It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dismembered remains of missing NYC boy Leiby Kletzky found

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
More updates:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Well, yes, it is impossible for two-income families to pick their kids up from school. A large number of kids ride the buses, and they will have to at least walk home from the bus stop. Plus, you didn't distinguish between how it is any different to walk home from school, than it is to walk to a friend's house, or walk to the store. Should we live in a country where no kid can ever play outside on their own?

The law won't help, but it will set an example for the kids that we should give in to the violence. Setting the law, means we have given up that we can actually make the neighborhoods safe, and instead we have settled for locking ourselves indoors for our own good.

My solution has 3 parts:
1. My kids are 4 and 3, and they would already be wary of a stranger. They would already be confident enough to fight and make a scene. They already know the family password, and they won't leave with anybody, not even a close family friend, without the password. We need to raise smart, responsible, confident kids that can avoid bad situations, and get help if they are caught off guard by one. They need to be intelligent and savvy, and they need to know basic survival skills for their neighborhood. They don't have to be blackbelts, or carry a gun, but they need the skills to not be cornered by a stranger, not be alone in an isolated area, not walk up to a car window, be polite to a point, but know when to get scared and/or angry and make scene.

2. Parents do need to watch their kids as much as possible. So do friends and neighbors and other kids. People from the neighborhood should not be afraid to ask what is going on, or intervene in a situation that smells funny. It might be nothing more than saying, "Hi Tommy, who is your new friend? Your mom wanted me to give you some stuff to take home with you." It just takes a little bit of interference and a chance to escape. It might be a kick in the nuts and a run to the nearest busy intersection. Whatever it is, we should all be vigilant in what is going on in our own neighborhoods.

3. When that rare evil predator shows up. He should be dealt with publicly. Hung from the streetlights. Drug through the streets. Impaled at the end of the driveway. Whatever it takes! Criminals face death in their normal daily business. The death penalty is not a deterrent. Doing time in jail just gives them street cred. But, if they know the vigilantes in a neighborhood are going to skin them alive and let the rats nibble them to death, that is a little more of a deterrent. I have made it clear to even my closes friends, family, and in-laws, that they should pray for jail if they are ever guilty of intentionally harming my kids. In fact, I have told them the same things about ever frivolously calling the authorities like DCF. The penalties for harming my children in any way, or coming between me and my children in any way, are far more medieval than anything the law will allow. I can't advertise it, but most crimes are done by somebody that we know, or at least a friend of a friend or a random acquaintance. I hope my attitude is readily apparent enough that it filters through those 6 degrees of separation, and nobody will ever consider my child as a target!

Of course we can never stop it all. Just like we can't stop all spider bites, or meteors crashing into our homes, or tornadoes, or floods. We will never be 100% safe, and that is why I don't believe it is acceptable to continually make more laws to try and achieve 100% safety. When each new law fails, we just get more and more and more restrictive, until kids are educated in padded cells, and adults stay at home with the doors locked, and police patrol the streets and make random welfare checks without cause. We can't start down that slippery slope. This is not a job for the government. This is a job for parents, families, and neighborhoods.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thats all very nice but this is may come of a shock to you......a 3 and 4 year old is NOT street savvy and they are not psychology strong enough nor are they old enough to fight off an adult that attempts to kidnap them. Sorry mate, but you are really kidding yourself if you believe otherwise. They are still babies. I have 3 kids, 2 are adults and one becomes an adult in afew months.

When a van is parked next to the sidewalk, someone rolls the door open, no one in sight except a kid, mark my words, the kid is gone and he/she won't have time to scream. It happens in seconds. Thats all it takes.

That rare predator? In the USA alone, there are 1 million young kids missing each year. Now we all know a percentage of them are victims of custodial disputes, some forced in to sex slave trade, some are rebels or wild children and ran off but many of those kids disappeared out of thin air without any just cause. Thats a LOT of predators in the USA.

Most sex crimes upon children are committed by relatives/family and friends, yes.....but most psycho freaks that murder children have no connection to the family of the victims at all. These kids are taken at random.

Now I've lived a whole lot longer than you and have watched the world change from the 1950s to 2011. I think I have more insight about the psychology of children and the world in general.

If both parents are working then you book your children in to school aftercare until you arrive to pick them up or allocate a responsible caregiver to pick up your children after school and stay with them until you get home; if you can't do that then you are in no position to be debating with me on the pros and cons of bringing up children or the safety of our most prized subjects.

When parents become so irresponsible, Govt has to step in and make the rules on behalf of the children. You don't like it, then be a responsible parent and Govt won't have to take your "liberties" away from you as a parent.

Any mothers on this thread have any objections? There does not appear to be any at this point in time!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

I know my 3 and 4 year old are helpless against an adult. But, I'm not advocating that they run the streets at their age. I am only saying that even at their age, they are becoming mentally aware of threats and appropriate responses. When they are 7, 8, 10, 12 they will be fully prepared and capable of handling themselves in scary situations, and they will also be fully aware of how to avoid scary situations entirely.

You are right about the world changing since the 50's, but that is OUR FAULT! We can't just take the change for granted and feel powerless and helpless to its change. We can't just count on the schools and the governments to protect us from these increasing threats. We have to take the reins. We have to reverse the change. We have to hold ourselves responsible, our families responsible, our neighbors responsible. We have to be visible examples. We have to raise our kids to not be afraid, but to be vigilante and active in preventing these things, and in looking out for their friends as well.

I don't think you and I disagree as much as it seems. I am just entirely against any further rules or laws by the government, but I am entirely for making our children safer. Making them safer begins with you and I.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

You know the saying "it takes a village to bring up kids"; well that's all very nice and wishful thinking but we can't ignore whats lurking out there and just hope for the best. These bastards come in all shapes and sizes, all racial groups, religious denominations and soci-economic backgrounds. You never know who they are until after the fact and sometimes they lead normal lives, have families, and would'nt even be on a suspect list. They got lucky this time; commits a murder on a Monday and is arrained by Wednesday. Thats clever investigative work.

This particular person on interest concerns me to no end. Hearing noises in his head is a con and is using it obviously for legal reasons. It could very well get him 25 to life rather than life with no parole or better still, the death penalty. I'm aware he was involved in a major car accident where he was run over and he sustained serious head injuries that no doubt caused permanent brain damage, but mental illness? Not buying it. I hope some prison wardens read this post very very carefully with what I'm about to say. If this murderer commits suicide he will NOT be allowed a Jewish burial in a Jewish cemetary. If he is cremated, he will have no after life. If he dies by other means, his Rabbi will legally insist on his body be treated like that of any other Jew based upon his mental disability at the time of the offence and will receive immortality in the afterlife.

We may not be able to keep our eyes on our kids all the time; but I'm sure the same goes in a very large prison that is understaffed in the suicide watch section

edit on 16-7-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

We may not be able to keep our eyes on our kids all the time; but I'm sure the same goes in a very large prison that is understaffed in the suicide watch section

edit on 16-7-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

See I knew we agreed on some level!

I don't really believe in all that religious ceremonial stuff, and I don't think it has any bearing on one's soul, but if he believes it, and if believing it brings him suffering, then I'm all for it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join