

Did you know that 7 women and children were killed while driving by a check point by US soldiers from the same Brigade that had four of their soldiers blown off.

What a merciless act by the BEST ARMY IN THE WORLD guys! Please comment.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Could you please supply a source link.
I'll take a look at somemore propaganda.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
U.S. troops in southern Iraq shot and killed seven women and children in a van Monday when the driver failed to stop at a checkpoint as ordered, U.S. Central Command said.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Please look at the Yahoo news today 01 Apr 03 at 0510 GMT. The beginning is as follows:

U.S.: Troops Killed at Least 7 Civilians
51 minutes ago

By ROBERT H. REID, Associated Press Writer

DOHA, Qatar - U.S. troops in southern Iraq (news - web sites) shot and killed seven women and children in a van Monday when the driver failed to stop at a checkpoint as ordered, U.S. Central Command said.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well, lets examine what happened.

• The van refused to stop after being told to do so
  • The soldiers fires warning shots, the van still did not stop
  • They then fired shots into the engine block to try and stop it. The van kept coming.
  • As a last resort they fire into the passenger compartment, when they open up the back they find women and children

Lets be realistic, they couldn't take the chance especially after it still kept on coming.

This is getting ridiculous are members going to post every single death in the Iraqi War on ATS.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   
shockandawe your post quality better improve, because quite frankly your first 2 attempts have been pathetic.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
"Improve Post Quality"? In your definition the Improved Post would be one suppoting blindly the US war on Iraq, No? Never mind. You are free to comment and I am not the one to find fault with others.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:30 PM
link   
What did you expect the soldiers to do? As MS said, they gave them more than fair warning. They have seen fellow soldiers killed by a "civilian taxi driver" homicide bomber, "civilians" waving white flags only to turn and ambush, can you blame them?? It is sad and I'll bet they felt bad but unfortunately they had four chances to stop and chose not to. Civilian casualties are inevitable and have been kept relatively low for what is going on.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Why didnt they shoot the tires out? That seems like the logical thing to me.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Hey they could have used 40MM/M203, that would have stopped them.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza

Easy to suggest sitting at your computer, did you see the story of all the troops that were run over by the guy in the pickup truck? It is a struggle to survive and they probably didnt have time to see who was inside, and after four warnings they made sure they weren't the next victims on the casualty list. As I said it's very unfortunate but you cant place all the blame on troops in a foreign land trying to survive.

[Edited on 1-4-2003 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
It is a struggle to survive and they probably didnt have time to see who was inside, and after four warnings they made sure they weren't the next victims on the casualty list. As I said it's very unfortunate but you cant place all the blame on troops in a foreign land trying to survive.
[Edited on 1-4-2003 by ProudAmerican]

I have found through the history of all wars the "Politician" is to blame. At least for our counties involvment.

Never forget, in WAR nobody is a winner.

[Edited on 1-4-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Umm yeah, I think you've watched one too many hollywood movies. Shooting tires out will not stop a vehicle in it's tracks. A vehicle could still travel several miles on it's steel rims.
So no, shooting out the tires would not stop a moving vehicle, unless it was travelling at high speed ( where it would probably lose control and crash ).
Shooting the engine block ( which they tried to do ) is far more effective, however in this case it didn't work. This is probbaly becuase they were only firing light ammunition at it.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Shooting the engine block ( which they tried to do ) is far more effective, however in this case it didn't work. This is probbaly becuase they were only firing light ammunition at it.

.223 to be exact.
Thank you thank you, wheres my extra star?

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Of course, the US personnel may not have shouted in Arabic which means that it really wasn't much good shouting, at all.
On the other hand: this could have been a set up: I'm looking for details on the driver.
This trap was what I warned about when possible reactions to the suicide bombing were announced. It is another setback in the propaganda war and, regardless of what Americans may think, such incidents, friendly-fire catastrophes, bombed markets etc all redound globally to the USA's discredit. As does any apparent tardiness in owning up or issuing a cogent refutation.
The world, rightly or wrongly, sets "real" dead women against "claimed" executions, woundings of Saddam, captured towns and so forth and the US loses out.
It will not do for US posters merely to brush this aside or cite anti-US bias. It was America that made the pronouncements about "liberating" and "rebuilding" Iraq ( in part as a distraction from claims of WMD that were yet to be -and are yet to be - substantiated; claims of SAaddam's links to 9-11 -drivel - , members of the "coalition" etc...blah....yawn....sigh).
America is losing the propaganda battle through ineptitude and it was America that started it.
The Bush administration needs to think very carefully about its public stance or every such incident weakens America further in the eyes of the 95% or so of the world's population who are not American

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Yes, the US botched the start of the air campaign. They should have taken out all nodes of communication at the very start. This would have denied Saddam his outlet for propaganda, which he has so far used very well.
Taking out al-jazeera with an E-bomb would have been beneficial as well, but I guess a tad too obvious.

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 05:46 AM
link   
A second shooting (two unarmed men) just reported here and -make of Britain's Manchester Guardian what you will; it isn't renowned for bad journalism - a very different version of events in this thread here:www.guardian.co.uk...
this also has an update on the market killings.

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 06:02 AM
link   
What the FFFFF. were US army doing there in the first place?

Had they stayed at home, not start a bloody war, no one would be getting killed!

top topics

join