It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seas 'hide ancient relics'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Ok here we go.

Surfing the interewebs I found this recent little jewel posted. This is a rather interesting article. Here is more evidence of the oceans reclaiming once dry land, submerging it and obscuring details of a mysterious past in the region. Well this is what some have been waiting for. I've often looked at the area on Google Earth. Anyone should be able to tell just how much has been reclaimed by the sea. This raises the question of how many possible submerged locations of early man are still to be discovered

I can't wait to see and hear more on this one.

Interesting to ponder.
Enjoy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e1eaa87f3052.jpg[/atsimg]
Stone Age relics may be hidden in Western Isles' seas

Submerged sites of ancient communities could be hidden in the seas around the Western Isles, according to experts. Dr Jonathan Benjamin and Dr Andrew Bicket believe the islands' long and sheltered lochs have protected 9,000-year-old Mesolithic relics. Rising sea levels may have covered up to 6.2 miles (10km) of land on the west coast of the Outer Hebrides. The archaeologists are to give a presentation in Comhairle nan Eilean Siar's council chambers on Monday.

During the Mesolithic period, also known as the Middle Stone Age, Britain was transformed from a peninsula to an island. It is thought that landslides in Norway - the Storegga Slides - triggered one of the biggest tsunamis ever recorded on Earth when a landlocked sea burst its banks. The water struck the north-east of Britain with such force it travelled 25 miles (40km) inland, turning low-lying plains into what is now the North Sea, and marshlands to the south into the Channel.

edit on 13-7-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I didn't know about the Tsunami info but I did know the British Isles are steadily tilting each year so that a little more is taken over by the ocean. It's been so long since I read about it that I have no idea where I saw it. Sorry mate.

Must say off topic, I'm enjoying your threads more and more these days

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Well thank you.
The feedback is appreciated.

The more we explore the more the past is slowly coming to light. If you've read some of my other older stuff you know I believe there to be lost sunken culture/civilizations along those now submerged lost ice age coast lines spread all around the globe.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Interesting article on the topic...

The moment Britain became an island

Ancient Britain was a peninsula until a tsunami flooded its land-links to Europe some 8,000 years ago. Did that wave help shape the national character?

The coastline and landscape of what would become modern Britain began to emerge at the end of the last Ice Age around 10,000 years ago.

What had been a cold, dry tundra on the north-western edge of Europe grew warmer and wetter as the ice caps melted. The Irish Sea, North Sea and the Channel were all dry land, albeit land slowly being submerged as sea levels rose.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Huh and here I was getting my interest piqued on that tsunami and you dig up a article! That sounds like one heck of a natural disaster. Modern man is due a reminder from mother nature that she still is beyond our control or even ability to predict. And we get worked up over the rather mild [by comparison] events we deal with.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Earth "changes' sometime happen very slowly while others happen in a blink of an eye.
To think, we build permanent cities all along the coasts around the world.

edit on 14-7-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

you get worked up because MSM tells you to.

even if you don't watch MSM, you are in a culture controlled by it. So whatever is on the minds of the Gatekeepers is on the minds of the culture. Thus: you, to at least some degree.

I say screw it. Que sera, sera. I control what i can, hope for the best, and die knowing i lived with honor.
Its all i can do.

Great thread, again, Slayer. It is nice when i can catch them still in MyATS or something.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Very interesting article, the majority of the seas and oceans in this world are a highly neglected exploration area. No one really knows what lay's among the depths of their entirety. I hope that in the future we can develop better technology to improve that. Heck there are even countless ship wrecks upon it's floor that have yet to be discovered after they sank.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

It's just a matter of time IMO. It seems like every other week they are finding yet "Another Submerged" location somewhere in the world which reveals a tad bit more about our collective lost past.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Maybe it is a conspiracy perpetrated by the oceans of the World and some unknown party. But seriously, I would expect this to be true in any region where sea levels have risen since pre-history, or later. Coastal regions usually allow for great seafood, and that is partly why many native Indian cultures lived along the oceans in the US. Probability would make me think that if there were X amounts of higher civilizations, then a certain number of them would likely be on the coast, in a region that has been covered by seawater over the vast amounts of time that have occurred since the building and occupation of those places.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Gday again slayer.

Another interesting read mate.
I do agree that there is alot waiting to be discovered about lost cities and civilisations under the ocean.
And I do believe that could have been a tsunami type event that separated Britain from Europe in the past.
But the rest of the story, well,,,,,,,,,,,,, it is Total SPECULATION on the archaeologist behalf.
I fail to grasp where the archaeologist gets his ideas, that England, as we know it today, was started by a tribe of 5000 hunting mammoth and reindeer that he assumes must have been cut off from the rest of Europe from said tsunami.
And i also fail to see where and how these Chess pieces come into play in this as well ( pun not intended).
I'm a meathed , so can you help me out on this one

S&F again.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Speculation and some tantalizing evidence in the form of stone age tools associated with hunting. There had to be something to draw them to that location. During the period, it wasn't exactly the most hospitable place to live.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
S & F

Another interesting and thought-provoking historical thread.

Keep them coming!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Now your just making some of us (me) look lazy

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Again, I appreciate you. Such good work.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

Thanks

I'll just keep chipping away at it while using the latest released articles and findings in it's support.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by meathed

Speculation

Ahh speculation, it seems that its the archaeologists forte these day's.
As why do they need evidence when we have good old speculation.

some tantalizing evidence in the form of stone age tools associated with hunting.

Yeah but that could be anything that someone had dropped on their journey.
Has anything been carbon dated to confirm these finds ?

There had to be something to draw them to that location.

Yes agreed, but to say it was the hunting of mammoth and reindeer that drove then to this then is purley speculation on yours and the archeaologist behalf. There is no proof of this.

During the period, it wasn't exactly the most hospitable place to live.

I dont doubt that it was a hospitable place to live. However I do doubt this archaeologists findings. And i still fail to see how this story with a tsunami and 5000 mammoth and reindeer hunters created england.

edit on 14-7-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Well I'm always open minded when discussing such cases.

You've told us what you disagree with, how about sharing with us what your thoughts are on how they got there?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
North Sea fishermen regularly trawl up mammoth bones and other fossils/artifacts.

I believe the biggest mammoth bones on display in the UK were discovered this way.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nolabel

That always seems to be over looked by some.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

The Outer Hebrides are pretty north. For the Ice Caps to recede that far wouldn't the islands flood straight away? Obviously the evidence of human habitation is there, but would there be enough water locked up in the ice to make the shoreline that much lower?

Glacier melt, Crust shift, Earth topple? I must admit I do not know.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join