It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck and cover, start of the lies?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
...lots of people questioned the (lack of) intelligence behind duck&cover, even little kids (i was one of em)... its not like the power of "the bomb" was kept a secret after hiroshima and nagasaki... before i started school, i'd seen photos, films and heard lots of commentary... it didnt take a genius to figure out that duck&cover wasnt going to save my buns...

Originally posted by BoneMosaic
why did they believe it?

...lotsa folks sucked down government propaganda like it was mother's milk (or beer, whatever your preference)... in that regard, usofa citizens were no different than german citizens under hitler or russians under lenin or stalin and, ya know, not much has changed in that regard...

I can't find anything that reports peoples objection to such a preposterous thing.

...hint: there was no internet back then...

...seriously - speaking out against government propaganda was dangerous - especially during the mccarthy era but we cant blame everything on joe... there was (and still is) a big segment of society who are fascists and they will demonize you and yours in a heartbeat if you dont help tow their line of bs...

And their acceptance is why I've been thinking It's the start to all the lies.

...no - it wasnt the start, not even close... i suspect it began when aliens landed and decided to hang around for a while and the myths of gods were created...

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Thankyou all for your input, I got some good info and opinions from you.

Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
You are taking too simplistic of a view of a nuke attack.

If you are in the immediate blast area you are vaporized.

Just beyond that you are likely to be shredded.

Just beyond that you are likely to be burned to death by the intense infrared radiation. Anything between you and the blast point can shield you from this to one degree or another. Depending on the material used and its thickness.

Just beyond that the infrared radiation would severely burn you. Unless you put something between you and the blast direction. Simple plywood will do nicely. But the blast side will scorch or catch fire.

The cancer causing radiation (ionizing type) comes in two forms.
One it will be a pinpoint source from the blast point. The denser material the material you have between you and the blast the better. Obviously lead is preferred due to its density per inch. The strength of this radiation is inversely proportional with the square of the distance from the blast. Meaning the radiation is one forth as strong at 4 miles as it is at 2 miles. This radiation lasts only as long as the nuclear reaction is going on. After that it’s done and over.

The second will be the nuclear fallout. It will cover the area and drift down wind. Get out of the area, wash yourself and take iodine.

Duck and cover is just as valid today as it was decades ago.
If you want to stand up and take your blast like a man, go ahead. I’ll still duck and cover and take my chances with cancer. Not everyone at Hiroshima died from blast or cancer. Many died from old age. Guess where they were when the blast went off?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist
reply to post by BoneMosaic

Extended version:

The New American Century

Thank you for your bringing to light the existance of this documentary. It's revelations about what America has truly become have shattered any pride I had, that remained in being an American.

IT ALSO HAS SHOWN ME WHAT THEY HAVE IN STORE FOR US ~AS~ AMERICANS...

UNFORTUNATELY, BECAUSE AMERICA REFUSES TO GRAB THE RIFLE OUT OF THE HANDS THAT CURRENTLY ARE USING IT... THAT IT IS SOMETHING THEY AGREE WITH.

It will all go to hell...

soon.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

...hint: there was no internet back then...

...seriously - speaking out against government propaganda was dangerous - especially during the mccarthy era but we cant blame everything on joe... there was (and still is) a big segment of society who are fascists and they will demonize you and yours in a heartbeat if you dont help tow their line of bs...

I was thinking that perhaps somewhere there would have been an arcticle from anewspaper, or magazine back then that would have found it silly.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I was thinking that perhaps somewhere there would have been an arcticle from anewspaper, or magazine back then that would have found it silly.

...probably is somewhere... look in non-conventional areas cuz msm was mostly bs back then too... might find some criticsm in a comic routine... don rickles comes to mind... he attacked everything, lol...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join