It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is Very Difficult to Watch/Comprehend - The Bradford Football Disaster - May 11 1985

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

The Bradford City Fire Disaster occurred on Saturday 11 May 1985 when a flash fire consumed one side of the Valley Parade football stadium in Bradford, England. The fire broke out during a football match between Bradford City (the home team) and Lincoln City, on the day that Bradford City were supposed to have celebrated their winning the Football League Third Division trophy. A total of 56 people died and more than 265 others were injured.

This is a good example of what may turn from something small, into a total horror show...

What? They Allow Wood Stands in Europe? Frick.

RIP to those that died and I hope for the sake of sport that people do not hurt or kill each other in the name of their team. If you watch untill the end, you will be very saddened.

CJ

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I couldn't watch it to the end, mainly because my breakfast is ready, but also because of the stories i have heard about this disaster. I currently live around 20 miles from the stadium and have been to Valley Parade a couple of time, it is always an emotional trip.

It is well up there with Hillsborough, Ibrox and Heysel.

It makes you glad that because of these disasters, footballing authorities now conduct strict regulations and most stadiums that hold high capacities are now concrete and all seater stadiums

My local team (Barnsley FC) still has one stand that is partially wooden, i dread to thin what would happen if that seton fire

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Sad to see some of the fans down on the field laughing and celebrating the fire while people were burning. Maybe they just didn't recognize how serious it was.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ThorsBrother

Yeah, probably a good thing you didn't watch until the end...no use upsetting a good breakfast...what in the world is going on with wooden stands? Really? Follower of the Tykes eh?

CJ
edit on 14-7-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

Very stupid fans. I bet a few were horrified when they realized what happened. Some, no. Sad.

CJ

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

You have to understand that these stadiums are over a century old where wood was commonly used, most football teams and their stadiums derive from around 1880 to 1910 and it was the common way, not like in other countries where their isn't as much history

Things have changed now, for the better, you don't need to worry about these things anymore

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

I was there that day and it was very difficult to comprehend. The fire started at the right hand side of the images I think you'll be seeing but I can't watch them again being a part of such a disaster still carries an emotional burden and it's quite upsetting to write this, this is where a few of the rowdier fans were stood and I saw some sort of flash and just presumed someone had set a flare off. Then around that area people started to get a little agitated. As the investigation stated later they considered that the accumulated rubbish under the stands had caught fire and it had spread like a 'wildfire' beneath the stands. The speed of the conflagration then had me dumbstruck. The heat and smoke overcame at least one chap in his seat and he died where he sat.
Another distressing image that sticks with me was that the stands had a small standing area at either side and to see someone walk down there half on fire and then turn to walk back into the flames leaves on with a sense of frustration and the problems inherent in survivors guilt. In all reality though it really did take a grip ever so quickly and the heat was tremendous so I still have to keep telling myself there was nothing I could do.
It was quite an awful day and a trauma that still scars me to this day.
edit on 14/7/11 by goldentorch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

I am sorry to hear you experienced this tragedy first hand. It is truly horrifying - one might think after such a fire a move to replace wooden stadiums might be underway. In recent news, FC Twenty's stadium collapsed a few weeks back killing 14 - renovations were under way...Thanks again for the personal insight; and again I'm sorry you had to see that.

CJ

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Thank you.
Also just a slight correction the 'Tykes' are Huddersfield Town so it would not be a wise move to say you support the Tykes if you're ever down the Valley, they ahem *don't get along too well* ahem.
Wooden stands in stadia are no longer allowed, in fact if the stadia are above a certain capacity they must be all seating, this being in response to the Hillsborough Stadium disaster four years later whe 96 people died and well over 400 were injured, so things are a tad safer nowadays. It is perhaps a pity that we always lock the stable door after the horse has bolted. Anyway Bradford now have superb facillities but unfortunately not a team to match them.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

Thanks for the heads up...not sure where I got that from...a dude in Colorado tries his best but sometimes all your nicknames get me mixed up! And yes, that can get a fellow in trouble! Good to see the park has been rebuilt..as a fan of the local American football here, I can sympathize regarding needing a good team for a nice stadium. Here's to another great day of life!

CJ

top topics

join