It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern TV Shows Teach Kids Fame Is No. 1 Value

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more with this article.I've noticed how much more ignorant to the world todays teens are than teens were 5-10 years ago.Middle school and high school kids nowadays have become more self-centered than ever,caring only about their social stature and their material items,and becoming less and less tolerant to those less fortunate,it sickens me..My middle school and high school years were from 2001-2007 so i expierienced things through the,ill call it the 9/11 era.It was a time were all my classmates were focused on what was going on in the world,teens were far more aware of what was important...Heres the link to the article www.livescience.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I disagree 100%.

Television shows and celebrities do not make children idolize them. WE do. If no one went to see the latest Jolie movie, if people didn't spend billions buying Jessica Simpson's clothesline, etc., these products wouldn't sell and the celebrities "value" would be perceived as much less.

Television does not exist without viewers. Celebrities don't make millions without consumers.

We as a society have allowed this to happen. We should have reigned in this ridiculous amount of money ages ago. Why is it acceptable that a pro baller makes 12 million while our own President makes 400k? Leading a team to a Superbowl versus leading 300 million plus people?

We allowed all of this and we have nobody to blame but ourselves. Our children emulate adult behavior. Starting from infants, they learn to mimic adults. Yes, they pick some of it up at school...but those are their parents fault and if they were the minority instead of the majority this thread wouldn't even need to exist IMO.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
"Parents Allow Kids to Learn From TV", should be the name of the article.

Blaming TV for kids behavior is just a silly argument now a days.

Better parenting is required.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
To address you both: both are happening.

The t.v. Influences our values, and we choose to take in the programming.

It's not an either or thing, so I think the blame should go all around.
edit on 13-7-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Not interchangeable to me. The television affects us, because we allow it to. The TV means nothing, and can't influence anyone when it's turned off. To argue one cannot live without TV would eliminate the last tens of thousands of years people lived prior to it's introduction.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by unityemissions

Not interchangeable to me. The television affects us, because we allow it to. The TV means nothing, and can't influence anyone when it's turned off. To argue one cannot live without TV would eliminate the last tens of thousands of years people lived prior to it's introduction.

It's just poor reasoning, man.

Just because you believe that you can block out the programming doesn't mean everyone else can.

Do you live in the antarctic?!

T.V.s are practically everywhere, as are advertisements which push out the same trashy views.

Whether we realize it or not, the programming goes into our subconscious and influences us.

The problem is that there is no true choice to not be influenced at this point.

We must point the finger all around to get real change.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Better parents is the name of the game. I would ask how many Disney TV shows don't have parents in them? O...yea all of them. Kids are told on TV not to listen to Mom and Dad then the bad parents just take it.

Both need a kick in the ass

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
In some ways I agree with what you say, I do believe that the youth of today are less caring of others and are a lot more self centered. This has become more apparent within the last 15 years or so in my experience as a teacher within schools. I am not saying that this applies to all youth, but a large majority of. I think the one main thing that really gets my goat is the fact that they will not listen and learn. Youth in schools today already think that they know everything and cannot be taught anything. I truly believe that the future is going to show people to be the most stupidest and idiotic there has ever been. Whenever you go on websites and see the way in which things are written down, the grammar and spelling is totally awful and just makes me cringe and very upsetting to see the way things have developed...

TV at one time was an entertainment and enjoyable to watch, but now not so much. We are bombarded every 7 or so minutes with commercials trying to sell us crap we don't need. Most TV shows seem to be about people watching other people having a life without having a life themselves. This type of TV is just mundane and not needed and is a cheaper option to TV companies. Shows of substance and effort no longer exist. Even today, when you watch some TV crime series there is no substance to them, there is no working out to do regarding the plot etc. The plots are so boring, uninspiring, mundane, unintelligent and are produced in such a way that you as a person don't even have to put any thought into the plot whatsoever, they just wash over you. In fact the commercials are probably better made and more thought has gone into them than the shows that you watch on TV.

To be truthful I hardly ever watch any TV now unless there is something I really want to watch that I know has been well put together. Normally you can tell within 5 minutes whether a TV show is going to be worth watching or not, this is normally shown by the dialogue used between characters. Personally in my house the volume is always turned down and when ads appear I either go and make a drink or pick up a book and read until the show reappears on the TV.

And as for sports personalities, pleeeeeease give me a break. How can a professional footballer in the UK's premier football league earn 120,000 pounds a week for kicking a bag of wind about and the Prime Minister only get 180,000 pounds a year for running the country. What's all that about?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
You have to realize that teenagers will do what they want despite what parents say,this is the 21st century,a time where ass-whoopings immediately result in your arrest,kids will watch t.v no matter what,if you take all the t.vs out of your home your kids will just watch it at a friends house,or see it on the internet,or hear about it in school.How can you tell your kids that nickelodeon and other kids channels are off limits without them finding a way to rebel against you? T.V does rot the brain,you cant be so quick to blame the parents.
edit on 13-7-2011 by VicDiaz89 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join