It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Infrastructure is really bad...You would think they'd fix this..Bad Tracks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
www.liveleak.com...

These train tracks look like cooked spaghetti

I can't believe the engineer would venture over this stretch, it's only a matter of time till this causes a wreck.

Seriously gov't....build like 4 less jets a year and fix the infrastructure that holds this country together!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Wow, if a engineer is not forewarned about that area and he plows down through there at the required speed limit he's going to derail. Just think, this was just one area that needed work can you imagine how many others are this bad or worse? In the past few months reports have been released about the state of dams and bridges in this country being severely neglected now the tracks. I wonder how many train accidents in the past were due to the tracks neglect?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I have got to start this by saying this.........

The railroads have had to depend on the governments assistance to keep their property, equipment, and trackage maintained up until the late 1970s when CONRAIL was formed from the remains of the Penn Central Transportation Company, the Lehigh Valley and Reading Railroads, and the Erie Lackawanna Railroad. In fact the Consolidated Rail Corporation, CONRAIL for short, was funded in part by the Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976. This act, along with "TRAIN," Transportation by Rail for Agricultural and Industrial Needs Organization had been formed to further deregulate the railroads from government oversight. The railroads that had organized this committee had came to the realization that collective rate making had been limited unlike in years past. The "4R Act" along with the Staggers Rail Act of 1980 deregulated the government oversight of the railroads that had been in place for decades.

However, with the de-regulation of the rail industry in the 1970s due to the "4R Act" and the Staggers Rail Act. The government could no longer enforce what the railroads say or did. In fact, the only oversight that the government really has over the rail industry now are the Department of Transportation, the Surface Transportation Board, and the Federal Railroad Administration. Out of those three, only the DOT and the FRA monitor and enforce such things as preventative maintenance and procedures. What is shown in the video would be something that the FRA would usually inspect and write up if the track was not up to code pertaining to the amount of trains it sees. Even though it is overseen and inspected regularly by the Federal Railroad Administration. The maintenance and up keep of the line would solely on the responsibility of the parent corporation. In this case, it would be Kennecott Copper Mining that would have to maintain the trackage to the current standards for this type of track.

The line that this train is on is what is called a "branch line" seeing as to how it runs into a mainline away from where this train originates. This line does not see the large amount of rail traffic that a major mainline sees. Therefore, it does not require the maintenance and care that a major mainline would. If this were still a major main line operation, the violations that this line and company would receive would be astounding. I mean we could be talking fines close to if not well over several million dollars. I'll just use the following as an example that actually happened not too long ago. The Buckingham Branch, a short line railroad, in Virginia that operates over two hundred miles of former Chesapeake & Ohio/CSX Transportation trackage from Clifton Forge to Richmond and Doswell, Virginia was severely scrutinized and inspected by the FRA after they had found their trackage as to not being up to FRA standards.

On a side note............

I think I may know what that engineer and conductor were saying when they came upon that rough spot in the track. They we're saying, "Oh please not the roller coaster ride again!!!"

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

Thanks...more than i ever needed to know, but appreciated!!!

new topics

top topics

join