It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop who threatened to pistol whip city leaders over budget cuts gets his job back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Well that's nice... It's comforting to know such good people have badges and guns...

Fired Portland Police Officer Gets His Job Back

One of the Portland officers who were fired for threatening to pistol whip city leaders has gotten his job back.

An audio recording was secretly made during a meeting with patrol officers in 2010.They were upset with council over proposed job cuts and hikes in insurance rates.

While the mayor said he understands this was a military tactic to motivate workers, he reminds them this is not the military it is Portland Police Department that deserves the public's trust.

Lt. McLerran will also face a demotion in rank and pay and must attend anger management sessions when he returns to the police force.

At least... but still, he shouldn't have been re-hired.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Most non violent people do not seek to be a police officer. It takes a person that is naturally aggressive to really want to do that job. However, some know how to control their aggression and not pistol whip or threaten to pistol whip law abiding citizens. If they cannot control their mouth or actions they do not deserve to have that authority. There are mistakes, and certainly people could get carried away when out of hearing distance of others in whom the threat was intended. Let's just hope anger management classes are enough warning and help for the guy.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Ha, that'll teach them to take away my money xD

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
What did this guy do wrong exactly? To me it sounds like the officers were talking about the budget cuts while someone was recording them. I don't blame them for venting there anger we all do that its not like they acted on it. But the news article isn't to clear if they said these remarks in front of the council or if this was a private discussion between colleagues? If you have had a kid you can't tell me you've never muttered anything under your breath when they get you riled up.Cops are humans you know...
I wish people would stop jumping on the cop hating bandwagon. Discussion is needed not anger and ignorance.
edit on 13-7-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
What did this guy do wrong exactly? To me it sounds like the officers were talking about the budget cuts while someone was recording them. I don't blame them for venting there anger we all do that its not like they acted on it. But the news article isn't to clear if they said these remarks in front of the council or if this was a private discussion between colleagues? If you have had a kid you can't tell me you've never muttered anything under your breath when they get you riled up.Cops are humans you know...
I wish people would stop jumping on the cop hating bandwagon. Discussion is needed not anger and ignorance.
edit on 13-7-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

"We'll show' em how to do that when we walk up and start pistol whipping (expletive)," Heckart said. I can promise you, in three years, you'll see 30 (expletive) patrol officers, and you'll see a city that's scared (expletive) to (expletive) with police," - Sgt. Heckart (one of the two fired, who DIDN'T get his job back.)
- SOURCE

Yeah, I want this guy on the streets with a gun protecting me.

I think they should have both been jailed for communicating threats, after all that's what would happen to a citizen who didn't have a badge. I say they got off easy.

S&F4UOP
edit on 7/13/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Sorry i should of been more clear i meant the other officer the one who got hired , not the one that didn't.

On the tape recording Lieutenant McLerran appeared just to tell officers to try and make change through the system. "I encourage everybody's family and wives or somebody to show up to these council meetings for the next six months," said McLerran on the tape.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
reply to post by OldCorp

Sorry i should of been more clear i meant the other officer the one who got hired , not the one that didn't.

On the tape recording Lieutenant McLerran appeared just to tell officers to try and make change through the system. "I encourage everybody's family and wives or somebody to show up to these council meetings for the next six months," said McLerran on the tape.

I agree that McLerran's actions weren't as bad, still he was in charge of the meeting and failed to report the other officer's comments. Again, a normal citizen would be charged as an accessory for failing to report a crime about which he had knowledge. But in light of his plea for calm debate, perhaps a reduction in rank is appropriate after all.

Still I'm glad the other officer got the boot. He has no business enforcing the law.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Did you ever see the movie National Security with Martin Lawrence?

Watch the scene where Steve Zahn and Martin Lawrence get a ride from the nice lady in the red car......Steve and Martin are talking about corrupt police and the nice lady says...

If you are looking for a dirty cop, pick up the phone and call the police station, doesn't really matter who answers.....Isn't it the truth???

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

"We'll show' em how to do that when we walk up and start pistol whipping (expletive)," Heckart said. I can promise you, in three years, you'll see 30 (expletive) patrol officers, and you'll see a city that's scared (expletive) to (expletive) with police,"

You know what is so scarey about that little speech? You could change "patrol officers" and "police" in to "Crips", "Bloods", or any other street gang name and it would be believable. Its the same type of gang mentality that many street gangs have.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
reply to post by OldCorp

"We'll show' em how to do that when we walk up and start pistol whipping (expletive)," Heckart said. I can promise you, in three years, you'll see 30 (expletive) patrol officers, and you'll see a city that's scared (expletive) to (expletive) with police,"

You know what is so scarey about that little speech? You could change "patrol officers" and "police" in to "Crips", "Bloods", or any other street gang name and it would be believable. Its the same type of gang mentality that many street gangs have.

Gang mentality is right. I hope that the one officer who recorded the meeting and outed the rogue cops will get kudos somehow - privately. Cops don't like "snitches" any more than OC/Gangs do.

top topics

join