It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's always one idiot that tries to escape from a prison camp!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wirehead

Yes, that was the point of your thread, and you've explained why you think that. I happen to disagree.

By all means, go into detail about all the benefits that have arisen since wikileaks, and since "hacktivism" began.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Fixed it, my apologies.

Okay, I've had a chance to look at this source. I won't dismiss it offhand, but you realize it's coming from a disgruntled former employee. How do you know that he isn't the disinfo agent being bought off by the government? It certainly benefits the US government to find and payoff someone like this. Discredit wikileaks, discredit the source, and you've put out the wildfire before it began.

On the other hand, what evidence does he offer? What proof? Any single shred of evidence? And what was his involvement with WikiLeaks exactly? He apparently registered their DNS. Not exactly ground-shaking stuff.

Regardless of what he says, the information so far released by WikiLeaks is unarguably valuable.

Edit: Plus he apparently runs cryptome.org, giving him ample reason to be upset that wikileaks is stealing his show
edit on 14-7-2011 by wirehead because: edit made explicit in above post

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Refer back to this post.

Edit: And "hacktivism" is not some special activity that has only recently begun on a lark. It is the spirit behind hacking itself, it is what hacking is all about. It is as old as the computer, as old as phone networks. It's about empowering the individual.

Every last scrap of solid evidence that we have about the abuses of the powers that be is power in our hands. It erodes the edifice of their authority. The documents leaked so far are but the tip of the iceberg, and they singlehandedly put to shame the entire media complex. U jelly?
edit on 14-7-2011 by wirehead because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-7-2011 by wirehead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by wirehead

Fixed it, my apologies.

Okay, I've had a chance to look at this source. I won't dismiss it offhand, but you realize it's coming from a disgruntled former employee. How do you know that he isn't the disinfo agent being bought off by the government? It certainly benefits the US government to find and payoff someone like this. Discredit wikileaks, discredit the source, and you've put out the wildfire before it began.

On the other hand, what evidence does he offer? What proof? Any single shred of evidence? And what was his involvement with WikiLeaks exactly? He apparently registered their DNS. Not exactly ground-shaking stuff.

Regardless of what he says, the information so far released by WikiLeaks is unarguably valuable.

Edit: Plus he apparently runs cryptome.org, giving him ample reason to be upset that wikileaks is stealing his show
edit on 14-7-2011 by wirehead because: edit made explicit in above post

You can read this thread.

You can read the NDA here.

Article here.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

It's about empowering the individual.

They are a real empowered bunch, until they have to deal with the real world:

As "Max Vision," he was an incredibly skilled hacker and security expert who boasted that he'd never met a computer system he couldn't crack.
As "The Equalizer," he was an FBI informant, reporting on the activities of other hackers.

“Agent Steal,” a computer hacker-turned-government informant who claimed to have helped put superhacker Kevin Mitnick behind bars, is back in custody after being on the run for several weeks.

edit on 14-7-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Every last scrap of solid evidence that we have about the abuses of the powers that be is power in our hands. It erodes the edifice of their authority. The documents leaked so far are but the tip of the iceberg, and they singlehandedly put to shame the entire media complex. U jelly?

Information like this (or its equivalent) have been around since Roman times. Please explain what I am supposed to be jealous of.

If a person has been in the dark their whole life, and then one day they see the way the world operates, it doesn't mean everyone else was clueless....

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

It's about empowering the individual.

They are a real empowered bunch, until they have to deal with the real world:

As "Max Vision," he was an incredibly skilled hacker and security expert who boasted that he'd never met a computer system he couldn't crack.
As "The Equalizer," he was an FBI informant, reporting on the activities of other hackers.

“Agent Steal,” a computer hacker-turned-government informant who claimed to have helped put superhacker Kevin Mitnick behind bars, is back in custody after being on the run for several weeks.

The government has always, always infiltrated the groups that oppose it. The government is scared of hackers because they aren't under their control, so the government attempts to gain some control over the situation by infiltrating their number. Isn't that just another strike against the government and their activities? How is this a problem with hackers?

I know of a widely-respected anarchist activist leader who was influential in the 2008 anti-RNC protests, who turned out to be an FBI informant. Is this a strike against activists everywhere, anarchists as a whole? Why do you blame them for being infiltrated by the government?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Information like this (or its equivalent) have been around since Roman times. Please explain what I am supposed to be jealous of.

If a person has been in the dark their whole life, and then one day they see the way the world operates, it doesn't mean everyone else was clueless....

Actual first-hand gun camera footage is worth a thousand baseless, uncited blog posts.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I know of a widely-respected anarchist activist leader who was influential in the 2008 anti-RNC protests, who turned out to be an FBI informant. Is this a strike against activists everywhere, anarchists as a whole? Why do you blame them for being infiltrated by the government?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Do you think that without him, the protests wouldn't have happened? That surely, the public wouldn't raise hell over the RNC or WTO or anything like that, without government agents stirring it up?

How many activists do you think are government agents?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I've gone over your posts a few times now trying to decipher some cogent position. But for the life of me, I have no idea where you are going with this....

Asking semi-rhetorical questions is not adding to the discussion. If you would like to present your position then by all means...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join