It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EDITORIAL: Too fast, too furious

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

EDITORIAL: Too fast, too furious

www.washingtontimes.com

The botched operation provided ammunition for administration officials intent on exploiting any excuse to demand expanded gun-control measures. The White House often claimed that 90 percent of the weapons used in Mexican crimes had been traced to the United States, but the number has never been substantiated. By all appearances, Fast and Furious delivered statistics to back up the figure. Not surprisingly, the Justice Department pounced on the issue Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
the word count cut off the rest of and best part of that paragraph...

Not surprisingly, the Justice Department pounced on the issue Monday. It issued a regulation requiring gun shops in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and California to report purchases of multiple rifles made within a five-day period. The timing of the new mandate seems a little too convenient, as it’s not yet clear how much of this supposed gunrunning “problem” originates in Washington.

this story also eludes to the family of slain agent Terry is considering suing the federal government for negligence in his death. If the suit goes forward, Mr. Holder could find himself testifying under oath about his role in Operation Fast and Furious.

Right now Congress is none to happy with Mister Holder and he's become an embarrassment to the Obama Admin...

www.washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Man, I really hope some heads will roll over this fiasco. Pointing fingers at US gun owners and trying to convince the scaredy people of the world that it's our right to "keep and bear arms" which is to blame for Mexican drug cartels acquiring guns.
I hope this continues to blow up in their faces. BIG time.
Shame shame on those guys!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
"The timing of the new mandate seems a little too convenient, as it’s not yet clear how much of this supposed gunrunning “problem” originates in Washington"

I love that.

Obamacare, Stimulus, TSA pat-downs, Prosecuting foreign terrorists in federal courts, Bailing out car companies, Deploying the military to Libya..................
See a pattern here? They don't care. They're going to do whatever they want to anyway.
They think your stupid and weak.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Like they said in the story

The timing of the new mandate seems a little too convenient, as it’s not yet clear how much of this supposed gunrunning “problem” originates in Washington.

Damn straight the “problem” originates in Washington... they knew who the buyers were and they purposely sold them weapons knowing they would go to cartels... to borrow a line from Homer.... D'oh...

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This thing keeps picking up speed amongst the alternate new media, and yet the MSM continues to ignore it.

I know that TownHall is a Repub site, but this is the first time I have seen a mainstream alternative site use the phrase that we here at ATS have been saying for months.

townhall.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

In light of the info we have so far about our govt (more than likely CIA based arms dealers), I wonder how it ties in to the recent events revealing Hezbolla encampments/training facilities in Mexico. Links for that info here, here, and here to name a few.

It definately widens the scope of what potential we have there, yet I shall not speculate on its' future national issues and consequences.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Oh, the irony.........:

Earlier this year, President Obama, in a joint appearance with Mexican President Calderon, noted the need to address the role that straw purchasing plays in illegal gun trafficking operations. Members of the firearms industry, through NSSF, have for over a decade supported and helped fund the Don’t Lie for the Other Guy campaign. A joint effort between ATF and NSSF, the Don’t Lie for the Other Guy campaign helps to educate firearms retailers on how to better detect and prevent illegal purchases of firearms and warns the public that it is a serious crime to engage in a straw purchase: “Buy a gun for someone who can’t, buy yourself 10 years in jail.” NSSF calls on Congress, the Department of Justice and the Administration to continue funding Don’t Lie for the Other Guy so that this industry-supported initiative will help to prevent illegal purchases nationwide.

www.nssfblog.com...

This campaign helps to educate firearms retailers how to detect and prevent illegal purchases.

It's clear they apply the "do as we say, not as we do" approach to education in this "campaign."

Buy a gun for someone who can't, buy yourself 10 years in jail.

REALLY? Then I wonder how much jail time members of this administration should do for intentionally letting these straw purchases take place? I mean, after all, the government's campaign says "it is a serious crime to engage in a straw purchase."

Mr. Obama, Mr. Holder..... please.... "don't lie for the other guy"

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

Sounds to me like the people of Mexico need protection from the ATF and Obama admin as much if not more than than they do these straw buyers

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

I talked to the host of the local talk radio call-in show last night at an annual festival, and he told me that none of his news 'sources' were reporting on this scandal. He said that he would bring the topic up next week and see what kind of interest it brings. If we don't keep the heat up this will go away, just like they want.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Heh arrogance and overreaching two things that are hallmarks of the Obama administration! I am highly amused that Congress is ready to bat down the law proposed Monday. The DOJ is in no position to comment on new regulations, they are being investigated. The panic is showing. Ever wonder how much other political news is being influenced by this? Are they [Republicans] stalling on the debt due to this investigation? Could give them good [pardon this pun] ammunition against the administration!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
I am highly amused that Congress is ready to bat down the law proposed Monday.

well then start laughing your arse off cause that proposed law was already killed
www.abovetopsecret.com...
me I'm giggling like a school gal

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dillweed

If we don't keep the heat up this will go away, just like they want.

Dillweed, I'm sure you're right. Never before has it been so glaringly obvious how controlled our media is than it has been these past few years. I sit here in disgust when I think of how much 24-hour coverage we were subjected to when Clinton got a blow job from an intern. Yet our own government purposely puts thousands of firearms in the hands of drug cartels that wind up killing our own agent (with god knows how many more murders they will probably be connected to), and the media barely covers it. Why aren't reporters camped out in front of the White House shoving their mics in the faces of Obama and Holder day and night asking questions? How come there are still so many people that don't even know about this?

I want to see Eric Holder in the media looking stressed out because he's bombarded with probing questions from reporters. I want to see Obama sweating bullets and testifying under oath about what he did and didn't know. I never gave a rat's ass about the stain on Monica Lewinski's blue dress, yet we heard more about that in one week than we've heard about this deadly operation over several months.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Thanks, once again, DaddyBare, for keeping us up-to-speed on this important issue....

S & F

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Here's a question. If you live in a country where you elect your representitives, yet they still don't listen to majority opinion and do whatever they want- then are you a democracy or a facist dictatorship?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Majority opinion is mob rule, or democracy. we live in a constitutional republic, or at least we did.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
The thing is these people lose touch with what its like to be a little person. Its like being desensitized. Its a class system, and the rich are in charge. Somebody around here had a great post about the government's opinions about "common people" concerning the NWO through history. I'M NOT GETTING INTO THE NWO, but it did show the opinion of such people. "If your not smart enough to get where I got, then maybe your life isn't worth as much". Then whats good for the country as a whole becomes secondary to greed, corruption and class.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Important update, Daddy..obligatory bump.
There were many old friends in my neck of the woods conditioned gun shy:
up 'till about the time I showed them whazup with the JD op here. This debacle
is probably the straw that woke the camel back up. Many thanks for your service
and sacrifices.
I send up a regular prayer every night for no need to rally locally.

new topics

top topics

join