It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civilians ability to monitor our government agencies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Really this is just a thought and hopefully a discussion will come of it. But, does anyone believe it is actually possible for some ELITE civilian hackers ex.(kevin smiths character in Live Free or Die Hard) to actually monitor if not fight against TPTB ... does anyone know of any legitimate characters like McKinnon or the like that have actually made a huge impact ... Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
why not with normal political interest, like a responsible citizen and voter.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I do believe it essential for a fair government that the people keep tabs but I'm wonderin to what extent it is actually possible ... with all the talk of ANON/ANTISEC ... itc seems people have this idea that there are super-spy like hackers out there fighting to save the world ... i just want to know what everyones ideas are about this?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
i guess there are, like modern robin hoods. a lot of information is leaking and often lawsuits follow. the more corrupt or illigal, the more the chances it leaks.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by 42sadhu

Who are the powers that be?

Where are the powers that be?

edit on 14-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

hahah ... THE MAN

nah but really ... i mean the NSA,DOD,CIA and the like ... do you think they really are as omnipotent as theyd like us to believe?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 42sadhu

I dont because they are human, and because of that are subject to making mistakes. However, I think some people have the wrong view on how to hold these groups acountible.

It reminds me of the argument people make when it comes to the Police. I am constantly told I answer to the people, and in a sense they are 100% correct. However, from an operation, performing my duty aspect, they are not my bosses simply because they are not in my direct chain of command.

Going after the police, or in this case federal agencies, from a storm the castle doctrine, wont work. Instead people need to take up an intrest in politics and their government. They must participate in the process to elect people they feel share their same goals an ideals.

Those elected reps then in turn act on behlaf of the people.

As with my job I have officers who report to me, i report to a Sgt, who reports to a Lt, to a capt, to a major, to an ast chief and finally the chief. The Chief ansers to either the Mayor or City manager, depnding on how the government is setup.

The alphabet agencies dont weild the power, and neither does Congress or the President - The people do.

And the people will eventually figure out that they must participate in government to control the agencies.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
i definately agree with you in that aspect ... having quite a few LEO family members including my grandpa as the sherriff of the county i can definately agree that when it comes to performing the duties assigned it's best if the public stayed out of the way ... but when it gets to the point where we are being affected negatively due to the "backdoor" dealings of our officials then i think someone (if they're out there) needs to be able to shut them down or fix the problem ... and I don't mean Anonymous haha ... I think it would be a pretty good idea to have some sort of Cyber-Civilian security company that keeps tabs on illegal acts commited by those in power ... not just here but abroad as well.

top topics

join