It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Some Advice From Guitarists!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

i picked up guitar back when i was 38. left handed but play it right hand, stubby fat fingers, I'm a mental furball, but I purchased and used a CD from eMedia and learned how to play watching the lessons on my puter. It was cheaper than one-on-one lessons, it never loses patience, and there are built-in tuner and many more features. I can't recommend eMedia enough. I'm thinking of buying their violin course next. Practicing At Least 1 hour a day, I became surprisingly competent in under 1 year, I could play a slew of songs correctly, and I could put some stank on 'em.

You can find songs on line that are in Tab (tablature) which is e-z for those who don't yet know how to read sheet music. There are also monthly magazines which include sheet music. You will find you can play an amazing amount of songs knowing a handful of basic chords like E, F, C and G.

Pick out some basic songs you like and practice practice practice.

If your strings are old, replace them. Don't be cheap, good strings make a difference.

My elder brother is a professional keyboard man in Nashville TN. Dave also teaches guitar. Years ago he told me, the single most important thing he could tell a student:

SLOW IS FAST

Practice slow. Take your time. Don't try to be Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix or Frank Zappa. SLOW IS FAST. When you practice slow, you progress more fast. Because you are taking your time and learning correctly.

Most important thing I can tell you: TUNE THE DARN GUITAR. There is no excuse for being out of tune, and you risk a passing-by musician coming in and going El Kabong on you!

Have fun and in a short time you're going to be quite pleased with your progress

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

What I usually try to drill into peoples heads is the beginning is the hardest part. It feels awkward. Some chords feel near impossible. Individual melody notes sound kind of choppy and not right. It seems as though one is never going to feel comfortable with it. BUT... that's just in the beginning. It's like that first little bump you have to get over, and most people quit before getting over it. But it's a short bump and after you have passed it, everything becomes easier. It's more fun to practice, no longer seems like a chore. It starts sounding better. Pretty soon, it's so natural that you can't pick up a guitar without your fingers naturally falling into place. There are a million ways to learn, and no way is right. Just keep doing it, it will get easier, more fun, better, etc...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Here is a musical video list of songs,
in the simplistic form,that I can play.

Oasis,Wonderwall

Bob Marley, Redemption Song

America,Horse With No Name

Pink Floyd,Wish You Were Here

And a few more.

edit on 13-7-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

Thanks to you and all for the inspiration!
I have always longed to play guitar,
just never had the time or patience.
But now I do at 46 years old.
Thank you.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Barre chords first, scales second...get a metronome for timing. Start at a slow tempo, Move up the neck with the barre chords, then back down. a fret for each beat of the metronome. 5-10 mins. Scales, same technique, one note each beat, Major first, minor second, pentatonic. Practice practice....Increase the tempo as you get more comfortable around the guitar neck.

As you progress...Three chord rock and roll...again start at a slow tempo...work to faster tempo.....If all else fails...pay for some lessons.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE....And have fun with it, it'll come to you.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Learn to play songs you enjoy singing to, then learn the little licks and solos.
It's more satisfying to play songs than it is to practice.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Learn to play songs you enjoy singing to, then learn the little licks and solos.
It's more satisfying to play songs than it is to practice.

Thanks,man
I will do as it is more satisfying.
I love my music.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
If you really want to learn more, buy some of the "Guitar Grimoire" series.

They have about the most complete and comprehensive collection I've encountered.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Bought a bunch of new strings for my guitars,starting off with light
then medium to toughing up my fingers.
Working the scales.
Really looking forward to jamming in a few months!
Practice,Practice,Practice!
Thanks,peeps!
I will take all advice given with an open heart and mind.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God
One of my best friends Doug Marks has probably taught more people to play guitar than anyone.
Metal Method

Loved his Led Zeppelin Lesson. Still have the tape somewhere, but I don't see it at the website.

Rock and Roll!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
How I taught myself to play the guitar:

1: TAB BOOKS OF MY FAVE BANDS: Learning your favourite songs is key to learning the guitar, not only quickly, but in a way that's enjoyable.
2: MIXING UP THE STYLES: It is my belief that in the early stages of playing guitar, your future ability and all around style, will mainly come from the first influences you incorporate very early on in the learning process. For example, learning songs that are just barre chords like Nirvana, will probably not shape you into a guitarist like Van Halen. However, learning something like Metalica's Black Album, and as well as Nirvana's Nevermind, will give you a mix of styles, and the ability to, if it's something you want to do, write songs or compose guitar solos that aren't just from one genre. Which will also, over time, shape your own personal style that is yours, and yours alone.
3: BEING ABLE TO PROGRESS: In turn, hopefully, later on in the learning process, you won't get that feeling of not being able to get to that next level. I've seen people learn songs that are just open chords, and then 10 years later are still doing the same thing, wondering why they haven't progressed. So it's important to know that these early stages of learning the guitar are very important. Make sure you challenge yourself, and keep those genres and styles varied. I have also found, when it comes to the guitar, there is always something new to learn. Even the best Guitarists say they're still learning new things about the guitar, even when most would view them as someone who has managed to "master" it. Which comes to the most important thing that shaped me as a Songwriter and a Guitarist..
4: LEARNING FROM OTHERS ON "YOUR" LEVEL.. & JAMMING!!: I've found that not only learning from other Guitarists important, but to "bounce" of them. Especially when you're with someone who is of the same ability, because there's that sense of sharing these new things you've discovered about the guitar, and that level of excitement and joy that you wouldn't get from someone that is many levels above you. It's this that spurned me on the most. The very thing that made me want to exceed and to be better. Where I'd learn something new and show it to all my friends, and then in turn, they'd do the same, and we'd "bounce" of each other. Which made me learn a lot faster. I think it's very important to try and immerse yourself in the world of like minded people. It is both inspiring, and encouraging, and for me, the most important ingredient.
5: SHARING YOUR WORK: Did I read you were writing songs, too? Well as a fellow Songwriter, I found that sharing the songs I wrote, and getting feedback and constructive criticism, VERY important. There are of course many ways to do this now. Even on here. If it's in the early stages, it is probably best to get feedback from those around you. Simply because, the internet can be very unforgiving, and anyone giving you an ultra OTT negative response, could quite easily put you off for life. I remember having a few negative comments from people I knew, in the early days; at first, negative comments would really knock me for six, but after a while that just made me want to be better. I'm now recording my first album, and have a lot of exciting things coming up. So remember, all criticism usually hurts like hell, but try to use it to your advantage. It'll make you better.

***members on here, I'm sure, would have a listen to your stuff***

Anyways, I hope that helps you somewhat. I read the other comments, and they had some really good simple advice. What I wrote above is just what worked for me. If you do decide to share any videos of covers, or original songs, then please feel free to share them with me. I've added you on my friends list, too. See you around ATS and beyond...

I really enjoy other people's songs, and so if any ATS members have, or is going to share their music.. please message me, as I'd love to give it a listen. I am planning to share my new stuff through ATS.. soon!!
Ttyl..

RANDOM

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by HardyWhite
If you really want to learn more, buy some of the "Guitar Grimoire" series.

They have about the most complete and comprehensive collection I've encountered.

HW, what format does GG come in? Beside my using eMedia in my PC, long ago I also used some of the Warner Bros how-to's on VHS. They were really good; I mostly recall the one on Surf Guitar.

Please feel free to message me if you see this & care to reply. i thank you

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CorneliusRandom

Thanks for the advice!
Good luck with the album.
My fingers are sore,and I'm loving it.
My 9 year old son had a friend come over who could play guitar
pretty good,which made me feel a little bad,
buts thats ok.
I'm learning,I'm trying,I'm feeling the groove!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

The format is... Paperback! hahahah.. Anyways, I have found the scales and modes book in pdf form... but none of the others.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Learn your scales, and which scales easily merge into one another....

And learn bar cords... They are the bain of my musical talent

GL

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join