It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star system (comment idea)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Hi guys, a forum I used to freqyent had a similar recognition system for individual posts as our star system here at ATS (although the other forum gave the option of providing a negative rating as well); the best part of it was that you could include a comment with your rating that the poster could see in their UserCP.

I think something similar here would be great, I'd love to know what it was about my post that someone found enlightening, just a thought.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by posthuman
Hi guys, a forum I used to freqyent had a similar recognition system for individual posts as our star system here at ATS (although the other forum gave the option of providing a negative rating as well); the best part of it was that you could include a comment with your rating that the poster could see in their UserCP.

I think something similar here would be great, I'd love to know what it was about my post that someone found enlightening, just a thought.

It wouldn't be practical considering the amount of stars some posts receive, would make the profiles look a mess and be over kill for the servers.

In general, when someone gives you a star and wants to comment why they usually include their explanation in a reply to your post and mention they gave you a star.

The way to look at is when you receive a star someone is more than likely agreeing with you.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

You're right, although I don't think it would be hard to keep comments in a table on their own page within MyATS - like I said, was just a thought.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I made a similar suggestion on another tread but a little different, as in you restrict the starring and flagging of threads to only those people that have bothered to comment in that thread, It would stop the mindless staring of people just on the basis of who they like as they would actually have to read and think of something useful to say about a subject before they gave out a flag / star

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I think being able to optionally leave a comment attached to why you have given a star is a good idea, not everyone would like to do this and usually will just mention that they have given a star. The other thing to consider is that I don't think negative stars is a good idea... It promotes segregation and negativity amongst users.

But yes the ability to optionally leave a comment with a star would be nice - perhaps each user on a post could also select if they want to receive Star Comments or not.. so they can controll the influx or lack there of coming in from posts they make.. especially if they go viral within the Edit Post period of time.. they can then disable the function etc..

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Don't think it's a good idea as it can possibly drown out minority opinions.

Besides, people are still free to post why they don't agree with a post or thread within the thread itself....or by a simple u2u.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I don't know what the right answer is, but I dont think the current system is fair
- but life isn't fair is it.. luckily this isn't life, its a rating system thats outdated

I think its obnoxious when I put a lot of thought into a post, get zero stars, but a gold member comes along and says almost the same exact thing a couple of posts (or pages) after mine, and gets 10 stars
- But I'm mostly over it. Its hard to care about something that only works for a handful of people.

At this point, to me, it just means I am not really part of this community. Without the pretty gold border, I'm going to be overlooked for the most part. Its no secret that the majority of posters around here want to get their 2 cents in and don't read the entire thread... I can only assume they scan pages for borders and stars...
- Which really doesn't matter to me anymore either, because the people who are overlooking my posts in search of the gold border, are not people I care to know anyway.

I agree with the OP here though. There "should be" a change to the system. One small "unstar" option or a "negative star" option. I'm preferring the latter. A popular request I hope is being taken into consideration, because in my short time here its been brought up MULTIPLE times.
- Again though, I think my entire post here is in vain. I suspect I'll be ignored/disregarded/insulted and/or someone will yell at me that "this is how it is" and if "you don't like it you can leave" or in an extreme instance they won't read all of my post, and assume its written out of "jealousy" for those gold posters
disregarding completely that this is the PREVAILING ATTITUDE of people I'm encountering here on this website. Even more sadly, from some of the "higher" ups who should be better than that.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Forevever,

I wouldn't look at it like that at all! In fact I reckon the big dogs (site owners & staff) would be disappointed to read that post. Everyone on here is equal, regardless of the amount of stars/flags they receive - at the end of the day we are all human beings and can learn something from everyone else.

For the record, the majority of users on here will read a post before they add a star or comment, I'd say that users looking to simply add stars to familiar faces are in the minority.

I've read most of your posts recently and you seem quite intelligent with a different outlook on things and you have also made some really good points.

Don't be too hard on yourself, the stars and flags will come but remember the majority of us aren't interested in peoples status - just interested about their opinions and what they have to say.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Just because you were nice enough to reply (and you already know this from chat) - I did not include you in the majority.

However, even YOU have made a snide comment to me - but I let it slide because it was out of character in my experience of you - at least so far.

But no, I stand by what I said - I don't mind if people say harsh things to me I can take it - its what they say to other people that is bad - and even worse when they "quoted" a "reply" (see my other thread) and it becomes a huge misunderstood insult to the wrong person

This is not a reflection on the owners, this is just how people are.

I'd like to be able to de-star them ♥
edit on 14-7-2011 by Forevever because: url

new topics

top topics

join