It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biomarker for autism discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I tend to keep an eye out for new discoveries in the news with regards to diseases and mental conditions, and autism is one I tend to look out for the most. I've posted several threads regarding autism in the past and I really think we're not too far away from eliminating this condition. I don't really want this to become a, "But Einstein had autism and look at what he achieved threads", but I suppose that's pretty inevitable.

Siblings of people with autism show a similar pattern of brain activity to that seen in people with autism when looking at emotional facial expressions. Researchers at the University of Cambridge identified the reduced activity in a part of the brain associated with empathy and argue it may be a 'biomarker' for a familial risk of autism.

"The findings provide a springboard to investigate what specific genes are associated with this biomarker. The brain's response to facial emotion could be a fundamental building block in causing autism and its associated difficulties."

Previous research has found that people with autism often struggle to read people's emotions and that their brains process emotional facial expressions differently to people without autism. However, this is the first time scientists have found siblings of individuals with autism have a similar reduction in brain activity when viewing others' emotions.

In one of the largest functional MRI (fMRI) studies of autism ever conducted, the researchers studied 40 families who had both a teenager with autism and a sibling without autism. Additionally, they recruited 40 teenagers with no family history of autism. The 120 participants were given fMRI scans while viewing a series of photographs of faces which were either neutral or expressing an emotion such as happiness. By comparing the brain's activity when viewing a happy verses a neutral face, the scientists were able to observe the areas within the brain that respond to this emotion

Despite the fact that the siblings of those with autism did not have a diagnosis of autism or Asperger syndrome, they had decreased activity in various areas of the brain (including those associated with empathy, understanding others' emotions and processing information from faces) compared to those with no family history of autism. The scans of those with autism revealed that the same areas of the brain as their siblings were also underactive, but to a greater degree.

Biomarker for autism discovered

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ow, so they have finally discovered that people are …. Different…. OMG!!!!!

Either because of genetics, or upbringing….. OMG what are we to do!!!!!

Quickly, lets medicate everyone so that we are all mind numbed robots walking in perfect harmony!!!!!!!!!! YES YES YES!!!!!!!!

It isn’t a defect people! It’s genetic diversity. It’s what guarantees the survival of the race! We should celebrate such diversity.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Well, obviously you don't know much on the subject of autism or brain disorders, because autism actually changes the molecular structure of the brain

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
What right do you, or they have to delineate what is considered “normal” and “healthy”?

Just because someone thinks in a different way than you, doesn’t mean that their brain (or your's) is less “healthy” It’s different. Nothing more nothing less.

Same as a black person’s skin is dark, while my skin is white. It doesn’t mean their, or my skin is less healthy!

It reminds me of “the genetically pure breed” crap that they pushed in NAZI Germany. I though we fought a world war to get rid of that $hit?

I guess if we done it once, we can do it again.
I’m game.
Praise the lord and pass the ammo.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

Quickly, lets medicate everyone so that we are all mind numbed robots walking in perfect harmony!!!!!!!!!! YES YES YES!!!!!!!!

It isn’t a defect people! It’s genetic diversity. It’s what guarantees the survival of the race! We should celebrate such diversity.

So does that go for diabetes as well?
Or is it just the abnormalities that you say so?
What about M.S. or downs syndrome?
What about cancer?
If someone is born with their heart on the outside of their body I suppose that is someone who is just...."different" and we should leave him alone?

Seriously???
Where do you make the cut off?
And what gives YOU the right to make the cut off?

This is just critical thinking here people.
Use your brain and listen to the words coming out of your mouth before you speak.
Follow your logic through to its conclusion.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

What right do you, or they have to delineate what is considered “normal” and “healthy”?

It's called common sense, fool!

Just because someone thinks in a different way than you, doesn’t mean that their brain (or your's) is less “healthy” It’s different. Nothing more nothing less.

Nobody is saying that people can't think differently. They're saying that once a certain amount of pathology is reached, it must be addressed for the betterment of the individual and the community at large. Again, common sense is needed to understand this...

Same as a black person’s skin is dark, while my skin is white. It doesn’t mean their, or my skin is less healthy!

It reminds me of “the genetically pure breed” crap that they pushed in NAZI Germany. I though we fought a world war to get rid of that $hit?

I have no words for this nonsense....

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Hmmm..... "different" isn't always a good thing. I have a couple of friends who each work with autistic kids. I've heard the horror stories. While there are many autistic kids who can handle themselves quite well, are intelligent and caring, there are also those who are severely violent, out of control and very difficult to deal with. Some autistic people are unable to function normally in society, and must have constant supervision and care in order to survive. It can be very debilitating in a lot of ways. This isn't ADHD, this is a serious problem.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to poster by 2manyquestions

Correct.

Many asperger's and hfa are able to get by without much issues, but many other autistics are obviously Not in this category.

I'm thought to be on the spectrum, and have seen first hand what happens when the pathology reaches a certain threshold.

One of my friends was autistic and was a pathological liar, thief, etc...she was by far the most destructive individual I've ever met, and if I had the authority to do so, I would end her life, as she caused much, much, much more suffering than good.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

It's definitely a serious problem. Can't wait until they finally figure out how to cure it before it has a chance to take hold. I'm not sure if the rise of autism is due to better methods of identifying it, or that it is becoming more frequent due to environmental factors.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

In my assessment it's multifactorial, however it seems highly probable that various changes to the environment have caused the spike in the last generation.

Just think of all the changes that have come about since the 70's, like HFCS, aspartame, various pathogens such as "superbugs", GM foods, self organizing nano fiberous materials, electromagnetic pollution rampant, etc, etc...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
This isn't ADHD, this is a serious problem.

Um…… You need to do a little more research.
ADHD is starting to come under the umbrella of “autism spectrum disorders”

Some researchers have shown a possible genetic and behavioral connection between ADHD and autism. As a result of this, some clinicians have suggested that ADHD be included under the category of autism spectrum disorders.

They are one in the same.

Just different subsets of the same base genetic variation.

Originally posted by unityemissions
Nobody is saying that people can't think differently. They're saying that once a certain amount of pathology is reached, it must be addressed for the betterment of the individual and the community at large. Again, common sense is needed to understand this...

It is one thing to call something that is a one in a million occurrence, or even a one in a thousand occurrence a “defect.

But…… when you start classifying a sizeable portion of the population as “defective” Then the only people that are “defective” are the ones making that classification.

www.heraldsun.com.au...

www.ncregister.com...

www.axiomatica.org...

drscoundrels.com...

arsvivendiblog.com...

Read a little history! Millions have died from this type of $hit for countless generations.

When a large percentage of the population starts to have a problem coexisting with society, maybe it isn’t them. Maybe it’s the organizations that are in charge of teaching them. Maybe they can’t handle people that think “outside the box” anymore. Instead of correcting the schools and education system to make it better geared to teach people think in a different way than you think, so they won’t have that much of a problem.

They never seemed to have any problem living in society for the last thousand years, but now “they are defective”?

No, it’s not them. It’s the system.

The people haven’t changed. Society has changed and has become less tolerant of people that don’t tow the line.

A system that has become too lock step and narrow minded to even be able to teach someone that doesn’t think exactly like the people in charge.

What is going to happen if that portion of the population doesn’t want to be “fixed”?
Is the Gestapo going to make them disappear?

I have been around long enough to know where this crap goes, and I ain’t got time for it.You say it’s common sense… If it is common sense, then I will stick with my little defective brain and it’s nonsensical thoughts because that is common sense that I don’t want.

Good day little Hitlers, have fun with your little eugenics crap. Hopefully WW3 put an end to this crap for good, may your “master race” get blown to hell!

edit on 13-7-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

You're out of your mind, and the reasoning you present is pathetic.

I'm on the spectrum, fool.

Not trying to eliminate everyone who's autistic.

Think!

new topics

top topics

join