Originally posted by DaveNorris and just so we are clear. racism is when you make an asumption about someone based souly on the color of their skin. so asuming that all white people are racist is actually a racist comment itself.
Today people often confuse racism with prejudice. The two are similar but different enough for the usage to be important. All people to a certain extent have some form of prejudice - ti is fairly natural. However, racism is worse so its the one people use to demean an opponent.
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
I am prejudice in that I become more warry around groups of young black males. I also become as warry of young white males if they are dressed in the "gangsta" manner. Prejudiced maybe, cautious for sure - racist...not.