It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poverty is the best survival training of all

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm going to re-post this comment which I just made on another thread because simply, I'm too worn out from the feelings I put into it, at that time. Lazy?... yeah, but my creative well just went dry and yet, I think it should have been posted here, instead. Thx!

Every civilization that finds the audacity to turn its back on the very Nature which is its foundation, is doomed by the weight of its own material complexity and shallow, self-serving interests. Like an over-fertilized plant; the end will come sooner, than later. When we step away from those foundational roots to allow a wealthy, powerful and faceless elite the privilege of determining not only our own long-term fate, but even our moment-to-moment decisions; when we accord them the honor of guarding us from the threats which life itself demands, then we ourselves have already checked out.
Sanity will be re-established by those who are willing to break the rhythm of lock-step; to disengage from the path of
mechanistic destruction wrought by corruption within TPTB. From quieter vantages, we may observe the waste created by illusions of security.
It will be those who purposely drift away to the side and separate themselves from a mindless hurtling over the metaphorical "cliff", who will be left to pick up the remainders.
And if very, very lucky, to be able to REMEMBER.

...I'm keeping my own needs simple, because investing in anything other than education and skill, seems like a waste of personal resources to me, rather than an improvement. I have my spark-lighter tool from the local hardware store ($3.00) and a triple baggies-worth of lint from the dryer, for fire-making. Clean water being a necessity, perhaps investing in a company that makes portable purification systems would be a thought? www.campmor.com... Also, I'd think about putting some money aside for commodities, because social disruption hits those areas hardest, the quickest.
In all this, I don't mean to sound like I support the notion of becoming a fringe-dwelling fanatic. I just believe that giving yourself space, particularly within the mental realms to see things from all angles (thank you, ATS!) is a healthier lifestyle for me, than throwing my paycheck down dry wells.
This is a great thread and thanks to the OP!

edit on 22-7-2011 by lowundertheradar because: additional info

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
At work I'm regarded as being at bit odd - I've even been referred to as 'the Earth Mother'. In inverted comma's. Mostly as you might have gathered from previous replies because I don't waste money. I don't go away on holidays abroad nor do I own a car. We have an 'old' diesel camper thou. I cycle to work - rain, snow or the occasional sunshine. (I do live in Britain
) I grow food, make wine and preserve in many forms.

Some would say my life is boring.

On the contrary - I love my life, I'm fit (ish - maybe like the homemade vino too much), I eat what I produce, it doesn't cost me a fortune and I have a marvellous family whom I am close to and a much loved network of friends whom I party with on a regular basis. To me a good night is a group of friends playing our guitars, drums and singing and sharing what we've brought. Be it Damson vodka, gooseberry wine or homemade beer or cider.

In a monetary sense I'm poor - poverty stricken - or as I seen elsewhere - financially disadvantaged. However, in reality, I have one of the richest and most fulfilling lives I know of.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by lowundertheradar

Exactly! And very well-said. Thank you!

You illustrate the consequence which is ours to keep, and that is the thinking. Poverty makes us look for ways, without suffering too much, and then we can still utilize them after our situation improves.

I personally have found that these ways of economising time and money have actually made the situation improve much faster!

Know what I mean? Anyone who has gotten out of any kind of debt knows what we are talking about.

Sacrifice pays, and this kind puts us more in charge of our lives, able to actually build wealth. Even a nickel at a time is better than nothing.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Shelbee

Shelbee, your posting is what many Americans would consider fantastic. Here we have every ideal the American system (educationally, morally, in daily life, ethically) has to offer.

We have lost faith in our industry, government, and economy. But you would be surprised to see how emotional so many of us got when the movie "Avatar" came out. This ideal of nature and beings is what we truly yearn for, even if we do not know it, and must find out in a crowded movie theater with others doing the same.

*hug for the whole world*

Your post made me feel that same kinship, because, as I mentioned, we here in the States hold it up as the ideal life.

A lot of us will be fighting envy as we read it, and being motivated to somehow create this ourselves. Many of us are trying even as we speak, so please help us understand how this could be done.

Assume the readers are stuck in some apartment or mortgage, far from daylight, you know? Walk us through how you came to be there, if it's not too intrusive to ask?

Anyone else with a great escape story with a (currently) happy ending? Please share.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
In the last hurricane we were without power for 15 days. Looking back, the only thing I'd invest in are several pairs of good earplugs as the noise from a generator could drive one insane.

We've been stocking up on rice, beans, canned soups, honey, powdered and canned milk. And ramen, lots and lots of ramen. Our spice cabinet is full and we are in the process of learning about foraging and grow a few edible weeds. We have chickens for eggs and meat.

We are considered poor by societal standards, but never felt poor because we live modestly and have a great sense of community in which we barter services. My mom taught me how to make soup out of almost nothing and my dad is a master of make do. Those valuable lessons amaze our more materialistic friends who cannot live without the newest New! and Improved! thing. Silly, silly humans.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Littletruthseeker

Great point about the earplugs. How could one factor or even know about things like that in unless disaster strikes? Or poverty?

In my poorest times, digging into my supplies, I have had a chance to test out some of my earlier purchases and see room for improvement.

One of the best, cheap purchases I have made was to ditch the huge propane tank (for grilling) in favor of the smaller tanks (2 for $5 or so at most places) with an attachment ring to cook right on top.

If one were separated from family or support, having these little babies in your pack would be most helpful. I would pack one in each family member's pack if I had it to do again.
They are much more portable for women and young/old folks, and again, if separated, each person could still survive and make a fire.

The big tanks are heavy, and if a woman, for instance, lost her man, she may be forced to leave behind a heavy, valuable tank.

Kudos to your mom and dad for raising a survivor!

edit on 31-7-2011 by Copperflower because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2011 by Copperflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

I care very little for luxuries other than my basic needs. I am finding that clutter is abhorrent to me at this point. What I seek is a simple life, a well, good soil, a stream of water and the ability to can goods. There is so much I feel I must learn if there is a hope of survival. Unfortunately I have lived in the concrete jungle for most of my life and as a result have become deficient in the ways to true natural living.

Oddly, I work with the most impoverished people but I don't see them surviving. In fact, I see them perishing as a result of a life style that has separated them from any functionality or ability to become resourceful. They have found a way to survive within the very heart of the concrete jungle. That is very different from true survival in the natural realm.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

Of course I don't mind.

My life restarted after I went through an incredibly messy divorce (20 yrs ago). To be completely candid, I was accused of nothing short of Witchcraft. *rolls eyes* My two girls (very very young at the time) and I was left with a huge mortgage, little if any income and huge yawning gap where debt and income met.

I was lucky - I had two huge resources - my mum and dad and a close network of friends. I applied all the knowledge my parents gave me, from how to bake bread and make a chicken last a few meals to tips on which herbs were the most useful and how to brew beer. My close friends reinforced in me why its key to have a good network of people you can trust. How to reclaim your identity and trust your own decisions.

I learned how to live within my means and provide a loving fun enviroment for me and the girls. We were doubly lucky when my partner came into the equation. He has added his own unique skills to our own and encouraged me to take up the bow.

Today, I live in house that is my own, I have two grown girls that value family and friends above all else and who can bake with the best of them and a very happy home life that beggars belief.

Its not been all roses though, I lost my father 5 years ago, whom I quite simply adored, he was my rock. And I lost my best friend at 40 almost a year ago to the day. May she dance and sing with the Gods. It still hurts.

But we move on.

If I've learned anything in my life is that we adapt.

XX Shel

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Wow, Shel, that is what brought all this kind of thinking about in me, too.

Divorce and the attendant poverty, lol. Brings out the best in some, the worst in others.

If anyone sees this last posting, storage is on my mind. Mainly ditching plastic and getting back to more ancient methods.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I love this thread,s+f for you.Ive often said to the hubby,if the SHTF,at least we are a few steps ahead of the game,as we are aready used to living without luxuries,are used to battling and know how to get the most out of the least resources..No food ever goes to waste in my house,i freeze leftovers.If the leftovers are small amounts,i use 2 containers,1 for vegetables and 1 for anything meat-related.These get cooked up with maize meal once/twice a week,to feed our dogs,which saves on dogfood.Maize meal is a blessing that comes with living in Africa,simple,super-cheap and extremely filling-add a sauce of tomato+onion(+if you want/have other veggies too) and its delish.....We have cookware here called a "potjie",a black iron pot, to be used on a fire outside-you can used the cheapest meatcuts like chuck,add some veggies and you'll have a nutritious comparatively cheap and delicious meal.The "potjie" slowcooks even the toughest meat to tender....i love candlelight+don't watch TV,so if was'nt for the Net,i would never even miss electricity (we use gas to cook anyway,and also have a basic brick-built outside oven)..but if the SHTF in an EMP way,there's still books (which we get dirt-cheap from our local SPCA charity shop).We all love to read,even my 5yr old,and as long as he has some papers,scissors,glue,pen/crayons+some random odds+ends,he can entertain himself for ages through creativity.Out in the African Bush has to be one of the best places on the planet to be,and specialy if ever SHTF.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Many years ago I with a group of friends became totally self sufficient.
My situation is somewhat different now
By the end of this year I and a friend hope to be self sufficient in food
We have a commercial sized Pollytunnel we took on as derelict but is now fully growing.
We have a bore hole and have found local natural springs
Also we have planted food out in the wild
It just feels so important now to become self sufficient again
To get ahead of the game so we might be in a position to help others if the worst comes to the worst.
We often discuss what we would do in different scenarios and have mapped out routes to safe places
Seems strange in a way that 30 years ago I was part of a group of friends who got it together and now I am starting over to do the same again.
Good fortune to you all

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
the meek will inherit the earth
mainly because they don't have so far to fall

I live in a very beautiful but harsh landscape
cottage country it is called
( canadian shield )
I have worked for some very wealthy families and people
with very few exceptions:

without inherited wealth and /or the work of down to earth labourers
they would not like it here, nor could they cope
in the off seasons whene the real weather sets in
or if they had to survive on just what is here
nope

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Perfectly put.

I hated being a country girl, but I am so glad my beloved grandfather had a beef farm, huge gardens, and fields. Between the animals, the land, and the planting, harvesting, and preserving the stuff we grew, I learned a lot. So now, relearning it is much easier.

By the way, honey is one of the best substances for preserving, and I hope to find out more about using it as a preserving medium, and perhaps making up different kinds of canned items using honey and other foods inserted into it. Apparently, honey from ancient times has been found in graves, et cetera, and was still edible. I even read a legend a long time ago that Alexander the Great's head was removed and preserved in a container of honey. Probably a middle-eastern legend from a fictitious novel, but I would love to know if anyone else has any stories, lore, or information about honey as a preserving medium for fruit, or any other foods.

cass.ucsd.edu...
edit on 21-3-2012 by Copperflower because: To add link

top topics

<< 1   >>

join