It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Be Aware of the West Nile Virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The West Nile Virus has become a definite concern for citizens of the United States. So far it has been recorded in 47 states, and been detected in humans, horses, mosquitoes, and birds. Hawaii, Alaska and Oregon are the only states who have not had reported human, equine, bird, or mosquito cases of the disease.

West Nile is typically spread by mosquitoes, which feed on birds infected with the virus. Mostly those infected don�t have severe reactions to the disease, but they may have flu-like symptoms. About 1 percent of those infected become seriously ill, and those who are elderly, or have weak immune systems are at greater risk.

Thirteen people have died from the West Nile Virus this year alone. The most recent case, a 57-year-old man from California. California makes up 5 out of 13 deaths in the United States from the virus.

Experts believe that West Nile is preventable, simply by clearing standing water where mosquitoes breed from property and surrounding areas. Some California officials have gone as far as fining citizens $1,000 for not cleaning up standing water on their property.

Out of 274 total West Nile cases Arizona is reporting three deaths while Iowa, Ohio and Texas, Mississippi and Florida have reported one each for the year.

Currently there is no vaccine for humans, but there is one for horses. It is reported that a vaccine for humans would be an economic gamble because of the low demand. Chiron, a drug company in California, is currently doing research to create a vaccine, but they are waiting to see how badly the disease spreads. Approximate estimates for creating a vaccine could be over $300 million.

Acambis, a British drug company, has recently started testing its vaccine on humans. They had a setback when 2 of their test subjects had protein in the urine, which could mean kidney damage. Acambis does not believe that the vaccine caused this. There are several drug companies attempting to create a vaccine for this virus, but they are using caution.

Mosquitoes are the biggest concern for West Nile Virus. Flu-like symptoms including, rashes, headache, high fever, stiffness and tremors can be associated with the disease. 1 in 150 who contract this virus will develop more serious symptoms of the disease.

Map Courtesy of www.cdc.gov...

Related News Links:
www.cdc.gov
westnilevirus.nbii.gov
www.westnile.ca.gov
www.mercurynews.com

[edit on 8-12-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Very informative article, drg. Thanks alot!

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
There is also suspicion that a 24 year-old man who died last Friday in an LA suburb of "flu-like" symptoms may have acquired West Nile Virus . The coroner has yet to determine a cause of death.
Another possible West Nile case in Los Angeles?

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
worth resurrecting this perhaps

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Romeo, West Nile isn't an airborne disease, its contracted through mosquito bites.

**nevermind. I just finished reading it lol.

[edit on 12-8-2004 by deeprivergal]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
West Nile is considered to be epidemic in the Phoenix metropolitan area. We have had 3 confirmed deaths and CDC estimates that there are over 30,000 people infected. Most who are infected do not show any signs of illness. Maricopa County has more cases of WNV than all of the rest of the country combined.
The chief culprits are the fruit trees which draw the birds. The birds then infect the mosquitos (the birds being the hosts and the mosquitos the carriers to humans).
My husband and I both suffered a flu-like illness about 6 weeks ago. It lasted about 48 hours and our temps were up to 101. We suspect we had contracted West Nile. Fortunately, once you have had West Nile, you are immune. However, we take major precautions. We do not go outside early in the morning or in late afternoon. We use a deat mosquito repellant and wear clothing that covers our arms and legs while outside (a major problem in this climate)
Perhaps this seems paronoid, as only a very small fraction of those infected die, but we don't want to take any chances. Those most at risk are older people and those with comprised immune systems.
joey

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't west nile first make its big splash in New York. Once a bird has contracted west nile, how long before it dies? Can a bird infected live long enough to make a trans-Atlantic flight? Can a mosquito make a trans-Atlantic flight? The first WTC bombing and then the suicide attacks... New York. One plane takes off and explodes over the North Atlantic. Departure from... New York. Another aircraft takes off and crashes into the Atlantic by a suicidal Egyptian. Departure from... New York. Elevated terror alert, where?...New York. I think we have been under attack for quite some time, and I know the Clinton administration would have never let it be known publicly. Oh, and why is it called the "west nile" virus? Could it be an indicator of origin? Who lives in that area?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Hello all
West nilo virus as reached South of Portugal, Algarve!!!

They(the media) only told us this year about the existence of this virus, when two irish people caught the virus this month August, when they were observing birds near a river in Algarve.
But they(the government) knew since year 2000. But knothing was told to the public until know.

crustas

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'd rather take my chances with the West Nile virus rather than cover myself with Deat.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Veebomb_Canada
I'd rather take my chances with the West Nile virus rather than cover myself with Deat.

An argument duly noted with my Dear Husband. He uses the Deet and I take my chances.
joey

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
i live in colorado and the virus was worse last year than this year. Someone I work with had the virus about 3 weeks ago. I live in the mountains and have bug zapper lights and OFF spray everywhere. It is recomended to get rid of still standing water. Especially with all this rain the country is having this year.
Good find!!
That odd that oregon hasnt had one case.....so close to Cali though.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ortho makes a product that you attach to your garden hose and spray the lawn with. There are also some moth-ball type things that you can drop into puddles of standing watter to kill the larvae.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
A 32 year-old man has been confirmed as having the first case of West Nile Virus in Ventura County (just north of Los Angeles). He was treated and is doing well.

www.nbc4.tv...

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
We had west nile up here in Toronto last year.

Not fun when you really enjoy camping.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Much of Phoenix receives it lawn water through irrigation. We finally had a lush lawn and, then, this West Nile thing came along. We made the decision to cut off irrigation(at the expense of the lawn) because of the problem of standing water.
It's odd that the city authorities, who are considering all sorts of weird possibilites to stop the virus, have never recommended stopping irrigation. We called the Health Dept. and they recommended it, however.
joey

top topics

join