It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama ‘Abruptly’ Walks From Meeting: Cantor

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Who gets hurt if raising the debt ceiling gets delayed? You might think many in the Republican demographic would not be effected till tax time next year. It would be the poor living month to month on entitlement benefits that would feel the impact of a delay immediately.

Perhaps the Obama advisers are playing on the heels of the Feds warning about what effect delaying the increase would have on the stock market? There is some wider choreography going on here or I'm hearing things.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bordon81

Nobody gets hurt if they make the cuts in the proper places! Social Security isn't going anywhere for years. There are plenty of places to cut that won't affect people at the bottom. They make the threats for greatest political impact, but if it really comes to nut-cutting time, they will minimize the impact on people as much as possible.

It is all just political ploy. The cuts are absolutely necessary. So is the closing of the tax holes. So is the debt ceiling remaining steadfast, and then being incrementally lowered year by year.

We make our stand here.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
such an attitude is expected from obama...he's like a little kid...I'm sure he's gonna go stomp around in his room and throw a temper tantrum until that coloring book on his bed looks appealing once again

He knows the only people that are remembered over many generations are the mass destroyers like Stalin, Hilter, Pol Pot, Gengis Khan and messianic saviors like George Washington, Lincoln. What Obama is doing is trying to be BOTH. He is the fireman that is setting the fires to be first on the scene to save everyone. But first he must set the fire. It is proving to be far more difficult to destroy the US than he thought.
edit on 13-7-2011 by tkwasny because: Spelling correction

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

You dont remember before Obama took over and all we heard was "global depression" ?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Bush the Republican drove us so far into debt with his wars, and he cut taxes to the rich. In order to get back to normal, we need to cut spending, both domestically and in foreign policy, AND we need to increase revenues, by way of taxes on those who would be least hurt by it, which happens to be the filthy rich.

The filthy rich don't need all that money. Heck, 5% of the people control 80% of the assets in this country. They don't need tax breaks. They need to pay up for all the money they accumulated. Let's start with the filthy bankers. Then the filthy lawyers and doctors. And then the filthy insurance people and the filthy speculators. They don't need all that money. They can't take it with them when they croak.

So quit protecting the filthy rich, you deep-pocket Republicans. Your "trickle down economics" is really just a nice way of describing how the rich urinate on the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Oh realllly now?

Is Obama cutting those puppet strings??

The last puppet who didn't like his strings and tried to become a real President, well... lets just say there is a conspiracy about his assassination.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hab22

"The filthy rich don't need all that money. Heck, 5% of the people control 80% of the assets in this country."

That is exactly why things are broke now.. The distance between the normal working person who keeps this country going and some prick CEO is just a joke.. What i really dont get is why and how they get poor people to buy into the propaganda. Yeah, let me pay that for you sir. You need a shoe shine while we are at it? Some people..

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
It is all theatre, all for show.

Politicians know that the longer they hold out, the better the deals they are likely to get from the other side. So both sides make this big show of intransigence and then at the 11th hour there is a miraculous compromised reached and business goes on more or less as normal.

In fact, I would like to go on record here and now as stating this is what will happen, I am virtually 100% certain.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

....All is well that ends well though, so let them bicker and fight. Let the cards fall where they may. In my opinion, inaction is better than anything they have done in the past. How about they all just go home and shut up. That would be a huge improvement over the failed policies that they have been responsible for the last 10 years!

Everyone is correct though. This isn't a partisan issue. Both parties are ridiculously inept.

My thoughts exactly.

But look on the bright side. The Bernanke doubled the US money supply. So that 14 Trillion is really only 7 trillion in 2008 dollars.

The Federal Reserve has also been rapidly creating money. The monetary base — meaning currency plus bank reserves — is the money-supply measure that the Fed controls most directly. That figure has more than doubled over the last two years.

IS galloping inflation around the corner?....

Let’s start with first principles. One basic lesson of economics is that prices rise when the government creates an excessive amount of money. In other words, inflation occurs when too much money is chasing too few goods.

A second lesson is that governments resort to rapid monetary growth because they face fiscal problems. When government spending exceeds tax collection, policy makers sometimes turn to their central banks, which essentially print money to cover the budget shortfall.

Those two lessons go a long way toward explaining history’s hyperinflations, like those experienced by Germany in the 1920s or by Zimbabwe recently. Is the United States about to go down this route?

....banks have been happy to hold much of that new money as excess reserves.... As the economy recovers, banks may start lending out some of their hoards of reserves. That could lead to faster growth in broader money-supply measures and, eventually, to substantial inflation.... www.nytimes.com...

As soon as a republican hits the White House watch for the banks to start pushing those reserves into the economy causing massive inflation to appear out of thin air.

It looks like a repeat of the Clinton/Bush scenario. Clinton ratified the World Trade Organization exporting jobs and passed the nasty banking laws that set up the current financial mess then Bush took the economic hit.

(No I am not defending Bush, esp after the passage of the Patriot Act and the bank/AIG bailout)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I dont doubt a deal will be made, i think the real question is who is going to end up paying for it.. The normal people like us or the guy who leases his kids new BMW's and takes 4 family vacations a year.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The filthy rich Republicans had their chance to create jobs. Bush cut taxes on the rich, and instead of creating jobs, they hoarded their money. They schemed new greedy ways to increase their wealth, usually by squashing an honest man of his wages, or putting lights out on some ma and pa business. Or starting another war which they profited from.

Their filthy lucre will only earn them a spot in hell.

But don't buy into this baloney that says they earned their money and they should keep it so that they can make America a better place. They made their millions at someone else's expense. And much of what they invest in is killing us morally, physically, mentally and spiritually. They are vipers. And shame on you Republicans for feeding the snake pit.
edit on 13-7-2011 by hab22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It's about time Obama grew some balls.

And Misoir, I agree with your post on the first page.

Republicans had 4 trillion in cuts and wouldn't take it because Obama wanted to end tax loopholes.

It's their fault...they did it. I was just on here last week blasting Obama for proposing cuts on SS and Medicare...geezus he damn near gave them everything they wanted...but yet they still wouldn't budge.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShogunAssassins
reply to post by hab22

"The filthy rich don't need all that money. Heck, 5% of the people control 80% of the assets in this country."

That is exactly why things are broke now.. The distance between the normal working person who keeps this country going and some prick CEO is just a joke.. What i really dont get is why and how they get poor people to buy into the propaganda. Yeah, let me pay that for you sir. You need a shoe shine while we are at it? Some people..

I've got to disagree. It's the "prick" CEO's that own the companies that employ the normal working person that keep this country going. It's the rich that buy the fancy houses/boats,ect that are built buy contractors and their empolyees. You raise the taxes on the rich and one of two things are going to happen, 1) the CEO cuts his losses and lays people off or 2) he raises prices to make up for the tax loss and the normal working person gets hit again in higher prices.
What you need to ask is, how many jobs has someone say on welfair created?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Originally posted by SpaDe_
It is never a noble move to end talks by abruptly walking out on either of their part, but the old saying "two wrongs don't make a right" also applies here. I have no love for Obama, but as the leader of this country he should be held to a higher standard.

edit on 7/13/2011 by SpaDe_ because: ...

Yet still no equal condemnation of the GOP fellers that did the exact same thing coming from you.
Hypocrites much?
I agree... And is this coming from the same folks that voted in THE DECIDER, twice!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
2) he raises prices to make up for the tax loss and the normal working person gets hit again in higher prices.

Raising prices just based on a higher tax is not how it works in the marketplace. Raise prices too much, you lose customers and/or business.

It's a right wing talking point to get everyone else to go along with their MO.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
There should be a media blackout discussing the day to day antics of this. This is setting up politicians for posturing more than anything else

4 trillion in cuts and still no deal? ya, I am calling shananigans...
Compromise does not mean folding completely to every single thing the other side wants for something both sides must do else nerf the economy for good...

nope...Actually, I suggest O move back from his initial cave ins, and tack on the fact that not only will loopholes be closing, but a tax increase will be coming to the top 5

Then let the effers kill the economy..find the 50% mark, post it on the website, and say that is what you offer..that is exactly half way, and the repubs can take it, or leave it and destroy the country.

If obama caves to 100% their demands, he will again send the message he has no backbone and will cave...what that means is that future partys know they can simply strongarm the left to do anything, thereby invalidating an entire political party..creating a one party system.
No, in this case, its best to let the country burn in republic, then survive in a facism.
50%, no more, and let us gasp for breath in equality
-waves flag and whatnot-

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321

Originally posted by ShogunAssassins
reply to post by hab22

I've got to disagree. It's the "prick" CEO's that own the companies that employ the normal working person that keep this country going.

Did you mean to say the indian and chinese country going with the rampant outsourcing by corporations?

Ya, I think you did.

Corporate entities have abandoned America almost a decade ago because they find paying someone 2 bucks a day and no bennies to be fantastic and rewarding.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

Republicans had 4 trillion in cuts and wouldn't take it because Obama wanted to end tax loopholes.

It's their fault...they did it. I was just on here last week blasting Obama for proposing cuts on SS and Medicare...geezus he damn near gave them everything they wanted...but yet they still wouldn't budge.

Im no obama fan but honestly the GOP have gotten under my skin with this. Im glad he walked out and said what he did it showsthat at least he is passionate about it.or its just a show.
Why does the right/left political system turn people in to such idiots at times?
edit on 13-7-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

They wont budge, because they hate america and would gladly see it flounder and fall only to cater to the very far base tea party nutjobs
Their party fractioned a couple years back into moderate reagan types, and these wild jim crowish mccarthy types...I don't know why they are trying to impress their fringe exclusively, but whatever...2012 is an election year...and a message that fringe doesn't work will be sent out.

(btw, kidding about hate america, but its frustrating to let a country sink only to save face with a minority of people. This is not a democracy...its a republic, and they need to do their job verses try to look cool to the ignorant masses whom have no clue whats going on beyond thinking we want to borrow a ton of money for golden thrones or whatever they are spinning)
edit on 13-7-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
What a man-child. Unbelievable! He didn't like the answers he was getting so he picked up his ball and headed home. A truly disgusting and childish display.

We can't keep going into debt, why don't people see this? 14.4 trillion is ENOUGH.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join