It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm thinking of becoming a Freemason.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
There is a difference between having the occasional beer and having a tube installed straight from the keg to the senior deacon's chair. (as is the case in Jersey lodges apparently)

It is the Master's chair and it is certainly needed as you well know.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Good to see you around.

If you make it to the NYC area I have a bottle of Chateau Margaux with your name on it.

You tempt me sir...

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mirthful Me
You tempt me sir...

Stuff like that needs to be shared.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
I do drink. I just finished a fine bottle of Balvenie 15.

Idaho Lodges are dry, but for certain events the Grand Masters are often okay with allowing wine.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: KSigMason

Good man. You have an invite as well. I have a bottle of Balvenie 30 year you may enjoy.

Idaho Lodges are dry, but for certain events the Grand Masters are often okay with allowing wine.

I am sure Ernest and Julio are thrilled. They should let you all put your big-boy Mason pants on and have whatever you want.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: KSigMason

Dude,
It's only a bit after two in NC, it's even earlier where you are. What the hell happened to 5 O' Clock?

(just kidding, I know what you meant)
edit on 22-4-2014 by network dude because: new edit system is working as well as Augustus' liver.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: mjleonid12

I was a member of a small lodge...I wanted to be a Mason because of their reputation for charity work...I sought out a Mason and asked how I could become a Mason myself...An application was brought to my home...I had a home visit by 3 Masons...I was investigated (as much as they investigate)...Was accepted...Learned the code book...Went thru the rituals...

Came to know the best bunch of caring men I ever met...Every one was on the same footing; Mayer, barber, construction workers, City attorney, etc...No rank...No prestige...No political agendas...Everybody equal...

Good experience...

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'm thinking about this currently, but in the UK I believe I have to be invited,

Know quite a few people who are in R.A.O.B (Buffs)

And also have family in Round Tables (no idea what it is)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Enlighten3d

I believe there is recruitment in the UK, but I'm sure you don't have to be invited. In the USA, there's still a standard of no recruitment. Members have to ask to join. I'm sure there are subtle ways to get around that, but officially, no recruitment.

This day and age, membership has dropped off so much from what it used to be I'm fairly sure they'll not turn anyone away solely based upon how they end up at the door.

A lot of former lodge buildings in the US are now something else entirely. There's still some stone reminders in the edifices, but they're everything from laundromats to apartments and restaurants and offices.

Just not the interest in it that there used to be.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MrDesolate
I'm actually writing a paper on this subject using multivariate regression equations and analysis. While you are right that there is a significant drop in overall numbers, I'd argue about the number of active and younger members is shifting. My hypothesis is that the 50s gave us an unrealistic number of members then the 60s came with the counter culture revolution. The "hippy movement" rejected all things relevant with their parents and grandparents, to include Freemasonry. This gap caused the older members to retain a stronger hold the Craft and stagnation occurred.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: KSigMason

I wouldn't argue with that. There was certainly an undercurrent of anti-establishment bias in the '50s '60s (don't forget the beatniks predated the hippies). It's my guess that the renewed interest is due in some part to the increased exposure in the media. The Dan Brown books, History Channel, various >ahem< conspiracy outlets etc.

A lot of the Masonic teachings look to an outsider to mirror a lot of 'New Age' teachings which ironically are hippie-dippie in origin.

Thelemic themes run deep. All that occultish O.T.O/Masonry/Kabbalah/Illuminati stuff starts to blur when you're a neutral observer.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enlighten3d

And also have family in Round Tables (no idea what it is)

Round Table is a wonderful organization - my dad was a Round Tabler, and my family was very involved while I was growing up.

It's a charitable fraternity, where the brotherhood is second to none (perhaps even more so than Freemasonry, in my experience, except, maybe the brotherhood that exists in the Order of the Secret Monitor, of which I am also a member), and also aims to improve young men, but it doesn't have rituals in the same way that Freemasonry has.

Also, it is only for men under the age of 40. At 40, you have to leave. I was going to become one, but I had a business for 10 years that demanded all of my time, and when I finally decided to join, I was 34, and at the last minute, decided to join the Masons instead, so that I wouldn't have to leave after a short period of time.

I would highly recommend the Round Table if you are still in your 20s, and then join the Masons a bit later...

edit on 16/5/2014 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Saurus

What is the initiation process (do u need to be invited)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Enlighten3d

My advice would be to research the two organizations thoroughly (both the Round Table and Freemasonry), reflect on why you would want to join either of them, and then, if you're genuinely interested in either of the two, I could put you in touch with the right people.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It is the Master's chair and it is certainly needed as you well know.

This Wednesday, I had six apologies, and it just so happened to be the six people who were doing the floor work. For the first time in my life, I ended up doing the entire FC ritual from the chair, without any prior warning. I don't think Ive ever needed a beer so badly in my life!!!

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: getreadyalready

The problem is, in my experience, when a candidate is asked to join, the answer to the question:
"Where were you first prepared to be made a Mason?" is rarely the heartfelt truth.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Saurus

I know several masons / buffs in real life, but never really had courage to say my thoughts about it.

When im 21 toward end of this month it will be something I will decide where I'd like to go.

Thanks for the offer, and something I may take up in the future.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I am proud to say I passed my EA degree and am now studying for 2nd degree

I have never met such a great group of people before I came to Masonry and I can already tell it will be a lifetime pursuit

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
They believe in mysticism. They seek the meaning of mysteries and symbolisms that can never be resolved or have no basis in the practical world. There is no unique belief system, other than what you might find in the Abrahamic religions. They take archaic, stone-age symbology and superstition and attempt to paint it as some great lost knowledge from the elders. So, if you are into hyperstitious compulsion that leads your mind into an abyss of distraction, then I would say go for it.

edit on 17-5-2014 by Gianfar because: grammar

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Gianfar

I must say, that is the nicest put down of masonry I have seen in a while.
While there is a hint of truth in it, no, it's not like that.
We keep it very simple. Using tools to remind us to be the kind of people we aspire to be daily.
With a little charity thrown in.

I use ATS for the abyss of distraction.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join