It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Japan and Fukishima be remembered more fondly in 20 years?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I have to ask this question because it seems after the initial event and news story that Japan and all the problems they are still faced with have been all but forgotten.

It is sad to see because i fear the day something like that ever happens to my area or locality. That in the first couple of weeks there is complete world attention and then after that it is like forget it... seeya laterz!

It disgust's me because the news itself is an illusion and another way to harness network ratings and at the same time they could not give a crap about what is really happening in the world and sh.....t people have to deal with and go through.

So anyway - i wanted to post part3/9 of a doco i watched last year and this particular part has to do with Chenoybl and the state that area of land is still in after 20 years.

So in 20 years what will be the sitiuation around the Fukushima plant, especially with reports that more rdiation was leaked than in the Ukraine....

Do we just forget about the people that have becaome homeless because of this, will they be properly compensated or just forgotten about?

Fukushima nuclear power plant update: get all the data

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0edbceb69ae.jpg[/atsimg]

Last month The World Bank estimated the cost of the nuclear crisis at $235bn (£144bn) - making it one of the world's most expensive disasters.

The operators of the plant, Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), announced record losses of 1.25 trillion yen (£9.5bn) as they struggle with the nuclear crisis still present. Tepco also announced last month that there is data that would indicate that during the immediate aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami, the fuel rods in three of the reactors had melted.

Although it may be some time after the radiation levels at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant rose: the severity level changed from five to seven - the same level as Chernobyl in 1986, the Fukushima plant is still being focused on as more information and images appear.

Full Article - Guardian.co.uk

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Not sure how "fondly" it will be remembered-I guess that depends upon how well the clean up efforts go.
Hopefully better than they are going so far.
That Life after people docu is very good,I saw on TV a while back.
Very thought provoking.
You may be interested in another documentary I recently watched"Nuclear Eternity"or "Into Eternity"as its also known.
www.imdb.com...

Its a fascinating look at what future humans will have do deal with regarding nuclear waste that we now bury in bunkers all over the world.
It speculates on what a future human society would do if they found such a waste dump thousands of years in the future,maybe after a breakdown of civilisation,and the loss of old languages/symbols, people might regard nuclear waste as some mystical power,and even start a new religion based upon such waste dumps.
Or of course,turn it into new weapons once they figure out it kills people who touch it.
Well worth watching if you can get a copy.

edit on 13/7/2011 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words added!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Of course i agree and when i said 'fondly' i meant remebered with more care, compassion or highsight.

It has been less than 6 months and it seems the majority of world MSM has forgotten about it and which also leads to the majority of people forgetting about it, well western in this case considering i live in Australia and i can't speak for the entire world but i am sure it is the same for many other countries.

It annoys me because it falls under a similar umbrella as subjects like, the poor and starving, third world nations, oppresion and military regimes (that are real and not made up or pushed on us by the government) the homeless and many other real, important and life critical subjects that go by us every single day and we remain ignorant to, even for those of us that think we like to recognise, realise or 'deny' ignorance it still goes by everyday and right undernose wether it be a local issue or world-wide.

This falls under the same category the only difference being that it was the result of a natural disaster but the human impact is still there and still occuring but in our lives it ceases to exist simply because the media decides it is no longer 'breaking news' or an 'excllusive' with the expception who keep up with online news or have a vested or sincere interest in the subject.

What those people have gone through not only in the initial Earthquake and following devastating Tsunami but then to face this Nuclear crisis in a disiaster on a monumental scale but yet a mere 3-6 months later the media and popular conversation has drifted away quite dramatically.

I can't even remember the last time i heard 'Japan - Earthquake/Tsunami/Radiation' mentioned on the TV along with all the other major natural disasters this year.... it's amazing how quickly we forget while the people that were in the 'firing-line' of the disaster still deal with the after effects. I hate to see any Human suffering whether it be the result of a natural disaster or man-made disaster - man made pproblems, wars and conflicts and somethig we should control and move beyond.

We should stick together and unite after natural disasters - they are our neighbours and friends, just i would hope for help if i was put in that situation as i am sure you would?

I have seen some post natural disaster efforts that have completly failed as have many other people.

I hate to think of what will become of the entire area surrounding the power plant, the 30km exclusion zone is still in forcer and depending on the exact amount of radiation released and surrounding background readings the entire area could be unihabitable just as Prypiat after the Chenoybl incident.

Although radiation levels have dropped significantly the area reamins a ghost town which is sad as before the Chenoybl incident Prypiat was considered to be one of the most modern and progressive cities in the then named 'The Soviet Union' (finally collapsing in 1991) to break off but also form Russia.

HK7 - Related Threads:

Japan quake dead and missing over 28,000 -- News Update (28/03/2011)

Japan Death Toll and Missing Surpasses 24,000

Media

Hk7
edit on 13-7-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
They haven't forgotten it's just that there is no new news coming out of the region that their audiences would tune in for. I don't want to turn on the news and see the same stories being repeated.

Remember that the msm is there to turn a profit and they do that by keeping people watching or reading their product. It needs to stay current and focused on what they perceive people want to see.

Nobody really cares about clean up efforts or more sad stories from the people there.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
I hate to think of what will become of the entire area surrounding the power plant, the 30km exclusion zone is still in forcer and depending on the exact amount of radiation released and surrounding background readings the entire area could be unihabitable just as Prypiat after the Chenoybl incident.
I don't know of any reason why it the Fukushima Daiichi site won't end up like another Prypiat did with Chernobyl.

I expect there will be a lot of similarities between Fukushima and Chernobyl, though details like the shape of the exclusion zone will differ of course.

The fallout map isn't really circular like the exclusion zones are:

The tomb at Chernobyl is still leaking over 20 years later and they are planning to build an even bigger one.

Work begins on Chernobyl shell

Twenty-two years after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, work is under way on a colossal new shelter to cover the ruins and deadly radioactive contents of the exploded Soviet-era power plant.
So is this where Fukushima will be in 22 years, building a new containment to fix the old leaky one?

Possibly. And you probably won't be able to safely eat any animals or vegetables grown in the vicinity for centuries, just like with Chernobyl. Even in Germany, the mushrooms and wild boar today are considered too toxic to eat, as a result of Chernobyl.

top topics

join