It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whales spread songs around like hit singles.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I think animals such as the whales and elephants are highly underestimated for the beauty and intelligence. There is nothing (imo) more beautiful then a whale song. So I find the fact that whales take songs they like and actually share them like hit singles to be fascinating.
This shows a social intelligence that hasn't been seen before. And it shows that an animal other then a human can communicate globally.
Not to mention that the article states that the male whale can sing for 24 hours.

At any one time, all the males in a population sing the same song.
But a study, published in the journal Current Biology, shows that this song changes over time and spreads around the oceans. Dr Ellen Garland, of Queensland University, said: ‘Our findings reveal cultural change on a vast scale. Songs move like cultural ripples from one population to another, causing all males to change their song to a new version.’

Swimmer-songwriters: Whales have their own tunes that spread around the world 'like hit singles'

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Awesome story! S&F Thanks for sharing. I love sea animals, dolphins and whales are my favorite, I'm pretty sure that a higher form of life would tell us that those animals are actually more intelligent than us humans.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt
knnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
tthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttttt

s&f

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

That's pretty cool, but are we sure that they aren't just passing around neighborhood gossip?

Wouldn't that pretty much destroy a scientist theory?

Whale A: “I hear there is some pretty good plankton off the coast of Japan.”

Whale B: Fool! That stuff has been genetically modified through radiation! Stick to the natural stuff!”

Whale A: Yea, OK, Whateva.”

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I doubt it has anything to do with real intelligence. It's a bit sad that people more and more overestimate animals, say they're intelligent and whatnot.
Animals AREN'T INTELLIGENT
If anything they follow their instinct. There isn't a evolution with animals like it was with us humans, we developed over time, got more intelligent, invented all kind of awesome stuff and are able to think and control our lifes.
Animals stayed the same for thousands of years, there was no change. Animals never reached higher levels, they're as stupid as they were 30.000 years ago.
Why is it so hard for some people to accept it?

The whale thing is, if anything, another proof of "monkey see, monkey do" and nothing else.
If Whales were intelligent, they would've developed and they wouldn't be on the verge of being extinct.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

There is much truth in your post.

But who is to say they aren’t intelligent? Just like humans, it is a fine line between intelligence and just being smart.

We breed faster than they do. I believe that is one of the primary reasons we aren't extinct. Not for trying though.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
I doubt it has anything to do with real intelligence. It's a bit sad that people more and more overestimate animals, say they're intelligent and whatnot.
If anything they follow their instinct. There isn't a evolution with animals like it was with us humans, we developed over time, got more intelligent, invented all kind of awesome stuff and are able to think and control our lifes.
Animals stayed the same for thousands of years, there was no change. Animals never reached higher levels, they're as stupid as they were 30.000 years ago.

The whale thing is, if anything, another proof of "monkey see, monkey do" and nothing else.
If Whales were intelligent, they would've developed and they wouldn't be on the verge of being extinct.

Look where our intelligence has gotten us. We believe we are intelligent yet we trash the enviroment around us, we believe we are intelligent but yet we rely on nuclear power that destroys all living things just so we can have lights and TVs, our intelligence says we are free in a free world yet in reality we are just rats in a cage, our intelligence says we need money to have this and that of which we do not need.

Monkey get new ipad, now whole clan of monkeys have ipad 2. Does any of the monkeys really need an ipad at all? Are we really that much more intelligent or are we just that much more ornery.

BTW- Whales are going extinct because of over fishing them and pollution that all comes from us and our intelligence.
edit on 14-7-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Humans are on the verge of being extinct as well. We poison our air, water, and land. We kill each other and other animals without any regard for equilibrium with our environment. Humans have been around for a couple million years. Dophins have been around for about 20. At our current rate of consumption do you think we'll be here for another 18 million years?

Animals never reached higher levels?? Animals are born with everything they need to survive. Are Humans? The answer is yes by the way, the difference is animals figured that out a long time ago. Humans spend the vast majority of their lives trying to accumulate external things be they material items or relationships to make themselves happy. Animals are content as long as they are fed. Humans are constantly searching for more, never satisfied, lost in the past or projecting the future.

Humans build complex societies, we problem solve, we communicate, we work together to overcome obstacles that individually we could not, and we build things to make our lives easier. You think that makes us intelligent? So do Ants my friend.. The difference between us and Ants is, Ants have managed to survive for 100 million years without destroying themselves or thousands of other species.

My friend Humans aren't intelligent. We're Insane. And your post isn't doing anything to persuade me otherwise.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

There isn't an evolutionary necessity that I can see for copying a song. And music is based on math. To copy a song that is 10 to 20 minutes long is not something most animals have the capability to do. A 10-20 minute song would be quite complicated to repeat.
Just because they are not working with a computer doesn't meant they are not intelligent. Elephants can recongize the bones of a deceased relative, they can remember how to get to a waterhole 75 years later. Animals learn new abilities all the time. Of course they evolve. To say they haven't changed in 30k years is just silly and ignorant.
Currently cheetahs are changing their hunting habits and starting to become pack animals when they were solitary hunters before.
Crows can count up to 7.
Dolphins in the south have learned to herd and trap fish making them an easy target.
It is not anthromorphizing, or thinking they can talk to us like thumper in bambii, it is giving credit where credit is due. The chimpanizee baby and human baby develope exactly the same way intellectually until the age of four.
Maybe our problem is constantly underestimating them.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Great Nixie....I used to love music, until you had to bring math into the equation. Pun intended.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

*laughs* I know it takes the fun out of it but music is very much math based, as most things in the universe. Which is why so many music genisus are also math genisus.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I happen to think the reverse. Music is imagination and synchronicity. Mathematicians have a tendency to break everything down and take the fun out of it. But they are having fun doing what they do.

I don't knock mathematics, I do well in Trig, Calc and average math, but suck when it comes to Algebra. Kinda odd, I know.

But that is a tpoc for another post.

To be truthful, I think the whales are just talking....Smart?, yes. Intellegent?, no. Otherwise they would avoid ships.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I read an article in the Washington Post a couple of years ago about the evolving intelligence of urbanized deer. They are apparently breeding amongst themselves amazing problem solving skills that are letting them outwit at an astonishing rate all the barriers humans are putting up to keep them off prime grazing areas. They have been found to actually conduct surveillance on property and note when humans come and go, and choose the appropriate time to sneak in to get at gardens. If a schedule is changed, they note that as well and adjust for it. They are also getting better at breeding themselves into being better at crossing streets and avoiding becoming roadkill. They have even been observed examining fencing and working out ways to get UNDER certain fenced areas even though deer are not known for their digging prowess.

So animals do change and adjust to the challenges of their environments. You can call this instinct if you will, but as they adjust to the challenges of living in an urban or suburban environment, their adjustments look startlingly like displays of intelligence to a lot of people. I'm not here to debate you on this. You have your perceptions, others have theirs. No need to let it bug you.
edit on 14-7-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Edit sorry I replied to the wrong post.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Sorry TDawg that post above should have been to ShadowAngel's post

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

I do not doubt you whatsoever.

The other day I saw a article about a fish using tools.

A bit back further, a article on Monkeys waging war on other Monkey tribes. Evolution in progress, eh?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

There isn't a evolution with animals like it was with us humans, we developed over time, got more intelligent, invented all kind of awesome stuff and are able to think and control our lifes.

this makes absolutely NO sense!! there isn't an evolution with animals like humans? humans are animals, mamals to be exact. and all animals on this planet are a product of constant change and adaptation otherwise known as evolution.

animals are intelligent, infact scientist believe even more so with each and every study. are they as smart as us? no, but when comparing general intellect relative to brain size, they are infact very comparable.

sure animals do depend on memorizing behaviors (monkey see monkey do), but memory leads to learning which is passed from generation to generation.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Obviously, some of us humans are locked into a species-wide ego trip that knows no bounds. To think that animals might have some sort of intelligence that is different or hidden from human sight! What terrible prisons these instincts have locked them into so as to never advance into any thing higher while we humans are devoid of such trash and act rationally with clear, calculated and with volition at every turn, except for a few lingering instincts such as, sex, and other, social caring, childcare, etc. How smart we are and how dumb they are. It is surprising, isn't it, how they still survive when we are near extincting ourselves (plus our remaining instincts). Hey, perhaps we need to regain a few that we have lost. Do you suppose we can ask the whales if we learn their language?

join