It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hampshire defunds planned parenthood, birth control pills price skyrocket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I don't like Planned Parenthood since they are part of eugenics... but birth control pills should be affordable still. Planned parenthood should be disbanded, but big pharma shouldn't be able to screw birth control pills prices like that... it's a big scam.

Planned Parenthood Defunded In New Hampshire

Until July 1, a low-income New Hampshire woman paid an average of $5 to fill a birth control pill prescription at any of the state's six Planned Parenthood clinics. She might have even gotten the birth control for free, depending on her poverty level.

But since the New Hampshire Executive Council voted to cancel the state's contract with Planned Parenthood, a woman now has to pay anywhere from $40 to over $100 for birth control pills at a regular pharmacy.

"We can't even provide patients with antibiotics for urinary tract infections or STDs anymore," said Jennifer Frizzell, a spokesperson for Planned Parenthood of Northern New England. She said Planned Parenthood has had to turn away 20 to 30 patients a day who are showing up to refill their prescriptions.

"We have to send them away with a prescription knowing that without insurance, they have to pay the full cost of that at a local pharmacy, and many patients have told us they're not gonna have the money in their budget to afford to fill those prescriptions."

This is pretty bad... and it might/will lead to more abortions... which is even worse.

But not only that but STDs and cancers will probably rise.

About 42 percent of women in the state who qualified for family planning subsidies sought care at one of the state's six Planned Parenthood clinics. Frizzell said many patients were drawn into the clinics to fill a birth control prescription, and would then agree to an annual pap smear or STD testing. Abortions accounted for only three percent of PPNNE's services.

That's bad... and in the long run, those people who would have avoided all those medical problems because of those pap tests and STD testing are gonna end up in the hospital, costing everyone way much more money. Prevention is way cheaper.
edit on 13-7-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Odd. How is a higher birth-rate w/i any party's interest? Or the associated health-care costs?

I'm not a tremendous fan of the pill, what with the crazy-making properties, and the correlated cancer risks, but sheesh.

I must confess, I have yet to read the sited article. Was the funding pulled due to the "federal/state funded abortion" canard?

Edit to add:

The three Councilors who voted against funding for Planned Parenthood said they did so because some of its clinics provide abortions, even though those abortions are entirely privately funded. Councilor Raymond Wieczorek of Manchester added that he opposed funding for birth control and condoms altogether.

"If they want to have a good time, why not let them pay for it?" he told the Concord Monitor last week.

Sounds like a man well accustomed to paying for a good time.

edit on 13-7-2011 by mistermonculous because: Follow-up

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Eugenics? Really? I thought all they did was give out cheap/free birth control and services for women. I had friends go there for cheap bc and never once did they get indoctrinated into a selective breeding program.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Interesting chapter in 'Freakonomics' about how Roe vs Wade actually accounted for an unexpected reduction in crime a generation later. Reason? Less unwanted babies hitting the streets as angry teenagers.

The decision to stop subsidising public birth control is moronic at best, and as far as 'cost savings'? The social costs will take care of that pretty darn quick...starting at about 9 months from now. Mind you, politicians don't think past the next election anyway, which is why they toss out these sops to the mouthbreathers in the first place.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Eugenics?

Can you please cite one example of Planned Parenthood choosing to kill someone to alter the gene pool?

I had no idea that Planned Parenthood had an agenda to increase favorable genetic traits within the American population.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
If $40 - $100 is beyond your means then a box of condoms is still a bargain.
I'm no fan of planned parenthood either but the alternate abstinence programs aren't much better IMO.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
If $40 - $100 is beyond your means then a box of condoms is still a bargain.

Condoms do not allow for a woman to have discrete control over her fertility...which makes this a woman's issue.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This is going to be an interesting experiment. Now that the taxpayers in New Hampshire aren't buying birth control pills for low income women, what will they place higher on their 'disposable income' lists? Will local crack and meth sales slump, or will there be more 'addicted in the womb' babies born to them?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
This is going to be an interesting experiment. Now that the taxpayers in New Hampshire aren't buying birth control pills for low income women, what will they place higher on their 'disposable income' lists? Will local crack and meth sales slump, or will there be more 'addicted in the womb' babies born to them?

I think it's disgraceful to arbitrarily associate low income women with drug addiction.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Since the NH contract is 20% of their budget, with 80% from private donations, rather then cry about funding cutbacks, do a better job of soliciting donations. Matter of fact, all you upset about this are more then free to send money at anytime to hel these ladies

top topics

join