It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should parents lose custody of super-obese kids?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
link
I want to tackle this issue by first saying that they let crackheads and meth users go to counseling or through intervention to eventually place the kids back with the parents. I live in South Carolina, and I've seen this happen with my own two eyes.

The idea that the South Carolina woman in the article lost her son and has yet to get him back after about two years disgusts me. That's saying that crackheads deserve more of a chance than this woman.

So, my question is, is it right that people who actively physically abuse their kids or are junkies seem to be being given more of a fair shake by DSS than parents of an obese kid?
edit on 13-7-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
NO, but the obese chldren do need health support to help out their futures.
edit on 7/13/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

"They" should be able to take obese kids ONLY if they feed the ones that need fed in our country!!!! You can't have them both....Feed the needy and worry about the ones with nothing, stop worrying about the kids who have something and offer assistance.....If they believe they are changing things for the better even bringing this to light, they are dead wrong!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I went to the St Louis zoo last weekend, the number of fat people and their fat kids was astonishing. I personally believe that it is a form of child abuse. If you want to be a fatty-Mc-fatterson that's your business, but when you put your kid at the same risk...that's abuse, plain and simple.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
this is the downside to freedom, idiots are free to do as they please, it's very unfortunate but it is the parents fault and I blame it on the education system

that being said you can't tell people how to live or how to treat their family, I cringe every time I hear people complain about the government not stepping in yada yada yada

nature and natural selection must be able to take its course, and I think we are now seeing the results of this

**I know that sounds harsh but it's true at some point people have to be smart enough to take care of themselves/family

....so I say make it easier for people to live the life they desire (ex. healthy food, education, job/shelter) but as soon as you start telling people how to live, what to do, we lose our freedom to do as we please

at some point the human race needs to stand on its own two feet and walk on it's own otherwise what is this all for? an eternal existence at the same level of evolution ......humanity greatest gift is compassion not babysitting, there is a difference

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Stovokor

Yeah, Americans really do not understand the issues we have with obesity until they head overseas somewhere and see all the normal height/weight proportionate people. Heck, back in the mid 90's while I was in college, my girl and I spent a weekend in Vancouver BC. The whole time we kept asking ourselves , "where are all the fat people??" They were just completely under represented at that time in BC I guess (hope thats improved some you darn Canuckers!!).

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I have a novel idea. How about we just tell these well meaning idiots to stay the hell out of our lives and business and let us live with the consequences of our decisions?

This goes WAY deeper than the health of our children.

top topics

join