It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iowa gov : Resign. I won't resign. Let's cut your salary by 36 000$ then

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
A pretty good case of extortion by the Iowa governor.

Branstad first demands resignation and then sinks commissioner’s pay

The annual salary of Iowa’s Workers’ Compensation Commissioner was chopped by almost $36,000 this week after he refused Gov. Terry Branstad’s request that he resign.

But Gov. Terry Brandstad’s chief-of-staff Jeff Boeyink said the governor’s actions are completely within a governor’s purview and tied to his desire to appoint his own people to key positions.

However, there are purposely a handful of positions appointed by a governor and confirmed by the Senate that have terms that often carry into multiple administrations. Such positions are better sheltered from political influence, especially important in positions such as workers’ compensation claims, noted Sen. Bill Dotzler, D-Waterloo.

So... The governor wants the guy to resign to put his own guy in... even if his terms end up in 2015... The guy says no... So the governor cuts his salary by 36 000$... real nice.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I live in West Des Moines, IA.. Chet Culver the previous Governor left a very bad taste in people's mouths. Iowa very very liberal for a Midwestern state. This guy is putting people on the chopping block because people were angry enough to elect a Republican..
edit on 13-7-2011 by etombo because: additional words

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I think the Governor wants his own man in that position so he can put his back out 'falling' in his office,
and go onto a nice fat compensation payout to enjoy his life at end-of-term.

join