It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb Commercials for Dumb People: Media Turns People into Drooling Idiots

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

In what world does college = smart?

Some of the dumbest people I have ever met in my life are in college simply because they can throw a football.

Some of the smartest people I have ever met in my life aren't in college because they can't throw a football.

This is why America is dumbed down and all of the advanced jobs are going overseas... we're giving stupid people a free education, and smart people are left to work at Walmart or McDonalds because they can't afford college.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

It's called the "Office Space Technique" It's much more handy than people give credit to. (Doesn't work on Geology books though)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Well even us stupid people have to do the work and take the tests.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Yes...

And I know very well that because I only like "Math and Physics" and learning and what not... it will be tough to get in a good college WHILE IT BEING AFFORDABLE, because my piano skills are less than legendary, and I prefer not to delude my love math with Saturday sporting events. Even with good grades and interest in knowledge it seems impossible to get a deserving education.... the government really does just want only rich people/football players to be have oppurtunity.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

And to add to Party Girls great advice: Open your front / back door, walk out of it, ( Preferably locking it behind you.) and walk down the street taking in the world about you, say " hello " to real people, ( Some might not reply, that's their problem ! ) Take in the weather, wonder at the night sky, the infinite cosmos... And when you come back, use the internet to educate yourselves about whatever takes your fancy. I did'nt take the chance to educate myself whilst at school, but now the internet is an invaluable source of information, from which I've learnt a vast amount about the world around me and beyond...
p.s. If you need an excuse to get out and about, get a dog... they're always a good talking point when meeting people. ( And it'll put off some of the unsavoury characters walking our streets.)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Yes people have lost their minds.
If you have Facebook - post about some real world issue, not even some "crazy" conspiracy - just mp expenses, bankers etc - and not one person replies.
Post that the pizza you ordered was the best you've had all year and you get 8 comments and 33 likes!?!?
General population - switched off entirely.

Makes me wonder what it will take for people to care again?
Is it apathy, stupidity, ignorance? What is it exactly.
I try talking to family about some stuff as well - and its a waste of time.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Well summarised, Adyta. Unfortunately, some of the dumbest people through wealth, privilege, corruption, bribery, and connections rise to great power, whether in the poilitical or business world, which is why the
world is in the state it is, now.
Some of the best deep thinkers I know, have no Degrees / qualifications, are'nt from wealthy families, and
will never be able to rise to a position to use their intelligence for the betterment of mankind.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
S+F

It's like the movie Idiocracy but only real life. I hate watching commercials too. There's only a few shows I even like watching on TV anymore.

2nd

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by kro32

Maybe you should? after all your going to college to earn a degree that pretty much means nothing in this day and age..it's just a way to increase debt on you, because debt = slavery.

Thats very much true but i think overall a university degree is much better choice, it gives more chances in a job sector, but honestly a college degree is worthless.
edit on 13-7-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
As someone who is involved in the business of branding and marketing, I must admit, I have actually become more interested in commercials lately. In the recent past, the majority of commercials had been pretty vanilla, although now, they seem to be taking on a more fun, creative, and entertaining direction. I've noticed that nearly every category of product can now be marketed with this approach and still include some uniqueness to it. Never have I found myself laughing at more commercials now, than I have in the past, as some of them are truly genius ideas. I think it's a change for the better, and bravo to those who are taking risk in order to show some personality in their brands.

You must keep in mind, these consumer market advertisers are most often promoting for their own personal benefit, not for some larger agenda. Businesses are doing whatever they can right now to survive and flourish, and the way they market themselves is the way for them to spread the message of their identity. The fact that these companies are being more personal, is what is causing them to stand out more. Regardless of how you view them, they want to be like a stain on your brain - I know, that sounds corny, but that's the objective.

To be honest, I can't even recall a time where a TV ad has inspired me to buy into their brand. In no way has an ad really 'sold' me on their brand. If anything, it gives me an idea of the type of environment the brand provides, but I know full-well it doesn't guarantee it. Unfortunately, most people just believe in any ole' thing they're told.

This is where the lines get crossed, simply because most people are under the impression that some magic filter is in place to protect their best interests. This isn't the case, nor will it ever be. People have to make decisions, and the sad truth is that people love convenience, especially consumers, and it's just more convenient for their decisions to be made for them, rather than them make them on their own. The mainstream media is the perfect example of this. It's not that people are stupid, necessarily, they are just easily manipulated.

And I can't say I totally agree with your last statement, since the establishment doesn't have to resort to this type of marketing. It's just that currently, it's effective, and as the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?".

Consider also the fact that most of these brands want their ads to go viral on the web, especially those geared towards a younger audience - this is why many of them are completely over the top, in some way. Unlike traditional 'vanilla' advertisement, which gets relatively no traction, viral ads get spread around in a multitude of ways, and this can save a company millions of dollars in marketing costs. Often, a company reinvests 20%+ of their profits into marketing, so it's only logical to hop on bandwagon, if you have that option.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I can't stand the GOSHDARN free credit report dot com commercials (BTW it isn't free so WTF happened to false advertising liabilities?) I want to punch the company in it's face at least the marketing department anyway. And I hate the State Farm Mayhem guy, they were funny at first, but now I find them annoying too. I like Orbitz commercials they're pretty hilarious, but I don't buy the product. Truth is a lot of them are just getting more creative and some are just downright annoying. Either way I bet you all are humming that retardo free credit report dot com jingle cause it gets stuck in your head.
As and aside to both the boy bands who sung their jingles: You will never get signed, you suck!

Ok that little rant is over!

edit on 13-7-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling grrrrrrrrrrrr

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
First let me say this and as i will continue to say it; IDIOCRACY IS A PROPHETIC FILM!

and i see other users on here agree.

i personally just started watching tv again this year regularly after some 9 years of hardly ever watching. Only a fewer good shows around, but way fewer commercials that are even worth any attention. and my pet peeves are with the op, its sad and annoying.
My top worsts.
5.) Every commercial on fox news ch, as they never change. ever.
4.)the general auto ins, and uncreative geico nonsense
3.)JG wentworth musicals
2.) all pharma commercials, reminding how pleasant i can be while listing the most horrible side effects ive ever heard
1.) sobe's "try everything" stare contest (while playin annoying ass teach me how to dougie in the background)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The last TV I owned I threw out the window after Bush won his second term (true story). I now concentrate on discovering new books and online research.

I have to say I lost most of my TV watching friends, Its almost like I'm a different species or something. They use TV references to explain their points and I just shrug my shoulders and say "What"?

I totally agree with the OP.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Someone brought up the free credit report commercials and it reminded me of the most annoying commercial I have ever seen. The one with the girl singing about taking her classes online (education connection) with horrible lyrics, annoying singing, and the worst lip syncing I have ever seen.

"im takin my classes online
gettin' my degree on my own time"

Every time it comes on, I scramble for the remote so I can mute it.
edit on 7/13/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Who needs TV when you have the internet?
Nowadays you can watch almost everything online.

Besides, I refuse to pay ~$20 a month extra just to watch commercials with programs in between.
edit on 13-7-2011 by Airi81 because: typo

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
If you watch a movie on tv, they cut 1/3 of it just to make room for advertising. Anyway 60$ in here to watch repeating programs or 10 min of film for 4 min of ads is a waste of money.
the FOOD channel, the KIDS channel, the SPORTS channel, the SHOPPING channel, the MTV gala,
the OSCARS ceremony, the SUPERBOWL...its all organised to sell advertising

I dont own a tv, i think outside of the box.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
America welcome to your future

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

England welcome to YOUR future.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Almost four years ago I did smash my TV. Since then whenever I see TV I am in amazement at how insulting advertising is. People are repeatedly told that they are stupid and incapable of making decisions. If not that, it is companies saying that they are for me, my or you. I watched the news at a friends once and every advert was the same. My bank, my supermarket, my car, my random useless junk, etc. The only way to defend yourself from this is to be rid of the poison.

Unfortunately we cannot escape every advert, I find billboards to be the most intrusive. We fight graffiti with passion, but billboards are "fine" because they are paid for. At my train stop they often have bill boards that insult people, I've seen ones saying, your fat and you smell, also other ones going as far as saying something like: 'Attention target audience, buy our product.' It's pathetic. But considering advertising is one of the most researched and psychological industries that mostly works. perhaps morons who buy into it deserve it.

Take pride in not being won over by their idiocy.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Apparently this one is marketed to the stupidest people alive, who were never teenagers and therefore do not know what that is or what happens, who blame themselves for their kid's zits, and who don't know what "duo" means. Also they apparently can't even understand the process of putting cream on since it has to be explained that it "does all this great stuff" to help acne. We also are mystified by biology, as well, according to the kindergarten teacher, I mean announcer, who is speaking to us idiots.

www.youtube.com... Epiduo commercial

BUT, let's not forget, stupidity has its place in commercials! Just not in us, lol.

I LOVE this Hardee's commercial. It is stupid done right

.www.youtube.com...

edit on 13-7-2011 by Copperflower because: add video

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join